I just ate a Sticky Toffee Pudding

Options
It's not the end of the world, but I feel bloated and gross.

What do you do when you've gorged to make yourself feel better.

I'm thinking a 20 minute walk and a peppermint tea to aid digestion might help. Any other tips?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Just log it and move on. Take a walk and drink tea if you want. Like you said, it isn't the end of the world.

Note how eating that made you feel, and remember that feeling next time.
  • katie1234
    katie1234 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Just log it and move on. Take a walk and drink tea if you want. Like you said, it isn't the end of the world.

Note how eating that made you feel, and remember that feeling next time.

Yup, it's already logged. It puts me above my daily goal, but not above my 'maintenance' calories so it's all good!
  • katie1234
    Options
    You ate to feel better? But did you feel better? Or do you need help to feel better after eating? Why did you eat so much that you feel bloated and gross? Or are you just imagining that because you feel you shouldn't have eaten any of it? Just the idea of needing a "disclaimer", and having to do anything special, after eating... work on that mindset.

I didn't eat to feel better. I had a wrap for lunch and decided to have dessert. But because I've been dieting I think my stomach is a little smaller than usual and that much food was a bit of a shock to the system. I feel too full and gassy.

I'd imagine it's not the last time it'll happen - so I'm just wondering if anyone has tips for helping them move on after a slip-up.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Maybe go for a run later?
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I dislike that stuffed feeling too. As you said, it happens sometimes and will probably continue to happen occasionally. We're not always accurate judges of how much we can handle eating in one sitting. The times when my eyes have been bigger than my stomach, I've found that your original suggestion (a walk and some peppermint tea) helps.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,161 Member
    Options
    Learn from it an move on. For example, maybe instead of eating the whole thing, you can take from this that eating half or a quarter of it would have been better. I don't know what a sticky toffee pudding is, but if it was something that could be kept for another day, spread it out over several days, or share with someone else.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Sticky toffee pudding is one of my favourite desserts! One of the few 'bad' things 100% worth the calories in my opinion!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    katie1234 wrote: »
    You ate to feel better? But did you feel better? Or do you need help to feel better after eating? Why did you eat so much that you feel bloated and gross? Or are you just imagining that because you feel you shouldn't have eaten any of it? Just the idea of needing a "disclaimer", and having to do anything special, after eating... work on that mindset.

I didn't eat to feel better. I had a wrap for lunch and decided to have dessert. But because I've been dieting I think my stomach is a little smaller than usual and that much food was a bit of a shock to the system. I feel too full and gassy.

I'd imagine it's not the last time it'll happen - so I'm just wondering if anyone has tips for helping them move on after a slip-up.
    Your stomach is elastic, and you'll move on just fine. You must decide how much to eat in advance, it's too late after the fact. I gave you something to think about whenever you make an eating decision.
  • katie1234
    Options
    Maybe go for a run later?

A C25K run? Or maybe some time on the elliptical?

Oh cool. Let's start here too,
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

My tip just move on and learn from it - don't think you have to pay a "penance".

It's a good perspective you showed above to realise you may have gone over your weight loss goal but not your maintenance calories.

Put what is really a tiny slip up into proportion.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    It's not the end of the world, but I feel bloated and gross.

What do you do when you've gorged to make yourself feel better.

I'm thinking a 20 minute walk and a peppermint tea to aid digestion might help. Any other tips?

I hope it was delicious -- I do love a good sticky toffee pudding.

If you feel like going for a walk, that's great, but you don't have to use it to "make up" for a calorie overage. Log your calories and know that tomorrow's another day. Maybe plan a serving for another time -- then you can look forward to it and plan your day's calories around it without seeing it as an oops.
  • rhiawiz57
    rhiawiz57 Posts: 906 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    the thing i learned after keeping off 35 lbs for a little while is that you just pick yourself up and eat less calories the next day! don't let a big meal or big treat turn into any kind of major derailment. one or two days above plan doesn't make anyone permanently gain weight - if there is any bloating or weight gain, it's gone in a week or even less. i used to just stay derailed for weeks or even months. now i just go nope i'm going to do my routine and trust that all will be well, and i have the data to prove it....which helps a lot. but of course, eating has an emotional component or very few of us would be here. good luck.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options

Honestly I think it's not so much a matter of shrinking, as it is that the stuffed bloaty feeling is no longer normal. You've gotten used to not being mildly ill after overeating.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I can't relate at all. I had ice cream. Pizza. And a protein shake for dinner lastnight. A lot of it is mental. Plus it's about calories. Not what you eat. So I wouldn't dwell on it. Do you really want to live a life where you don't eat the things you want.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    When I get that stuffed bloated feel, it's usually visible too, I have a beer or a glass of prosecco- a loud belch follows and all is well.

I have heard Tums work too, but, in my mind, not as enjoyable.

Cheers, h.

(Just off a 14 day cruise and the prosecco after dinner worked like a charm B) )
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    So jealous of you. Sticky toffee pudding is one of my favorite things ever. Unfortunately I'm in the US and so it's extremely rare for me to find a restaurant that makes a good one.

Do you feel psychologically bad that you ate it, and those bad feelings are causing you to feel bad about your body, or do you feel physically uncomfortable? If it's psychological, then try not to worry...as you said, we all go over our calories sometimes. If you're following a new way of eating rather than just a short term diet, then there will absolutely be times in your life when you overeat or don't eat "healthy." It's just part of being human. I'd rather use those extra calories on something I really love--like a delicious sticky toffee pudding--so I feel that I've enjoyed them as much as possible. As long as you aren't routinely exceeding your calorie goal, you're still going to lose weight and one dessert won't make a big difference in your progress.

If it's physical, unfortunately I think there's not much to do but give yourself time to digest, and maybe take an antacid if needed. I wouldn't exercise until you've had time for the food to settle because working out on a full stomach makes me feel sick. I also wouldn't get in the habit of doing extra exercise in order to burn off every single extra calorie, since that's not a sustainable routine. I think it's better to aim for consistency in your diet and exercise most of the time, and get back on track the next day if you overeat.