Protein

Options
What does everyone use for a protein. I’ve had about 12 different kinds and as of right now I use gnc wheybolic alpha. It’s starting to become a hassle spending $60 on a tub every 20 days. What’s some advice?? What’s good protein vs bad protein? Expensive proteins vs cheap proteins??

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    jcard369 wrote: »
    What does everyone use for a protein. I’ve had about 12 different kinds and as of right now I use gnc wheybolic alpha. It’s starting to become a hassle spending $60 on a tub every 20 days. What’s some advice?? What’s good protein vs bad protein? Expensive proteins vs cheap proteins??

I try and get my protein mainly from foods. I like ON protein powders.or muscletech brand for when I have to supplement and they are a decent price.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    How much would the equivalent 20 day supply of lean ground beef or chicken breast cost you? ;)
  • jcard369
    jcard369 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That’s the thing. I have a hard time eating since I been trying to cut and watch my foods I eat I tend to struggle eating 6-8 meals daily
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    That’s the thing. I have a hard time eating since I been trying to cut and watch my foods I eat I tend to struggle eating 6-8 meals daily

You don't need to eat 6-8 meals daily. Meal timing is irrelevant, it's the total calorie intake that matters.

agree with this. I could never eat that many meals either.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

why do you think you need 6-8 meals a day? you dont just eat your calories throughout the day,if you rather have 3 meals a day do that, or if you rather have less then you can do that and still get in your calories.many people here do OMAD(one meal a day) I do 2 meals usually and 1-2 snacks a day,some days I eat more snacking and others I dont hardly eat any. I manage to get my calories in and have had no issues.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

How much protein are you eating per day?
  • Rose18l
    Rose18l Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    MyProtein and ON is pretty affordable. Also you can save a bit by taking less servings. I only take whey when I am short on my protein goal.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I usually buy them on canadianprotein.com (similar to myprotein.com but for canadians although they sell to US customers and I think it would cost cheaper due to the exchange rate). I usually buy a big bag and it lasts me forever considering I get most of my proteins from food. But protein powder is good to have around when I don't know what protein food to eat.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

Oh and meal timing doesn't matter, sometimes I'll even half of my protein daily intake in just one meal.
  • alryan218
    alryan218 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use bare performance cinnamon roll lately. Love the flavor and it has a high % of protein per grand in each serving.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

This^^

0.8 to 1.2 grams of protein per pound of LEAN BODY MASS is all your body can handle.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 905 Member
    Options

This^^

0.8 to 1.2 grams of protein per pound of LEAN BODY MASS is all your body can handle.

The juries still out on that, nice little read of how
    Eric helmes view on optimum protein intake has changed In the last 5 years and how it might get change again with upcoming studies

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/reflecting-on-five-years-studying-protein/
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »

This^^

The juries still out on that, nice little read of how
    Eric helmes view on optimum protein intake has changed In the last 5 years and how it might get change again with upcoming studies

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/reflecting-on-five-years-studying-protein/

And not to be pedantic, but it's not a matter of "all your body can handle". While the specific recommendations vary, they're talking about what is optimal for stimulating muscle protein synthesis, and that higher levels are not necessarily more beneficial in that regard. Not that they're "all your body can handle".
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    "Despite being inconclusive, two lines of evidence provide an informed estimate of the optimal protein dose for stimulating a maximal response of MPS in older adults. First, previous work has demonstrated that ingesting >36 g of beef protein [56] or 35–40 g of whey protein [55,58] stimulated a pronounced increase in the rate of irreversible amino acid oxidation. These data [55,58] imply the rate of MPS was approaching, or had indeed reached, an upper limit with ingestion of 35–40 g of protein. Second, the maximal effective protein dose at rest is higher in older compared with young adults. A retrospective analysis of previous studies [60] estimated that, when expressed relative to body mass, the dose of protein required to stimulate a maximal response of MPS at rest was ~68% greater in older (0.40 g/kg body mass) vs. young (0.24 g/kg body mass) adults. Moving forward, to refine the optimal protein dose for the maximal stimulation of MPS in middle-aged or older adults, future studies should measure the postprandial response of myofibrillar-MPS to 0, 20–40 and 50–60 g doses of ingested protein.

In addition to age, several other nutritional, physiological and/or methodological factors could impact the optimal dose of protein for the maximal postprandial stimulation of MPS in young and older adults. Protein source has been shown to affect the dose-response relationship in older adults. A greater dose of soy protein (≥40 g) [57] was required to stimulate a comparable postprandial MPS response to whey (≥20 g) protein [58]. As such, a rightwards shift in the dose-response relationship was observed with soy protein compared with whey protein. Intuitively, these findings suggest that protein source alters the optimal protein dose for the maximal stimulation of MPS in older adults." - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4848650/

While it may not matter, there is evidence that over 40g of protein may be the maximally effective dose of protein for MPS for an older adult.

On top of that, there are other studies that say a feeding every 3-5 hours is optimal for MPS. Note this is not 6 meals a day but 4 and in that study they recommended, I believe 20-25g per feeding.

