How often do you feel beat up by your workouts?

Options
2»

Replies

• Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I try to swim 5-6 days a week and always feel tired and hungry afterwards but I kind of like that. I also really like being sore after a weights class.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    JaxxieKat wrote: »
    Soreness is normal. Feeling beat up once your body gets used to the stress you're putting on it can be a sign of overdoing it. Are you wearing proper running shoes? Are you cooling down properly, stretching, and foam rolling after a workout or run? I didn't start doing that until I started running, but I've had three injuries that have sidelined my strength training over the past two years due to me not listening to my body and thinking, "no pain, no gain." A pulled ab muscle is no joke.

I'm good. I do pay attention to my gear and treating myself right during training. I have no doubt that what I'm experiencing is nothing related to injury...it's really just the normal fatigue and tiredness that comes with relatively heavy training. Oddly enough, I kind of like it at the same time that I hate it.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I used to ache a lot more after a workout, but not so much anymore. I do a good deal of weight training and HIIT; Some workouts leave me lying on the mat trying to cool down enough to breathe normally, completely drenched in sweat, but I don't really hurt the following days like I used to. It's actually been bothering me lately, so I'm really glad to see some of these responses from people I've secretly considered my inspiration don't have to feel destroyed after a workout and still have reached the level that they have.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Right after my power-leg training days in combination with my current cut, destroys me.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    How about you? How many days out of the week do you spend beat up, sore, or tired due to your exercise schedule?

I don't do a great deal of speedwork, as my focus is distance. As a result I don't feel beaten up after individual sessions, although races do leave me feeling very fatigued afterwards. What can cause me more of a problem is not managing my nutrition effectively. That's not really something to worry about for a half, but for long distances it's easy to get it wrong.

At the end of the season it can all mount up, so performance suffers as I know I'm not getting enough recovery between events.

fwiw given that you're on fairly low cumulative mileage I don't think it's the training that's doing it to you.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Another lifter here. I feel muscle soreness and some achy joints nearly every day. Not painful just low-level annoyance most of the time. I also tend to sleep more on days when the soreness level is higher.

While I agree people need to be safe and overtraining is a real thing, I just don't see it in the gym I go to. Most of the people are not really pushing themselves. Now endurance athletes I think are more prone to overtraining training than us meatheads so it might be different.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Actually, once upon a time, in the deep and distant past, I remember feeling sore often after a good workout. But not beat up.
    I think we tend to forget that as we get older and we need to remember it.
    Beat up means our body needs some repair and recovery. Most of us chronic exercisers need to honor that more than we do.
    Listen to your body.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »
    Another lifter here. I feel muscle soreness and some achy joints nearly every day. Not painful just low-level annoyance most of the time. I also tend to sleep more on days when the soreness level is higher.

While I agree people need to be safe and overtraining is a real thing, I just don't see it in the gym I go to. Most of the people are not really pushing themselves. Now endurance athletes I think are more prone to overtraining training than us meatheads so it might be different.

yeah thats why I invested in my own free weight collection. I always felt like "that guy" red faced and grunting sweating all over the place. At gyms a lot of people are just going thru the motions. I felt out of place.

I'm usually only sore the first 2 weeks, after switching routines. I try to switch up every 4 to 6 weeks. But my old joints are always crunchy achy, especially my shoulders.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Another lifter here. I rarely ever get sore - usually only the first week back after recovery week from a major competition.

As for beat up, it’s a fact of life as I start peaking up towards major competitions. The more I work with my coach (and I have been with him for 3 1/2 years now), the more perfectly we can time it. I can handle a few weeks of feeling beat up and worn down a year to have the best platform performances possible.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »

yeah thats why I invested in my own free weight collection. I always felt like "that guy" red faced and grunting sweating all over the place. At gyms a lot of people are just going thru the motions. I felt out of place.

I'm usually only sore the first 2 weeks, after switching routines. I try to switch up every 4 to 6 weeks. But my old joints are always crunchy achy, especially my shoulders.

People just let me grunt and maybe swear a time or 2. Hell I got complimented by someone when I scared them during rack pulls once. I did have 6 plates on bar so maybe it paid for some forgiveness. I also don’t lift at a health club but a black iron gym so no damn lunk alarm.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Hardly ever, if at all. If you're "beat up" after a workout, you're doing it wrong.