Flax / Chia / Hemp / Wheat Germ - what else?

Options
I try to incorporate these into my daily caloric intake (typically via smoothie/protein shake) but I don't really understand the specific benefits of each, comparatively. Should I continue to mix them up, or focus on one over the other, etc.? -Trying to simplify my life rather than feeling like a mad scientist with all my jars. :)

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I would determine their benefits, if I were you. Try examine.com.

I would also be aware of their calories. Flax and hemp, I know, are high calorie for the serving size.
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Thx, totally aware of the calories, which is why I want to limit their use. While they each have their own benefits, I am sure they overlap in some way, as well. Will check out examine.com.
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I eat them all daily, but not typically together. I sprinkle 1tbs of flaxseed on some fruit with lunch and typically have chia pudding or stir chia into yogurt with dinner. There are several blends, like Holy Crap or Qi’a that combine them all - hemp, chia and flax and are delicious.

Yes they are calorie dense, but also offer great nutritional benefits.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Not sure about wheat germ but the others contain omega-3 (ALA). Hemp seeds have a higher amount of omega-6.
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I add them to smoothies, baked stuff (made brown rice chia seed bread), etc. Healthy fats!