My main "mistakes" when I'm not monitoring with MFP...

Options
Seems like I "inhale" a candy bar or a bunch of pasta or bread and it doesn't *seem* like I'm eating all that much but, omg, it is easy for me to eat a *ton* of extra calories that way.

What are your "errors" in eating, where you are doing things and not really clear how much you are actually taking in?

Replies

• CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I graze more when I'm cooking dinner when I'm not being strict with my logging. I can easily eat several hundred calories of randomness while I'm cooking.

I'm also terrible at estimating macros, so I don't eat enough protein if I'm not logging.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Eating way more calories than I need. Also I don't keep up with whether or not I eat enough nutritious food compared to crapola.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I also eat too much during dinner prep (or any meal prep for that matter!). Plus, there's just something about knowing that I'm staying on track that HELPS me stay on track. If I'm not keeping track of calories, I just let it go and assume the day is shot, so I just eat what I want. Logging just keeps me honest, and I really don't do well if I don't log. Sometimes I don't do well even when I DO log, lol.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I log everything. But sometimes I don't feel like weighing. My thing is nut butter - a tablespoon creeps up if I'm not careful. I have a trick, though, I figured out that if I use a teaspoon to get it out of the jar, I actually end up with a tablespoon by weight. Not sure whose brilliant idea it was to make the USDA "official" serving of two tablespoons by weight have the volume of two teaspoons.
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is my weakness.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thinking its ok to have a blow out day cause it just one day except that its the 4th blow out day for the week.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    30kgin2017 wrote: »
    Thinking its ok to have a blow out day cause it just one day except that its the 4th blow out day for the week.

Lol!! Been there...
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    If not logging - forgetting I already had a snack earlier in the day and eating another then remembering I just put myself over maintenance... Or keeping a loose mental log of what I ate but forgetting the drink that I had with dinner

When I'm on vacation in a hotel I basically rely on "only meat/fish and vegetables, and fruit instead of cake/ice cream for dessert" and trying to visually estimate portions - but I'm sure my guesses are wildly off a lot of the time, if nothing else because 1) plate sizes being different than at home and 2) never knowing how much oil was used to cook stuff

Also, it's very easy for me to "guess" wrong with nuts and salty snacks... with chocolate you know that 1 piece = 1/5 of a bar so you have at least some idea of how much you're eating, but taking a handful out of a bag of salted nuts? Or just spreading some peanut butter or nutella on your toast with a butter knife? No way of knowing
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Grazing on those chocolate covered almonds I bought, instead of portioning them. Oh wait I do that even when tracking and have to guess >_<

Drinking my calories.

My biggest error is portion control. When I don't log I don't measure, and it shows.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    My biggest error is overestimating or rounding up because of ‘just in case’. It leaves me eating too little and getting super cranky, so I really have to watch my brain when it starts telling me to add an extra 100 bonus calories to a meal. :/

Also drinking calories away. There’s about 100 calories (probably 80 actually but there I go rounding up again) in a Dolce Gusto latte pod, but they’re so good and I’ll have 5 a day if I’m not strict.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    when i dont track i tend to either count it as a *kitten* it i dunno what i ate anyway mise will eat everything day, or severely undereat xD
  • SteamPug
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    when i dont track i tend to either count it as a *kitten* it i dunno what i ate anyway mise will eat everything day, or severely undereat xD
    Oh I have this too. It happens usually when I eat out, if I have to guess at calories I’m thinking that this one meal could have easily 1,000 calories.. so with that and my breakfast.. no more food today! Heh.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    SteamPug wrote: »
    Oh I have this too. It happens usually when I eat out, if I have to guess at calories I’m thinking that this one meal could have easily 1,000 calories.. so with that and my breakfast.. no more food today! Heh.

my brain tends to go " i over tracked to be safe, i can eat a peanutbutter cup...or 5..."
  • SteamPug
    Options
    SteamPug wrote: »

my brain tends to go " i over tracked to be safe, i can eat a peanutbutter cup...or 5..."

There are some things you just have to make exceptions for: peanut butter cups are one of these.
  • temazur
    temazur Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Portion control goes out the window for me when I stop using MFP. When I'm logging I'm way more aware of what I'm eating AND how much. Oh, I'll eat that cookie and log it, but if I'm not logging then one cookie turns into 2+.
  • trish2016
    trish2016 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    temazur wrote: »
    Portion control goes out the window for me when I stop using MFP. When I'm logging I'm way more aware of what I'm eating AND how much. Oh, I'll eat that cookie and log it, but if I'm not logging then one cookie turns into 2+.

Thats the same for me if I don't log I find I starting put more on my plate and of course I will eat it all. I also find I will slip back into old habits like a choc biscuit after dinner or bread with everything I have not been able to lose weight in about 3 weeks now but I do have thyroid issues so I am also thinking I may need to see the doc again.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    A mix of so many things everyone else is saying. I'll mindlessly snack on candy here and there, eat too much when prepping food, or severely undereat because I don't feel hungry and then wake up the next morning craving EVERY FOOD for breakfast from donuts to pizza.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    drinking.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm just totally off the rails. I go over calories or off my eating plan and quit tracking for the day, or week.

No portion control. All day fast food and treats. I try to rely on exercise to undo damage. I eat beyond hunger with no plan to get back on track.

It's like I completely forget I'm a person who had the skills and capabilities to lose and maintain a large weight loss. Then I suck it up and track. I need to see those big red numbers in the 3000s to get me back to my senses.