is it possible to make a waist smaller in width

Options

Replies

• Urbancowbarn
    Urbancowbarn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other comments—something is off here—but I wanted share a recent NSV that opened my eyes about my waist size. I generally track three measurement bust, natural waist, and hips. (36-29-36) I was trying to figure out why I felt smaller, but wasn’t seeing a loss in measurements or on the scale, and I was feeling like my waist was non existent. I ended up measuring around my navel and my high hip and realized my love handles, muffin top, whatever you want to call that area had diminished and I didn’t notice because I’ve been hyper focused on my waist size—that area had been giving me the illusion of a smaller looking waist before I lost weight. Lol!! I suspect you’re either going by pant waist size (completely inaccurate!) and if so pick up a soft measuring tape and get an accurate account of your dimensions. To answer your question though — ultimate waist size really is genetics and body shape. Pears and hourglass shapes have tiny waists. Apples and rectangles can get smaller waists with diet and exercise, but won’t look tiny due to the rest of their proportions.
  • altairego21
    altairego21 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    A 28" waist is thick? That's my waist, and I have never thought of myself as having a thick waist before. I may not have a tiny, hour-glass waist, but my abs are flat, so it's all good to me. But maybe it's because I'm taller (5'7") so it doesn't look as "thick" as it might on a shorter person? It's still hard to imagine a 28" waist as being overly "wide." It sounds pretty normal to me. If that's the widest part of your body, what are you hip and shoulder measurements?
    yirara wrote: »
    one thing that i am very insecure about is that my waist is very wide. i lost 10lb and my waist is still wide. i was wondering what can help with this?
    i still want to lose about 8-10 more pounds

Are you sure you're talking about your waist? The waist in normal weight people is normally thinner than hips and rib cage, and shoulders. I cannot even imagine how that is possible. Are you wearing too tight trousers? If so then it's not surprising you have a muffin top. Does you belly stick out a bit? Then do some proper core exercises, for abs and back. That might improve your posture.
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I've been wondering these past few hours as to how a 28" waist is "thick" on a 5ft 3" woman.

In fact, I am still trying to figure out the shape of someone who is normal weight yet says: "I am 28 inches on my waist but it is the widest part of my body!"

So, let's talk turkey @altairego21

Your BMI is 24.
    Which falls within the normal weight/no increased health risks range.

Your waist to height ratio is 44.44%.
    The normal waist to height range for women is... drumroll: 42% to 48%

In other words none of your objective "specs" so far support your self reported perception of doom.
    I do not know how to insert a picture but on this website if you scroll down to Roz that is what I look like
    http://productionfitmodels.com/fit-models-2/
  • altairego21
    Options
    I am thinking there is a measure of dysmorphia at play here. Perhaps augmented by some societal Woo (like that silly paper width body guide)

Op... Would you be willing to let us see what you look like, so that we can understand what your current shape is? That way we can tell you if a) you're perfectly normal and don't need to change or b) if there is room for loss at all

You seem to be of average proportions.
    evileen99 wrote: »
    I'm gonna need a picture to see what someone whose 28 inch waist is wider than their hips looks like.
    I agree with the other comments—something is off here—but I wanted share a recent NSV that opened my eyes about my waist size. I generally track three measurement bust, natural waist, and hips. (36-29-36) I was trying to figure out why I felt smaller, but wasn’t seeing a loss in measurements or on the scale, and I was feeling like my waist was non existent. I ended up measuring around my navel and my high hip and realized my love handles, muffin top, whatever you want to call that area had diminished and I didn’t notice because I’ve been hyper focused on my waist size—that area had been giving me the illusion of a smaller looking waist before I lost weight. Lol!! I suspect you’re either going by pant waist size (completely inaccurate!) and if so pick up a soft measuring tape and get an accurate account of your dimensions. To answer your question though — ultimate waist size really is genetics and body shape. Pears and hourglass shapes have tiny waists. Apples and rectangles can get smaller waists with diet and exercise, but won’t look tiny due to the rest of their proportions.
    I do not know how to insert a picture but on this website if you scroll down to Roz that is what I look like
    http://productionfitmodels.com/fit-models-2/

except with my fat in my midsection
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    you are the same height as me and 10 pounds heavier and your waist is the same size as mine, And my waist is small. I Believe its in your head and you need to ease up on yourself
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'd have to see a picture... it could be genetic.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options

The OP posted a link to her picture above.

