Programming for 1000 club

Options
Goal: Join 1000 club by End of summer(July/August)

Current status: Experience beginner relatively unconditioned-Recent graduate of C25K

Background: Primarily BW/Kettlebell programming. Did Pavel's Program for about 2 years, and was closing in on "Program minimum"/Simple when a weakness in my hinge patterning emerged complicated by going too heavy following a short period(4-6 weeks) of detraining. PRs from previous attempt B:215 S:350 D:350(2015ish)

Assets: Work Gym(2 days a week/Probably T/Th) Home Kettlebell setup Pairs 16/24/28/32.

Tentative Plan: 4 months of A/B program(Recommendations solicited PLEASE) 2 days a week supplemented with BW and Kettlebell routine(probably Pavel's) Saturday and Sunday. Also planning to run 2-3 days a week Most likely Wednesday, Friday, Sunday

I know it's a relatively simple goal, and basic timeline. 1000 club is really just a bucket list item, and I'm going to do the full 4 months May, June, July, August regardless when I join the club.

So slings and arrows Please. Which beginner AB program makes the most sense in this context.

I know there are inefficiencies, by all means throw stones, but understand that they probably aren't negotiable. Planning to start in the next few weeks. Planning to check PRs for Programming purposes tomorrow. And will start Kettlebell work this weekend.

Diet will probably be targeting maintenance/recomp. Currently 230ish. Goal weight range is 220-235. So there may be a slight cut.

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Umm maybe a simple upper/lower program? Similar to phul But only run the power days.

I'm not too familiar with two day a week programs.

The main issue I see is that a very very large part of getting stronger with barbell movements is frequency. Greasing that groove, learning the cues, becoming ever more efficient with the lift. Which I completely understand you have other fitness goals and don't plan to put them aside for this one.

If you could go it to 3-4 days a week it would be far more beneficial for you, allowing something like starting strength to be a viable option. For myself I'm running a program that has phased focussed on the individual lifts, my current block has me benching 5x a week with varying accessories and forms (i.e. block presses, bench with resistance bands, 3s pauses) along with 4x a week deadlift variations. I broke the 1000lb club acouple months ago and I'll say it's worth every minute of effort. I personally feel as though a mental wall has been broken allowing me to progress for so much more.

So essentially my two cents would be. If you can make room for slightly more frequency spread between the lifts it would be very beneficial to the goal. Good luck though and keep updated of your 1rms and progress!
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Beyond 531 has a template for deadlift and OHP one day and squat and bench on the other.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Beyond 531 has a template for deadlift and OHP one day and squat and bench on the other.

Thanks, I'll take a look
  • stanmann571
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Umm maybe a simple upper/lower program? Similar to phul But only run the power days.

I'm not too familiar with two day a week programs.

The main issue I see is that a very very large part of getting stronger with barbell movements is frequency. Greasing that groove, learning the cues, becoming ever more efficient with the lift. Which I completely understand you have other fitness goals and don't plan to put them aside for this one.

If you could go it to 3-4 days a week it would be far more beneficial for you, allowing something like starting strength to be a viable option. For myself I'm running a program that has phased focussed on the individual lifts, my current block has me benching 5x a week with varying accessories and forms (i.e. block presses, bench with resistance bands, 3s pauses) along with 4x a week deadlift variations. I broke the 1000lb club acouple months ago and I'll say it's worth every minute of effort. I personally feel as though a mental wall has been broken allowing me to progress for so much more.

So essentially my two cents would be. If you can make room for slightly more frequency spread between the lifts it would be very beneficial to the goal. Good luck though and keep updated of your 1rms and progress!

Thanks, but my only options are the work gym(Tuesday/Thursday) and Planet fitness or my home setup.

For reference--my Previous PR numbers were the first and only time I touched a bar that year.

SO, I'm really looking for how to optimize my two days. I'm most worried about my Bench number, as that was the lift I felt was weakest on my last attempt. I could probably work in a round of bench at PF on Saturday Morning, but I don't think Smith Squat/DL is going to give as much benefit as Swings and Goblet/Double front Squats.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    R/fitness may have a good suggestion or something in the wiki-approved programs that tickles your fancy. I don't hate @Jessef593 's suggestion of running just the power days of PHUL or maybe alternating the power/hypertrophy workouts week to week.

As and aside, there's lift tracking site/app called symmetricstrength that's handy for tracking lift increases.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Your PRs are fantastic for one touch of bar that year. Given that, you're naturally around a 915# total. Sounds like you could squat, deadlift and bench once per week and easily hit 1000#. Starting Strength is the best beginner program and it would have you squat twice, bench once, overhead press once, and deadlift once per week- approximately 3 sets of 5 reps as the work sets.

