Intermittent fasting...I am sure this has been discussed prior but...

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    When I was a kid, it didn’t have a fancy name or definition. It was simply called, skipping breakfast. Not sure why everyone makes a big deal out of it.

Lol...yeah...I pretty much ate this way for most of my adult life. I put on 40 Lbs over the course of 8 years eating this way because, while I didn't eat breakfast and didn't have anything until lunch, after that it was a free for all up until the end of dinner...including lots of beer.
  • NGentRD
    NGentRD Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    @KSJR78 and anyone else curious...anything besides water, breaks a fast. A true fast means no digestive enzymatic activity. The whole purpose behind fasting only works if we abide by our biology meaning make our enzymes work when they are supposed to work. Let's say you eat between 12pm and 8pm but have a coffee at 6 am when you wake up, the caffeine, cream or anything besides water causes enzymatic activity and will stop your fast. People can still see results by doing this because they are not digesting much and calories are very low and they arent. People can argue all they want and say they see results. They may see results, but for different reasons other than fasting, such as eating better, actually tracking what they eat, which is good, but its not intermittent fasting.
  • NGentRD
    Options
    And IF is NOT a diet. Its just a habbit of eating. diet reflects on what you eat, not how. I can eat pizza, poptarts and pringles between 8 am and 9 pm, the next day i can do it between 12pm and 8pm and it still be considered fasting but with an awful diet! Actually It doesnt sound that bad...
  • NGentRD
    Options
    one more time...skipping breakfast people. Yeah you may have been doing it before or actually may not have the point is, we have more info on it now, more people can connect and discuss. If everyone has been doing it for so long, then its not a fad. Fads are short lived which some of you claim its not the case. We just have more info on it! There is no magic...nothing fancy, its a way of eating. But books are made and its now "a thing" because most people do it wrong and clearly have questions.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    one more time...skipping breakfast people. Yeah you may have been doing it before or actually may not have the point is, we have more info on it now, more people can connect and discuss. If everyone has been doing it for so long, then its not a fad. Fads are short lived which some of you claim its not the case. We just have more info on it! There is no magic...nothing fancy, its a way of eating. But books are made and its now "a thing" because most people do it wrong and clearly have questions.

Something that's been around forever can be a fad. It happens in fashion all the time. Someone famous wears a long flowing skirt, and all of a sudden for a whole season every woman walking down the street is wearing a long flowing skirt. They've been around forever but now everyone's wearing them, they're a fad. Then a celebrity wears corduroy pants to a premier and for 6months everyone wears corduroys, until they go back in a drawer because the fad wears off.

Same thing happens in the diet/fitness industry. Right now IF and Keto are the hot thing that everyone is high on. A few years from now, there will be a new diet or fitness trend plucked out of obscurity to be what all the books and articles will be about. There will still be folks doing keto and IF, but it won't be the latest "magic pill".

If you spend any time on the forums, you'll see after about a month that every other thread is some variation of "Starting IF <and/or Keto>, anyone getting results?!?". A few years ago it was Paleo and Crossfit. Nothing wrong with any of them, it's just the industry spinning the wheel again.
  • NGentRD
    Options
    @kimny72 Agree. I didnt look at it that way. I just mean that IF is not short lived. Its popularity maybe but not the way of eating. I just don't think its fair to use fad in a negative context when describing IF. But yeah its a fad lol.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I don't DO intermittant fasting but my pattern of eating falls into the category
    I'm not hungry when I wake so I generally don't eat until around 2pm

As soon as I eat I do start getting hungry, pushing myself to eat breakfast wasn't helping me as I would fast run out of calories

Omigosh... There are others like me!