OP, I see what you mean.

My first thought was that the reason you might feel your waist is too large is because your hips are a bit on the small side. Also looking at the picture, what I would improve is I would start recomping. There seems to be a little bit of fat which I'd try to replace with muscle. It is a slow process but you will get there eventually. Just strength train and eat at maintanance. Don't worry about it, just be patient.

That said, you look great. Don't get me wrong. I'm only saying what I said above because I'm also at my lower healthy bmi range and also need recomp more than anything else so I would notice such details. But they really are just details. Your body looks good.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

OP, I see what you mean.

My first thought was that the reason you might feel your waist is too large is because your hips are a bit on the small side. Also looking at the picture, what I would improve is I would start recomping. There seems to be a little bit of fat which I'd try to replace with muscle. It is a slow process but you will get there eventually. Just strength train and eat at maintanance. Don't worry about it, just be patient.

That said, you look great. Don't get me wrong. I'm only saying what I said above because I'm also at my lower healthy bmi range and also need recomp more than anything else so I would notice such details. But they really are just details. Your body looks good.

Except that isn't her. It's a CGI model she "feels" she looks like. And the model was 36/28/32, if I remember correctly. Which means the waist is not the widest part of the body. I suspect some body dysmorphia.

Ok, I missed that bit.
    However if OPs body is similar to that all things I said are still valid. If my body looked like that on the picture I would like to reduce my waist too. I don't feel it is body dismorphia.

Except that perception is rarely reality.

And I enter into evidence the 260 lb gentleman in my profile picture.

Did you perceive that he's 260 lbs?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I know in the past you were asking about weight training, have you been lifting while you have lost those 10lbs? If you have been and haven't seen positive changes, you probably want to start building muscle. At this point I would definitely start looking into recomposition, not sure if more weight loss, even with lifting will give you the results you are after.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

OP, I see what you mean.

Except that isn't her. It's a CGI model she "feels" she looks like. And the model was 36/28/32, if I remember correctly. Which means the waist is not the widest part of the body. I suspect some body dysmorphia.

I’m suspecting that the OP is measuring her “waist” at the thickest part of the belly rather than the thinnest. If she also has a smaller bust than the model in the picture, I could see how even at a normal weight the belly could be about the same measurement as hips and bust in a certain body type. That said, I’m not sure there’s really anything you could do about that. Bodies are different, and a body shape like that is largely determined by narrow hips and shoulders, a modest bust, and a wider rib cage. Losing more weight isn’t going to change any of that. Breast augmentation surgery or building up the size of your shoulders and glutes through lifting are really the only things I could think of that would make much of a difference, and even there, you’re never going to have an hourglass shape. I know it’s trite, but sometimes the answer is just learning to love the body you have.

ETA: I don’t love the whole “let’s classify our bodies as fruits” thing, but this is the look I’m imagining: http://www.womens-business-clothes.com/banana-shaped-body.html
  • altairego21
    Options

sardelsa wrote: »
    I know in the past you were asking about weight training, have you been lifting while you have lost those 10lbs? If you have been and haven't seen positive changes, you probably want to start building muscle. At this point I would definitely start looking into recomposition, not sure if more weight loss, even with lifting will give you the results you are after.

Yes i have been weight training.
  • altairego21
    Options

OP, I see what you mean.

I’m suspecting that the OP is measuring her “waist” at the thickest part of the belly rather than the thinnest. If she also has a smaller bust than the model in the picture, I could see how even at a normal weight the belly could be about the same measurement as hips and bust in a certain body type. That said, I’m not sure there’s really anything you could do about that. Bodies are different, and a body shape like that is largely determined by narrow hips and shoulders, a modest bust, and a wider rib cage. Losing more weight isn’t going to change any of that. Breast augmentation surgery or building up the size of your shoulders and glutes through lifting are really the only things I could think of that would make much of a difference, and even there, you’re never going to have an hourglass shape. I know it’s trite, but sometimes the answer is just learning to love the body you have.

ETA: I don’t love the whole “let’s classify our bodies as fruits” thing, but this is what I’m imagining: http://www.womens-business-clothes.com/banana-shaped-body.html

When measuring, I am measuring the smallest part of my waist. i do not think that I have body dysmorphia. I would say that my waist does not curve in like how I would want it too. it is a rather square stomach.