Favourite type of cardio

Options

Replies

• km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Breastfeeding

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fthumbs.gfycat.com%2FNippyVapidCaimanlizard-size_restricted.gif&key=b1e305db91cf4aa5a86b732cc9fffceb
  • bojack3
    bojack3 Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    bojack3 wrote: »
    Boxing.

Real boxing, with 16oz gloves against an opponent.
    Not a cardio class wearing 4 oz gloves and hitting a free-standing "bag".

While sparring is great if you are a boxer, its not the highest caloric burn for most fighters. Dont get me wrong, its a necessity to be a real fighter, and its also my favorite thing to do. ...but i can spar all day and not get the cardio benefits the remainder of my workout gives me.

I understand your point and I agree with it in principle, but I said BOXING, not sparring.
    Ring time, 3*3 rounds minimum, full-contact.
    It is practically textbook HIIT cardio.

That aside, there are different types of cardio for fighters (or any other endeavor) because of the specificity of exercise.
    A boxer's cardio does not carry over much to a grappler's and vise versa.
    A grappler's cardio can peak very quickly because you learn how to relax and conserve energy.
    That is a lot harder to do when you are slipping punches.

I didn't say boxing was the BEST type of cardio; I said it was my favorite.
    * I've been coaching fighters (boxers, grapplers, MMA, etc) for almost 30 years and my fighters have the gold medals from competitions like NAGA and K-1 to attest to it.

That's excellent. I have been a boxer for well over 30 yrs myself....amateur and professional. I now train both as well. I am well aware of what is required to compete as a fighter. I have long preached to well conditioned athletes that come into the gym thinking because they are in top shape they can box, that pressure in the ring will change that.

But I was speaking for myself as well. 3-3min rounds at this point of my boxing experience would barely raise my heart rate. However 2 hrs of bag, pad, and rope work in HIIT style sure does.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    Breastfeeding

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fthumbs.gfycat.com%2FNippyVapidCaimanlizard-size_restricted.gif&key=b1e305db91cf4aa5a86b732cc9fffceb

Ouch!!!! Poor momma
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    Breastfeeding

You kill me with your gifs. :laugh: Momma is not even breakin' a sweat, but little one is gonna take a big ole NAP after he/she is done.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I mega-loathe cardio so I don't do it nearly as often as I should. I'll occasionally run but only will really do it leading up to or participating in a 5/10k with my wife (who runs 3-4x week like some sort of nut, but refuses to pick up a weight). Our neighborhood is pretty nice to run in and we have a treadmill for inclement weather. I also found a steal on a spin bike which I used consistently for a time when watching TV or playing video games but never really got into it too much. Efficiency is always a plus and I come close to enjoying using a rowing machine, it only takes a few km to get a good workout in.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    By propelling my body through water by using my limbs, or (in the case of a fish or other aquatic animal) by using fins, tail, or other bodily movement.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Mine is running - outside. Treadmill running is boring with a capital B, too much like a chore.

Its the one thing I do that is fitness goal oriented and I like to challenge myself (I have a half marathon this coming Saturday for example). Its also my stress reliever, my 'me' time as well as I need to have some time to myself.

OP to lose body fat you mention, sticking to your calorie deficit is what's going to give you results in that aspect. Cardio is great for health and/or fitness related goals, but if you really want to improve tummy, arms, etc. pick up some weights or start out with body weight (look at Fitness Blender, etc) you will get some great results. That said, you can do any cardio you want based on indoor/outdoor, equipment you plan to buy, or doing it outside, etc.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    spin class
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    The StairMaster is my jam.
  • fatguy_fitness
    fatguy_fitness Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Running and mountain biking. I love swimming, but don't really get the chance to do it.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    But I was speaking for myself as well. 3-3min rounds at this point of my boxing experience would barely raise my heart rate. However 2 hrs of bag, pad, and rope work in HIIT style sure does.

If we are talking pure HIIT cardio, then I concur 100%:
    Just 5 or 10 minutes of skipping rope properly would probably give much of the population a heart attack - literally.

If we are talking pure bang-for-your-buck (pun intended) then 3x3 ring work is more EFFICIENT than 2 hours of conditioning for most people, but you could definitely get a better workout in those 2 hours by putting someone through the whole gauntlet.
    No argument there.

One of my guys used to bike in the MS 150 every year. 150 miles in the saddle.
    He was gassed within 45 seconds of our first round the day he joined our gym. I tapped him out with kimura moments later. I even gave him a 10 second countdown - out loud.

All of that being said, I would assert that 90%+ of the people on these forums who claim they are "in shape" would not survive 3 rounds of sparring (even if their opponent were not trying for a TKO). Seems like you concur.
    2 hours of full conditioning for a fight would make most of them want to die 1/2 way in.
    Exercise adaptations and conditioning are is too specific when you "specialize" in just running or biking.
    That is where people like triathletes and The Cult of Crossfit ;) have an advantage: less specialization.