The linked meta does agree that post-exercise feeding is not required. Basically, if you want a tiny advantage, get 4 meals with your protein evenly distributed. It won't matter much but is likely far more beneficial than many crap supplements.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

This^^

I'll be more blunt, this is simply nonsense.

I also take issue w/using LBM as the standard of measurement for determing how much protein one "should" eat, since there is no way to determine exactly what your LBM is unless you get it measured. Otherwise, wharever number you use for LBM is just a guess at best.

Grams per pound or kg of bodyweight is a more practical and realistic standard and 0.8-1.2g/pound BW is not too much for anyone actively exercising, lifting and/or training.

While your body may not be able to make use of all of the amino acids in the protein you eat for the purpose of muscle maintenance or growth, no one really knows how much your body will actually need, given the specific circumstances. So, like $, it's better to have more available than not enough.

What ever protein is left over will be converted into sugar to use as energy if in a deficit or glycogen/fat if in a surplus; just like excess carbs which contain no amino acids and can only be used for energy and other nutritional needs. The digestion of fat which is converted into free fatty acids is a different and more complicated matter.

I know you’ve mentioned your maintenance being on the low side, so I’m curious about your thoughts on using goal weight for people who are overfat and eating in a deficit. I weigh around 160 lbs and am eating around 1500-1700 calories a day while exercising and lifting. I’ve struggled to get my protein up to .8/1 g per lb using 120-130 lbs (goal weight). Trying for an intake based on my current weight seems pretty hight, especially at these calories.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I've been using MyProtein for a while and cannot complain. It's way cheaper than most anything at GNC, especially if you catch a good sale, which they rotate pretty constantly. No frills, direct-to-consumer model. Comes in big bags vs. tubs. Tastes pretty good and mixes ok in just water or if you're making something fancier with milk, juice, frozen fruit, etc.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

This^^

I also take issue w/using LBM as the standard of measurement for determing how much protein one "should" eat, since there is no way to determine exactly what your LBM is unless you get it measured. Otherwise, wharever number you use for LBM is just a guess at best.

Grams per pound or kg of bodyweight is a more practical and realistic standard and 0.8-1.2g/pound BW is not too much for anyone actively exercising, lifting and/or training.

While your body may not be able to make use of all of the amino acids in the protein you eat for the purpose of muscle maintenance or growth, no one really knows how much your body will actually need, given the specific circumstances. So, like $, it's better to have more available than not enough.

What ever protein is left over will be converted into sugar to use as energy if in a deficit or glycogen/fat if in a surplus; just like excess carbs which contain no amino acids and can only be used for energy and other nutritional needs. The digestion of fat which is converted into free fatty acids is a different and more complicated matter.

I know you’ve mentioned your maintenance being on the low side, so I’m curious about your thoughts on using goal weight for people who are overfat and eating in a deficit. I weigh around 160 lbs and am eating around 1500-1700 calories a day while exercising and lifting. I’ve struggled to get my protein up to .8/1 g per lb using 120-130 lbs (goal weight). Trying for an intake based on my current weight seems pretty hight, especially at these calories.

My thinking on this is that, if you are overweight, eating at a calorie deficit should be your primary concern and that macros are secondary and need to be adjusted w/in that limit taking into account your specific nutritional and physical needs.

Using your info as an example, if you set your cal limit at 1600, you can choose to allocate your macros in whatever way that bests meets your needs.

What gets lost in the discussion is that, if you are NOT lifting heavy or actively engaged in exercise or athletic training, there probably is no need for you to eat 0.8-1.2g protein/#BW/day but eating THAT much protein isn't necessarily bad or wasteful either.

What I object to is the apparently knee jerk response of many people on MFP who say that you don't need to eat more than the minimum RDA recommended amount of protein (or any other stated amount) w/o regard to the individual's specific needs/goals.

MFP defaults to macros (20P/50C/30F) that I personally do not follow because they DO NOT take into account the greater protein needs of athletes, weight lifters and/or senior (which are all categories that apply to me).

However, , if you are not in these categories, the MFP default would meet your basic nutritional needs. This would work out to 80gP/200gC/53gF on 1600 cals/day and would only require you to eat about 0.5g protein/#BW/day which would slightly exceed the RDA minimum allowance.

Just recognize that if you are older and or begin to engage in a heavy lifting or rigourous exercise program (as I am and have been doing), you probably will need to increase your protein intake to somewhere around 0 8-1.2g/#BW, which would better meet your needs for strength and muscular development or maintenance. The lower end of this range is fine for most purposes.

Whether you need THAT much protein depends on what kind of exercise, training and/or lifting that you are doing. The less heavy/rigourous the lifting/exercise, the less protein you probably will need. There is no exact way to measure it.

Strength, endurance, weightloss and BF% are proxies at best but IMO more protein is always better than less, subject to the 0.8-1.2 range on the upper end. If you can't manage to eat that much protein, just do the best you can.