Good luck Stan. I'm fighting for the 1000# club myself but I think I'm older and weaker than you.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    billkansas wrote: »
    Your PRs are fantastic for one touch of bar that year. Given that, you're naturally around a 915# total. Sounds like you could squat, deadlift and bench once per week and easily hit 1000#. Starting Strength is the best beginner program and it would have you squat twice, bench once, overhead press once, and deadlift once per week- approximately 3 sets of 5 reps as the work sets.

Good luck Stan. I'm fighting for the 1000# club myself but I think I'm older and weaker than you.

That's far from where I'm at naturally, I'd been doing Pavel's Kettlebell program(10x10 Swings-24 kilo)/5x TGU@24Kilo and some bodyweight/planche pushup progressions for about 2 years. And I was doing my program with the sissy(53 lb/24 kilo) bell while they were doing feats of strength on the leg sled. So I went over and did 3xwhatever they had just maxed and then loaded 350 on the bar and did squat/DL singles. Did the 215 easily, but when I jumped up to 245 it wouldn't go up. Needless to say, while I missed my target lift on bench, They shut up about the sissy bells.
  • billkansas
    Options
    I can't imagine that kettlebells helped your squat much... guess I need to learn more about them.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    RDL works just fine in the smith machines at PF. Done those many a time. RDL has more carry over to DL that stiff legged ones do. Just another way to work the posterior chain.

Not a fan of flat bench on a smith but incline bench is okay, at least for me. With my shoulder the way it is I like having a fixed plane on incline.

And while the leg press takes a lot of the core out of the equation, you can still use it to add strength in on the legs.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    I can't imagine that kettlebells helped your squat much... guess I need to learn more about them.

As far as "raw strength" there are definitely more efficient ways of gaining strength. As far as useful/functional strength, doing 5x5 of Clean/squat/ohp doubles with 24 kilo bells does lots of pretty impressive stuff. I could and will go back to the bells, but I really want to check off this box before moving forward towards my other goals. I'm not in a hurry, and I'm going to give it 16 weeks/4 months regardless(I really expect to hit 1000 before the 4 month mark) But I know my weak point is really bench form.

I'm going to be 43 this year. and right now I'm about as weak as a kitten due to a two year layoff.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

You'd be correct. The best efficient movement for your squat is your squat.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Perversely enough, you can squat with kettlebells, single or double :)
  • billkansas
    Options
    I'm a tall, skinny guy but have tinkered with weight lifting and fitness my entire life. I just turned 49. I've been working towards 1000# club since fall 2016- still not there. Soon after I started this goal I sprained my shoulder which prevented heavy bench pressing for months (not 100% recovered but am benching without pain now). Just recently tweaked my left buttock muscle and am worried because this pain keeps occurring on heavy squats (and started hurting on heavy deadlifts too). Just sharing.... I thought this goal could be accomplished quickly.... not yet!

My advice: get someone knowledgeable to check your exercise form and don't jump into the heavy weights too quickly. Sometimes what seems like a minor tweak can take months to recover from. "Programming" isn't too hard, but the wisdom to know when to add weight or when to deload... not sure you can learn that from a book. I sure haven't!
  • stanmann571
    Options
    I'm a tall, skinny guy but have tinkered with weight lifting and fitness my entire life. I just turned 49. I've been working towards 1000# club since fall 2016- still not there. Soon after I started this goal I sprained my shoulder which prevented heavy bench pressing for months (not 100% recovered but am benching without pain now). Just recently tweaked my left buttock muscle and am worried because this pain keeps occurring on heavy squats (and started hurting on heavy deadlifts too). Just sharing.... I thought this goal could be accomplished quickly.... not yet!

My advice: get someone knowledgeable to check your exercise form and don't jump into the heavy weights too quickly. Sometimes what seems like a minor tweak can take months to recover from. "Programming" isn't too hard, but the wisdom to know when to add weight or when to deload... not sure you can learn that from a book. I sure haven't!

I've had some really good coaching so I'm not all that worried about form(except for squat) Since I don't usually squat heavy, most of my squatting is ATG, and so that's a habit I'll need to break as I get up in weight on the bar.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    Is there a 500 club? Because that's about on par with where I'm at :'(:D
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Perversely enough, you can squat with kettlebells, single or double :)

You can squat with a q-tip too. It doesn't mean it more efficient than a barbell.

This goes with saying if you enjoy it and like the results. Awesome, enjoy your thing.

Would I recommend it, not if you can use a barbell.
  • billkansas
    Options
    We're all in the 1000 q-tip club (natural, no straps) :D
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

It's the quarter ton club;) sounds cooler haha.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

I want in on this!

ETA: Oooh, I just mathed. 4 more pounds until I can join the (completely fictional) 800 club.
  • Davidsdottir
    edited April 2018
    Options

I want in on this!

ETA: Oooh, I just mathed. 4 more pounds until I can join the (completely fictional) 800 club.

I guess technically I'm in the 685 club then? LOL