For those who lost fat, do you think diet soda impact the fat loss negatively ?

Options

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    No. In fact, I think it's helped because I get an energy boost from the caffeine which helps my workout performance. Also, it's hydrating so I think I have fewer thirst signals that I confuse for hunger.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    No.
  • andreascjonsson
    andreascjonsson Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I use diet soda as a replacement for Sweets and boredom eating. The diet soda pretty much removes my sweet cravings completely and the extra stimulation from the sweetnes and the feeling of a fuller stomache stops me from boredom eating. Non-sugary juice works almost as good.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I generally drink diet soda every day, as well as plenty of water.
    I don’t find it makes me hungry at all (the opposite actually, it can function as “bridging the gap” till my my next meal). I don’t find that it makes me crave sweet things, either... I find the opposite is true here, too!

Been steadily losing since the beginning of the year, so it’s definitely not hindering my weight loss either. If it works for you, go for it, IMHO!
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    ap1972 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Nope
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    deejay1230 wrote: »
    Hello,

For those who have been on a diet and drinking diet soda regularly, did you notice any difference when you stopped ?

Thank you !!!

How would a zero calorie beverage have any impact on weight management?

I drink one or two Fresca's daily.

It's difficult for the brain to tell the difference between sweeteners and sugar so it triggers the body to behave in similar manner so can cause hunger sensation earlier.

What does the bold actually mean?
    There are no calories to use or store so how exactly is your body behaving in a similar way?
    (Taste doesn't stimulate insulin production for example, hence why diabetic associations recommend them.)

I could see that if people habitually eat or drink sweet tasting things they may have more of a sweet tooth or taste preference but then they would have to eat more calories to have an impact.
    Bearing in mind we are on what is predominately a calorie counting website....

My understanding was that the sweeteners make the brain think it is getting sugar and so it starts dealing with the expected sugar intake, when those calories are not received given the body's reaction hunger is likely to occur sooner than it would do.
    It's not something I care about seeing as I don't like the taste of them nor the bloated feeling carbonated drinks give me so rarely touch them but a quick Google and the first link seems to suggest the same.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/12/23/artificial-sweeteners-confuse-body.aspx

So basically no science behind it at all, just some vague statements that something undefined and unknown is happening based purely on taste which MIGHT trigger hunger for some people.
    Hmmmmm - unconvinced to say the least.

Mercola is a complete quack by the way and if you Google "world war 2 bombers found on the moon" you will get some results back....

That is just the first one I saw and I didn't use it to form opinion, if you prefer here is one from Harvard.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/artificial-sweeteners-sugar-free-but-at-what-cost-201207165030
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Nope
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    deejay1230 wrote: »
    Hello,

For those who have been on a diet and drinking diet soda regularly, did you notice any difference when you stopped ?

Thank you !!!

How would a zero calorie beverage have any impact on weight management?

I drink one or two Fresca's daily.

It's difficult for the brain to tell the difference between sweeteners and sugar so it triggers the body to behave in similar manner so can cause hunger sensation earlier.

What does the bold actually mean?
    There are no calories to use or store so how exactly is your body behaving in a similar way?
    (Taste doesn't stimulate insulin production for example, hence why diabetic associations recommend them.)

I could see that if people habitually eat or drink sweet tasting things they may have more of a sweet tooth or taste preference but then they would have to eat more calories to have an impact.
    Bearing in mind we are on what is predominately a calorie counting website....

My understanding was that the sweeteners make the brain think it is getting sugar and so it starts dealing with the expected sugar intake, when those calories are not received given the body's reaction hunger is likely to occur sooner than it would do.
    It's not something I care about seeing as I don't like the taste of them nor the bloated feeling carbonated drinks give me so rarely touch them but a quick Google and the first link seems to suggest the same.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/12/23/artificial-sweeteners-confuse-body.aspx

So basically no science behind it at all, just some vague statements that something undefined and unknown is happening based purely on taste which MIGHT trigger hunger for some people.
    Hmmmmm - unconvinced to say the least.

Mercola is a complete quack by the way and if you Google "world war 2 bombers found on the moon" you will get some results back....

That is just the first one I saw and I didn't use it to form opinion, if you prefer here is one from Harvard.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/artificial-sweeteners-sugar-free-but-at-what-cost-201207165030

Are you actually reading these articles?
    If you are then you must be reading them very selectively and with 20/20 confirmation bias.

Like the vast majority of people I drink something I enjoy the taste of and it quenches my thirst. But of course that's far too simple.
  • BarryCarriere
    BarryCarriere Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Was just about to put up a post about the same thing!!
    Thanks!!
    I love my diet pop and am happy to know it is not going to affect my weight loss :)
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    How have I
    Was just about to put up a post about the same thing!!
    Thanks!!
    I love my diet pop and am happy to know it is not going to affect my weight loss :)

How have I suggested that you do anything different!!!