As for how to eat THAT much protein on a restricted cal diet, it depends. It's possible but difficult to do it eating real food but I don't think it is practical to do this w/o using protein supplements (at least in part).

I weigh 156 and am on a 1600 cal NET cal daily diet but I actually eat about 2100 cal/day and burn about 600 cal/day lifting and rowing; mainly rowing. This allows me to eat more, which makes it a bit easier to achieve my 0.8-1.2g protein/#BW goal BUT I still use supplements to achieve this.

I have used and stock a variety of supplements, including powder (MyProtein and Cytosport), protein bars and cookies (Pure Protein and MyProtein) and drinks (Vitamin Shoppe).

I use whichever best meets my caloric and protein needs for a specific meal/day but the one I currently use most often is Isotech42 (Vitamin Shoppe), which provides 42g of whey protein isolate (with only.0.5g fat and 4g carbs) in just 190 cals.

It's not cheap ($2-3/bottle depending on when I buy it and the discounts I can get) but it is an almost totally pure protein supplement (88% based on cals) that provides the most protein for the fewest cals consumed. I drink 1-2 bottles of this a day combined w/lots of fruit, veggies and other protein sources.

What anyone else chooses to do will depend on his/her specific nutritional and physical goals/needs, budget and personal views on what kinds of food they think are "acceptable" to eat.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

This^^

My thinking on this is that, if you are overweight, eating at a calorie deficit should be your primary concern and that macros are secondary and need to be adjusted w/in that limit taking into account your specific nutritional and physical needs.

Using your info as an example, if you set your cal limit at 1600, you can choose to allocate your macros in whatever way that bests meets your needs.

What gets lost in the discussion is that, if you are NOT lifting heavy or actively engaged in exercise or athletic training, there probably is no need for you to eat 0.8-1.2g protein/#BW/day but eating THAT much protein isn't necessarily bad or wasteful either.

What I object to is the apparently knee jerk response of many people on MFP who say that you don't need to eat more than the minimum RDA recommended amount of protein (or any other stated amount) w/o regard to the individual's specific needs/goals.

MFP defaults to macros (20P/50C/30F) that I personally do not follow because they DO NOT take into account the greater protein needs of athletes, weight lifters and/or senior (which are all categories that apply to me).

However, , if you are not in these categories, the MFP default would meet your basic nutritional needs. This would work out to 80gP/200gC/53gF on 1600 cals/day and would only require you to eat about 0.5g protein/#BW/day which would slightly exceed the RDA minimum allowance.

Just recognize that if you are older and or begin to engage in a heavy lifting or rigourous exercise program (as I am and have been doing), you probably will need to increase your protein intake to somewhere around 0 8-1.2g/#BW, which would better meet your needs for strength and muscular development or maintenance. The lower end of this range is fine for most purposes.

Whether you need THAT much protein depends on what kind of exercise, training and/or lifting that you are doing. The less heavy/rigourous the lifting/exercise, the less protein you probably will need. There is no exact way to measure it.

Strength, endurance, weightloss and BF% are proxies at best but IMO more protein is always better than less, subject to the 0.8-1.2 range on the upper end. If you can't manage to eat that much protein, just do the best you can.

As for how to eat THAT much protein on a restricted cal diet, it depends. It's possible but difficult to do it eating real food but I don't think it is practical to do this w/o using protein supplements (at least in part).

I weigh 156 and am on a 1600 cal NET cal daily diet but I actually eat about 2100 cal/day and burn about 600 cal/day lifting and rowing; mainly rowing. This allows me to eat more, which makes it a bit easier to achieve my 0.8-1.2g protein/#BW goal BUT I still use supplements to achieve this.

I have used and stock a variety of supplements, including powder (MyProtein and Cytosport), protein bars and cookies (Pure Protein and MyProtein) and drinks (Vitamin Shoppe).

I use whichever best meets my caloric and protein needs for a specific meal/day but the one I currently use most often is Isotech42 (Vitamin Shoppe), which provides 42g of whey protein isolate (with only.0.5g fat and 4g carbs) in just 190 cals.

It's not cheap ($2-3/bottle depending on when I buy it and the discounts I can get) but it is an almost totally pure protein supplement (88% based on cals) that provides the most protein for the fewest cals consumed. I drink 1-2 bottles of this a day combined w/lots of fruit, veggies and other protein sources.

What anyone else chooses to do will depend on his/her specific nutritional and physical goals/needs, budget and personal views on what kinds of food they think are "acceptable" to eat.

Thank you! I partially misunderstood your comment, so my question was a bit off-base. I appreciate the thoughts. I've been losing for a while now, so I'm confident in my ability to hit and maintain a deficit. I definitely didn't pay attention to macros much at the beginning, but it's more or less on auto-pilot now, so I'm focusing on other things, like lifting heavy and along with that, getting sufficient protein. As it happens, I reviewed my last three months of data yesterday and realized that I'm losing about a pound and a half per month faster than planned, which freed up enough calories to fit in more protein shakes and get my numbers up at least around 100-130 or so, which seems like a good start.