Glad to know there is someone else here who appreciates the Sweet Science.

I just think the time in the ring is more *fun* than the rest of the conditioning.
    I like hitting people. It makes me happy.

* In addition, I loathe the people use the "Woo" button on here for things they don't agree with or don't want to be true, even when you are speaking in terms of facts and evidence.
    Looks like someone did it to your post and one of mine in this same thread.

That is not what "Woo" means, people.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options

Just 5 or 10 minutes of skipping rope properly could give much of the population a heart attack - literally.

If we are talking pure bang-for-your-buck (pun intended) then 3x3 ring work is more EFFICIENT than 2 hours of conditioning for most people, but you could definitely get a better workout in those 2 hours by putting someone through the whole gauntlet.
    No argument there.

He was gassed within 45 seconds of our first round the day he joined out gym. I tapped him out with kimura moments later. I even gave him a 10 second countdown - out loud.

All of that being said, I would assert that 90%+ of the people on these forums who claim they are "in shape" would not survive 3 rounds of sparring (even if their opponent were not trying for a TKO). Seems like you concur.
    2 hours of full conditioning for a fight would make most of them want to die 1/2 way in.
    Exercise adaptations and conditioning are is too specific when you "specialize" in just running or biking.
    That is where people like triathletes and The Cult of Crossfit ;) have an advantage: less specialization.

I just think the time in the ring is more *fun* than the rest of the conditioning.

* In addition, I loathe the people use the "Woo" button on here for things they don't agree with or don't want to be true, even when you are speaking in terms of facts and evidence.

I agree, sports are the best cardio, but not always possible for everyone, everyday.
  • projectsix
    projectsix Posts: 5,088 Member
    Options
    Max incline treadmill at X mph
  • bojack3
    bojack3 Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options

Just 5 or 10 minutes of skipping rope properly would probably give much of the population a heart attack - literally.

No argument there.

He was gassed within 45 seconds of our first round the day he joined our gym. I tapped him out with kimura moments later. I even gave him a 10 second countdown - out loud.

You have me in full agreement on absolutely everything you say here.

And just about everything I say gets woo'd on here.....
  • niamhdean97
    niamhdean97 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I tried some HIIT by the body coach and it was horrible Haha! I thought running with a buggy would be dangerous. I don't really have the money to do any classes or the time with a baby but really want to flatten my tummy and tighten up my arms.

I have been doing blogilates on YouTube doing her 5 moves to the best arms, booty and abs videos (they are three different videos) but I think I need to loose the belly fat before seeing a difference but not sure as I'm very new to this
  • niamhdean97
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Mine is running - outside. Treadmill running is boring with a capital B, too much like a chore.

Its the one thing I do that is fitness goal oriented and I like to challenge myself (I have a half marathon this coming Saturday for example). Its also my stress reliever, my 'me' time as well as I need to have some time to myself.

OP to lose body fat you mention, sticking to your calorie deficit is what's going to give you results in that aspect. Cardio is great for health and/or fitness related goals, but if you really want to improve tummy, arms, etc. pick up some weights or start out with body weight (look at Fitness Blender, etc) you will get some great results. That said, you can do any cardio you want based on indoor/outdoor, equipment you plan to buy, or doing it outside, etc.

Thank you for the comment. I am very new to this but I thought that cardio was the way to lose body fat and weights were for building muscle. So I thought to loose weight I would have to do cardio as much as I hate it hahaha. Cardio really does feel like a chore though
  • Whey125
    Whey125 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    High impact interval training like insanity vids, fitness blender or bodyrocker
  • RoxieDawn
    edited April 2018
    Options

Thank you for the comment. I am very new to this but I thought that cardio was the way to lose body fat and weights were for building muscle. So I thought to loose weight I would have to do cardio as much as I hate it hahaha. Cardio really does feel like a chore though

Don't ever do anything you hate doing, cause eventually you will stop doing it. Weights will help you build a little muscle, which you can because you are new to doing it, these will taper off but you can maintain those muscles while you lose body fat. You can do a little of both if you like. You can start with body weight as well.

There are some body weight and dumbbell routines and links in this if you are interested.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Wooing. I get paid .6 per Woo. So I just chill online and Woo all day. :smiley:
  • niamhdean97
    Options

Don't ever do anything you hate doing, cause eventually you will stop doing it. Weights will help you build a little muscle, which you can because you are new to doing it, these will taper off but you can maintain those muscles while you lose body fat. You can do a little of both if you like. You can start with body weight as well.

There are some body weight and dumbbell routines and links in this if you are interested.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Thank you. My main focus is to lose the body fat around my tummy and upper arms. That is my first goal. I'm not seriously overweight or anything but would love to gain some confidence in my body. I'm so fed up of feeling conscious and want to feel good about myself. I try to go for a fast paced walk everyday with my little one in the buggy which I enjoy. I just don't know where to go next with it all as I just really want to lose the belly and arm fat to feel good