Working out during lunch hour worthwhile?

Options
If there is a gym close to your work, do you feel it is worthwhile to get that half hour workout in? Or is it more of a nuisance?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I personally hate it. I don't like the rushed feeling and I hate the experience of changing clothes in a locker room and then having to clean up and get ready to go back to work. But it's obvious from watching my co-workers that lots of them don't mind the experience (or they enjoy it more than working out during other times of the day). What other people think of it is less important than what *you* think of it.
  • darrenbeckworth
    darrenbeckworth Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Take a walk, get some sun, and burn some calories... save anything sweat related until you can shower.
  • peachvine29
    peachvine29 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I just started working out at my work's gym. I tried it once months ago and hated feeling so rushed and I wasn't too familiar with the gym set up so I didn't like it. I decided to try it again since I was only working out 1-2 times a week usually since I never wanted to go after work. Now I have a plan when I get there, get a great workout in 30 minutes, and know what time I need to leave to get dressed and back to work. My lunch break is 45 minutes and I can eat at my desk after. I look forward to my lunch break and feel energized and strong all day after. I don't like coming back to work all sweaty but I think it's worth it!
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Depends on if I have time before or after work. If I don't I'll suck it up and squeeze it in during lunch.

Edit: I should add, it's still not my first choice.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I'd feel too rushed to go get a lifting workout done over lunch and that's all I do at the gym. I used to cycle or walk on my lunch breaks and I enjoyed that but was always a sloppy, sweaty mess when I got back to the office so now I just work through lunch and take off a little early to go ride...but exercise over lunch was a nice way to break up the day. I used to keep wet wipes in my office to clean up a bit.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I like to run/workout starting at 4:30 AM at my front door. The gym is exactly one mile away too. I am done at 6:00 and have time for breakfast & a shower. At lunch I eat and go for a quick 30 min. walk so I can keep the sweat to a minimum. I just can't find enough time to change, workout, shower and change back. That doesn't even count the time to and from the workout.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    For me it's worth it. My husband is out the door too early (6:15am) for me to work out before my work starts at 8 (because someone has to get the kids ready). If I wait until after work, I just won't do it. So I run on my lunch. It is absolutely a pain in the butt to change, run, then change and eat at my desk, but it also keeps me from visiting the numerous fast food establishments around my office.

I only work part-time, though, and it wouldn't be enough time for ALL of my weekly workouts if I worked full-time and only used my lunch hours.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I have to be at work too early for a morning workout and don't like the rushed feeling at lunch since I only have 45 minutes. I do like to take a little walk around our work campus with a coworker every day at noon for some fresh air and sunshine. My real workouts are after work :)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I work from home (I own a small consulting business) so I don't know what I'd do without working out during lunch. I went to the gym for nearly 5 years at lunch but was lucky that for 3 or so years, it was only 5 minutes away (that one close eventually and I had to drive around 10 minutes each way). I'm also fortunate that I could drive home (then) a sweaty mess and take a quick shower at home where it's much more comfortable to do so and put on literally jammies and be back at my desk by 1:30 or so. I work till around 5:30, sometimes 6 to make up for missing around a half hour to get cleaned up.

Just this last year, we bought a Concept 2 rower and an Air Dyne Pro bike and heavy KBs, so I hardly ever leave home now and it's added 10 to 15 minutes back in to working, which is huge for me, not having to drive to the gym any longer.

I detest evening workouts and there's a lot more of the "look at me" types in the gym in the evenings (or at least at my gym) than there is at lunch -- huge benefit to working out at lunch. People want to get in, get out and not socialize. Early AM is also a struggle for me, so if I couldn't workout at lunch I'm not sure what I'd do.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    My old gym is super close to my job but even then I would only utilize it at lunch if I had a full hour or more. Maybe 45 minutes if I was doing light strength training and didn't need to shower. During spring and fall I would often run around the neighborhood for 35 minutes then get in a quick shower at the gym and go back to work and scarf down lunch. I work out at home now though so it's not an option. I'd much rather go for a nice walk on a 30 minute lunch than try to squeeze in gym time.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It is worthwhile and it can be a nuisance. You just have to decide what works best for your lifestyle and what your alternatives are.
  • Daytripperjackie
    Daytripperjackie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like it because it splits up my day. If I don't work out I'm ready for a nap come 1pm. If I do workout (granted I typically drink a preworkout) then I am energized and get more work done in the afternoon.
    I have a bit of flexibility on time though so I can take an hour class and still change clothes and drive to/from without a problem. And honestly, since I work alone, I normally don't even change and do more than brush my hair haha.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    For me, it is worth it because I live right across the street from my work. I get an hour long break to run home, feed my dogs while I eat, change into workout clothes, go for a run with my dogs (if it's nice), come back home, cool off a bit, change back into work clothes and head back.

I have had a problem in the past of binge eating on my lunch break, so it definitely helps to have minimal time to eat on my lunch break before I need to head back to work. I also don't keep food at my desk because I will eat all the things lol
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    erockem wrote: »
    Depends on if I have time before or after work. If I don't I'll suck it up and squeeze it in during lunch.

Edit: I should add, it's still not my first choice.

Same. I like to walk or do yoga in my office or outside, but I prefer not to have to do my main workout at lunchtime. I will squeeze in a run if it's my only option, but I honestly never enjoy it because I feel pressured by the time crunch.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I work out at 3:30 am but if I can, I usually go for a walk during lunch...just icing on the cake
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    I workout on my lunch but only because I have a unique schedule. I am a school CNA (same as a school nurse, but Im not a nurse haha) and Im busy all day and dont have time for a 30 minute lunch, but the kids leave at 3, and I get off at 4, so after all the kids leave, I go to works workout room and usually do p90x3 30 minute workouts, or on Wednesdays the weight room is open and Ill go in there and do legs, then I get ready to go, and leave my workout clothes on and go home and run before making dinner to finish my workout. If I took a lunch earlier, I dont think I would do it at work, but some of my co workers do it.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    If it's half a pilates class, yes, I've done that. Or part of a yoga class. Not more, though.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    for years i did my workouts at lunch, and i was in great shape and the best part was that after work i could relax guilt free because i already got my workout in for the day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    for years i did my workouts at lunch, and i was in great shape and the best part was that after work i could relax guilt free because i already got my workout in for the day.

This was the best part of riding at lunch for me...
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Thehardmakesitworthit Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym near my office for this purpose but have since discovered that I don't like the rush. I can work out for 45 mins, take a quick shower and still make it back to the office in an hour but I find myself skipping sets or lifts all together because the crowd is there.....now that spring is here...I am opting for outside walking/running and saving the gym for my usual late night visit when everyone else is sleeping :)