Olive Oil.... The Reason for My Plateau?

Options
I've been at a plateau for the past 2 months. Since January, I've incorporated vegetables with every meal - breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I prefer to sauté my veggies in olive oil. I haven't been measuring out how much olive oil I'm using, as I just pour it in the skillet using one of those oil bottles with the nozzle. Could the reason I've been at a plateau for so long be because my olive oil intake is high?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's possible. If you haven't been accounting for those calories then it's probably best to start and see what happens. Olive oil calories can sure add up!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It could be one of many reasons. Start measuring it and tightening up your logging overall.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I've been at a plateau for the past 2 months. Since January, I've incorporated vegetables with every meal - breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I prefer to sauté my veggies in olive oil. I haven't been measuring out how much olive oil I'm using, as I just pour it in the skillet using one of those oil bottles with the nozzle. Could the reason I've been at a plateau for so long be because my olive oil intake is high?

Olive oil has 120 cals per TBL. Those calories count just like any other calories, so yes, it could be the reason. The only way you'll know is to start measuring and logging how much you use.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,522 Member
    Options
    Oil comes in at around 9kcal per gram. If you use 20 grams of oil then you're using 180kcal on oil. So yes, quite possible. Are you weighing your other food?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,522 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Olive oil has 120 cals per TBL. Those calories count just like any other calories, so yes, it could be the reason. The only way you'll know is to start measuring and logging how much you use.

Yep, and that is before piling on more than to the edge, which is very easily possible with oil
  • brandigyrl81
    brandigyrl81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Oil comes in at around 9kcal per gram. If you use 20 grams of oil then you're using 180kcal on oil. So yes, quite possible. Are you weighing your other food?

Yes, I do weigh my other foods. But I have not been weighing the olive oil. And I use a lot of it per day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If you aren't accounting for those calories then that could absolutely be the problem or part of the problem. Olive oil is around 120 calories per Tbsp...which isn't much oil and a boat load of calories.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    The bad news is that olive oil has 1920kcals per cup.

The good news is "one and done:" you just drink a cup of olive oil and that's all you need for the day!

The bad news is that doing this would make you sick, so I give 50-50 that you would keep it down.

The good news is that olive oil is monosaturated and highly nutritious, so whatever fat you put on will be very healthy fat!

The bad news is that really good olive oil is really expensive.

The good news is that Costco sells it in really large containers, making you feel kike you're getting a really good deal!

The bad news is that these bottles are very big, leading you to eat too much-- as much as a full cup at a time.