What is a safe starting place when you return to the gym?

Options
Hi, as the title suggests I'm just now returning to the gym after a 1 and half year hiatus. My question is more specifically what is a safe starting weight so I don't tear anything?
Note: my maxes were bench:245 squat:340 and deadlift: 315

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Essentially the empty bar. Maybe as much as 135 (less, if you have bumper plates) on deadlift. Work up from there. Depending on what type of program you're attempting to follow, you'll have to decide what sort of rep range you want to use while working up.
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Start with as heavy as you can go for 10-12 reps for the first couple of weeks so you get used to the movements again, then go ahead with a program and go as heavy as it says
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Essentially the empty bar. Maybe as much as 135 (less, if you have bumper plates) on deadlift. Work up from there. Depending on what type of program you're attempting to follow, you'll have to decide what sort of rep range you want to use while working up.

This^^

Are you following a proven progressive lifting program? It should have information on how to start.
  • Ihateusernametaken
    Ihateusernametaken Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I always did my own thing my workout would go like this
    Bench 1×10 at 50% (warmup)
    1×8 at 65%
    1×6 at 75%
    1×4 at 80%
    1×2 at 90%
    Then light weight flys 3×10
    After that pushup variations into burnout.
    After a while I do switch it up just to shock the muscles
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    start with the empty bar. If you've been off for a year and a half, you could probably take 6 or 8 weeks of slowly building back up, strengthening your tendons etc, until you are full speed. That's what i would do.
  • Ihateusernametaken
    Ihateusernametaken Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    start with the empty bar. If you've been off for a year and a half, you could probably take 6 or 8 weeks of slowly building back up, strengthening your tendons etc, until you are full speed. That's what i would do.

Thank you, my first day back I did too much so I was just wondering