When do you exercise - first thing in the morning or after work?

Options

Replies

• Nadspee
    Nadspee Posts: 79 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    In an ideal world I would go at night but I'm just too tired at the end of the day so I go in the morning. The one thing that I don't like about going in the morning is that I used to shower at night but now I have to shower in the am after I get all sweaty. :(
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I do my big workout first thing in the morning (6am) before work. I tend to do a less intense/shorter workout right after work as well, like yoga or 20-30 minute workout video. I don't think I could handle the reverse.
  • deetails26
    deetails26 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    After work, my gym is only open 6-8pm M/W/F and my T/Th classes are at 6. I don't think I'd change it even if I could, I prefer to sit quiet with my coffee in the morning lol
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I have to work out in the AM before work for two reasons: first, I have no idea when I'll get home each night so I can't make any plans and, second, it takes me forever to relax after a workout so I'm up for hours if I do it at night then exhausted the next day.

I find it much easier to wake up, knock out my workout, shower and then tackle my whole day knowing I've already taken care of me!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I like to exercise in the morning. I know I've got it done, I enjoy the way I feel after exercise, and it allows me to spend more time with my husband and dogs after work.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I like to get it done when I am freshest and I also don't have to worry so much about meal timing. Coffee and a light snack and I am out the door. If I have a particularly late night I may push my morning workout to the evening but I always seem to be dragging by then and it's not ideal if I'm not enjoying it.
  • chornak05
    chornak05 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym at 5am every morning. Like many others have said, it's the only time I know I won't make excuses. I have 3 kids who get up around 6:30, so I'm at the gym from 5-6:15 and get home right as they're waking up. After work, we have dinner/family time and then once they go to bed at 7:30/8, I have an hour or so by myself/with my husband before crashing. I have no energy to work out by the time I would have time to work out at night lol
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    After. I prefer my sleep, and the gym isn't open before I go to work on weekends (it's 24 hours during the week). But on off days I'll get it done before 10 AM.
  • karinschoultz
    karinschoultz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have been working out at 5am for years. Too many excuses after work and Im usually beat!
  • mrsloganlife
    mrsloganlife Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It has taken a few months but now I am working out at 6:30 am every morning and have found it works easier! Yes it is still a climb some days to get there, but I am awake after, and I feel better looking at my stats and seeing all the activity I'm done. Plus by the end of the day I am tired and more likely to talk myself out of going to the gym.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I go jogging at lunch and do weight on wednesday night and on the weekend.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Both. I'm at the gym from 4:30 til 6:00 a.m. Whatever I can't get done during that time happens after work.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I do mine after work. I just can't bring myself to get out of bed to workout. Pure torture!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Usually early morning, but I've been taking advantage of my son's soccer practice two nights a week to get some extra trail time on my runs.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Lunchtime is preferred, but I usually have to wait until evening. I can't workout in the morning. I have no energy and my mind is all fuzzy, so the quality suffers even if I do drag my night owl kitten out of bed.
  • Rachel6xxx
    Rachel6xxx Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Evening. I wouldn't have time to go in the morning but even if i did i would still chose to go in the evening. I feel like i need the food i've eaten during the day to give me the fuel for the gym, i feel weaker if i work out in the morning. I make sure i go straight from work though because I know if i go home first then there is less chance of me getting back up and going out to the gym.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I go around 7-8pm. I'm not interested in waking up or sweating so early and if I go right after work the gym is packed. So I wait til after dinner and go later in the evening. Some days I use our small gym at work during my lunch break, specifically on days I know I can't make it to the gym in the evening.
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    First thing if I can, after work my energy is usually gone for the day
  • Whey125
    Whey125 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    When I wake up ...i prefer to work out in the afternoon but my schedule is too unpredictable and I miss workouts.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Varies by season. In the summer I usually ride in the AM to beat the heat 'cuz riding when it's 100+ outside sucks. Evening rides in the Spring and Fall are wonderful, though the Spring can bring some nasty winds, so I get stuck inside on my indoor trainer a lot. Winter is just a crap shoot because it's dark in the AM and dark when I get home from work and it's cold...usually a couple days per week in the weight room and I'll force myself to get on my indoor trainer a couple times per week.

I usually lift on Friday after work and Sunday morning...sometimes Tuesday evening after work, but I usually end up ditching the weight room for a ride.