“Hey *person*, Why do you weigh your food?”

Options
A coworker asked me this question. There was no malice or needling there, she was just curious. Cool right? Except then I tried to answer her. After rambling for a long time, she eventually nodded and was like “cool. It makes sense!” then commented that she’s noticed over the time I’ve been here, she sees a difference in my face (woot!).

Anyway, how do you answer this question? I am looking for a short 1 or 2-liner so that I don’t ramble for 387234826348 minutes like I just did. It was embarrassing!

Replies

• choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    "It is a more accurate count of my calories than using measuring cups or eyeballing it."
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I've never weighed anything in public, so I've never gotten the question. But if I ever was asked, I'd just say, "portion control."

My desk mate was teasing me about my tiny container of nuts yesterday, and that was my answer.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I answer "To hit my macros and adhere to my calorie budget" :P
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Don't think I'd weigh things outside of home. Then again when I don't bring stuff for lunch, I'm buying from the supermarket, and they're doing the weighing for me (listed on the receipt and everything), which I find brilliant.

But if I DID, and someone would ask, I'd just be "I'm keeping a food journal and counting what I eat, and in the last 5 years it's worked great" - period. Right now the only person asking anything about the kitchen scale is my husband, but it's more like "have you weighed that already or can I snag some?"
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    katnadreau wrote: »
    "Because I suck at eyeballing portions"

Probably that^^
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,693 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    To enjoy the most foodz I can while meeting my goals.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I've never weighed anything in public, so I've never gotten the question. But if I ever was asked, I'd just say, "portion control."

My desk mate was teasing me about my tiny container of nuts yesterday, and that was my answer.

My colleagues used to give me *kitten* on the regular because I roll into the office with a small cooler full of food all portioned out in containers...I've been doing that for over 5 years now though, so nobody pays any attention anymore and it's just normal.

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Lunch items are usually pre-weighed at home. When people ask about my diet, I do tell them that weighing things has been crucial because I still eat junk/desserts, just small amounts that I don't guess about.
  • Kohanai
    Kohanai Posts: 172 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Thanks ya'll! My long winded version was basically all of this. Normally, the question is from a snide comment or whatever so I ignore it. This time. It was sincere!

I keep a scale here because I'm still not good at proportions, and have too many blonde moments in the mornings. My planned lunch often becomes my dinner.
  • quinnivere1979
    quinnivere1979 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    To maintain its weight
  • darrenbeckworth
    darrenbeckworth Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't... no need when I barely eat 1700 and maintenance is 2400 and I don't input workouts.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don't... no need when I barely eat 1700 and maintenance is 2400 and I don't input workouts.

:laugh:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It makes it fast and easy to figure out portion sizes if I weigh them.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    because I track everything I eat. The only time I don't weigh my food is when we eat out - but we only eat out maybe once a month. lol
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    "I'm trying to lose weight"
    Short, simple, and to the point.