Crossfit Newbie

Options
LBxLB
LBxLB Posts: 691 Member
Hey!

I'm just starting crossfit, I finished my on ramps yesterday and will be starting the main classes this week. My question is at 5'9 and 300lb can I expect to drop lbs during my first month of crossfit?

Is it possible to drop weight while gaining muscles or is something I'm just gonna have to wait out?

Thanks!

Replies

• sbedwards1077
    sbedwards1077 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I started crossfit in December. My current stats are 5'4 and 160. I have lost 10 pounds, but I have really concentrated on my overall nutrition along with changing up my exercise routine. It took me a while to lose any weight, but I think it was because I started around the holidays and I know that I wasn't as accurate with my calorie counts as I need to be to lose weight.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    calories in being less than calories out is needed for weight loss. CrossFit will help you create that deficit through additional movement and help you retain the muscle you have because you will be using it. But the key to weight loss is reducing calories so you have a calorie deficit.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You won’t be able to accurately predict your loss unless you’re also tracking your calorie intake unfortunately.
  • Hotlana4
    Hotlana4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started Crossfit in January and haven't looked back. I LOVE IT. I have lost ~17lbs but that is mostly (and as mentioned above) a result of tracking my calories, eating at a deficit, and using a food scale. I have almost entirely cut out Alcohol as well (I've drank 5 times this year, total) as well as eating out. That aside, CF is amazing in that I want to go everyday. I actually had to force myself to take a rest day(s) the last few weeks.

My body composition has changed and I'm slimmer, tighter, have more muscle, sleep better, etc. I dropped 10lbs almost immediately and then stalled for a bit but kept going 4-6 times a week and I'm up to almost 3 months now (and bought a 1 year unlimited membership!). Some days are HARD and others you'll feel like a million dollars when you up a weight, do something that you initially thought was impossible, etc. There was one Friday I kicked *kitten* and went up a Kettlebell weight in class, only to then get my *kitten* whopped by my partner the next workout who was 5 months pregnant and was literally doing things at double the speed as me (she was not actually whopping my *kitten*, but just trying to give you a picture of how you may feel).

Just remember to listen to your body. You're only competing with yourself and thats the beauty! I think starting at your weight and height while incorporating varied strength training like CF and hopefully diet changes (DIET IS KING) you will see some big initial loss but keep working and ploughing along when you inevitably stall, because the end result and rewards will be worth it for your overall health and just general improvement. Remember, its a marathon and not a sprint! I hope you enjoy it and good luck! :)
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from eating at a caloric deficit. Set up your stats in MFP and track your meals/beverages. CrossFit will help with strength and building muscle. Good luck and have fun!!
  • jolley07
    jolley07 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you dedicate yourself to a crossfit program and maintain a healthy lifestyle you most certainly will see great results. IMO