Group classes are making SUCH a difference for me!

Options
toxikon
toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
edited April 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I just wanted to gush about how happy I am with my new gym.

For some background: I'm a total couch potato, I've tried going to the gym a million times and trying tons of different programs but nothing has stuck. The only activities I consistently enjoy are walking, yoga and occasionally running.

So recently I joined a womens-only, upscale gym. Previously I'd been going to Fit4Less (a budget gym with no showers). This new place is freaking gorgeous. Beautiful clean private bathrooms and showers, nice change rooms, cardio/strength rooms and best of all... a series of different group classes.

I've been slowly working my way through all the classes they offer and I'm really enjoying them. These classes have been totally busting my *kitten* and really pushing me further than I've ever pushed myself at the gym.

One in particular (called "Power") is a group weight-lifting class. We each have a barbell and the instructor takes us through varying reps of squats, lunges, deadlifts, cleans, presses... all the good stuff. I was ready to collapse at the end.

So this has been a total shift for me. I keep excitedly checking the schedule and figuring out which classes I want to go to each week. I've been averaging 3 or 4 each week and getting a killer workout each time.

So if anyone else struggles with working out alone... if you can, try a group class! I know it's not for everyone, but it's made such an amazing difference for me. :) I'm so happy!

Replies

• fitjp88
    fitjp88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree! Even if you are bored with working out I feel like my group class has made me excited about working out again. I have been doing burn boot camp and they are really great about providing modifications so you are doing moves that feel at your level!
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Glad you found a gym that works for you. I like going to classes as it helps me stay motivated and keep going.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I love classes! Of course, I'm well-accustomed to embarrassing myself, so starting something and being the new kid in the room doesn't bother me much. And usually after screwing up and sticking it out, people are generally kind and want to know if I enjoyed it. Lucky you to have so many choices AND a gorgeous gym!
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I also do better and enjoy classes for working out!
  • HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    So happy you found a place that you like! When you find the right place that have good classes and good people, you actually look forward to going. I am a class person, I take usually 2 a day. I can workout on my own, but I love the camaraderie that I get from the other people...and if it's a good playlist. I'm sold! Have fun and explore!
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a gym membership in several years (financial reasons, primarily) but I also loved group classes. I took a lot of bodypump, trx, Kettleworx, and Pilates. The pump class was helpful for learning proper form for the lifts (assuming you have a competent instructor, anyway) and the social aspect was fun, especially since I did the classes with my sister.

I also learned that I'm a competitive bish. Not wanting to be outdone by the other class members definitely forced me to push myself more than I would otherwise.

I'm really glad you found something that works for you and that keeps you excited about fitness!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! All the other women in the classes have been so friendly and kind too, that definitely helps! I'm happy to see that a lot of you enjoy group classes too. :)
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I was initially terrified of the idea of classes; too many mental scars from school sports as an unfit teen! But a friend dragged me along to her favourite class and now I’ve caught the bug too; I’m currently doing a dance class, BodyPump, and various different yoga classes as my schedule changes.

For anyone contemplating classes, I’ve got to say that one thing that’s made a big difference for me has been having a basic level of fitness before I started, just from the walking and swimming I was doing. I still had to take the odd mini-break at first because the cardio was more intense than I was used to, but it felt like I was challenging myself rather than that I was doing something I had no business trying!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Classes can be really fun and motivating, depends the instructor and group. It's much harder to just quit in a room full of people! I used to really enjoy kickboxing, step, and a class that combined step/cardio Latin dance/ and dumbbells. When they changed the instructor for kick, I quit going. We don't have a big gym here in my town, so I just do my videos and use the weight room at work.