Young kid at the gym

Options
There is this large young kid who trains at my gym..

Now its great that he trains and is trying to shed the weight, however his technique is terrible, he jumps from bicep curl to leg press, to the cross trainer, back to bicep curls, to a minute on the bike, onto bench press etc...he is all over the place, i seen him do 45 reps on the barbel bench press yesterday & over 100 leg presses in one set..!!

I want to talk to him and help him, but really the instructors at the gym should help him, but they are too busy posing and on their phones..

To top it off when I finished up in the gym and was driving home this kid was walking away from the gym eating an ice cream he had bought in the canteen!!

Most people don't like being told how they should work out but should I help him? He is totally wasting his time at the moment...

Most other gym guys just watch in amazement!

Replies

• Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would ask him if he'd like help. If he does..go for it. If he tells you no...let him crash and burn.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with ice cream after a workout? Are you qualified and experienced enough to help?
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    There is this large young kid who trains at my gym..

Now its great that he trains and is trying to shed the weight, however his technique is terrible, he jumps from bicep curl to leg press, to the cross trainer, back to bicep curls, to a minute on the bike, onto bench press etc...he is all over the place, i seen him do 45 reps on the barbel bench press yesterday & over 100 leg presses in one set..!!

I want to talk to him and help him, but really the instructors at the gym should help him, but they are too busy posing and on their phones..

To top it off when I finished up in the gym and was driving home this kid was walking away from the gym eating an ice cream he had bought in the canteen!!

Most people don't like being told how they should work out but should I help him? He is totally wasting his time at the moment...

Most other gym guys just watch in amazement!

Not sure how old you mean by "kid". Are one of his parents with him?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with ice cream after a workout? Are you qualified and experienced enough to help?
    This. Based on the ice cream comment, I'm guessing, no.
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    ask him if he has ever worked with a trainer before. if he says no say great I would like to try my hand and see how I would do as a personal trainer, would you be interested being my first , it wouldn't cost you anything :happy:
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Leave him.

Lions do not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I never offer advice and when asked I preface it with "I'm NOT an expert but I know what worked for me"

If you think he may hurt himself (since he is a kid) maybe ask a trainer at the gym to talk to him. There has to be one that's not posing or attached to their I- umbilical
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    If you believe it is the duty of the staff to coach him on how to properly use equipment and exercise, then speak to a manager. Personally, and I know this sounds cruel, I wouldn't both stressing over it.
  • jaggerhawks
    jaggerhawks Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Worry about yourself at the gym. If you notice what people are or aren't doing in the gym, you're doing it wrong.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Mmmm....ice cream! My son and I went on a 10 mile trail ride this weekend and then went to Dairy Queen. I didn't know this wasn't allowed *sarcasm*
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options

I know when I re-started, I was really greatful for the people who corrected my form. I would suggest striking up a conversation, and then say something suggesting you would be willing to give him some pointers. It would open up the conversation at least and if he is not interested in learning more, so be it. Of course, if you are not close to and reaching your goals, it may be better to suggest he talk to a trainer or point one in his direction if the gym offers them.

As for Ice Cream.. Guess it all depends on where you are in reaching your goals and how it effects your body. Personally, at this time, since I am so far away from my goal, and I have noticed that when I eat too high an amount of carbs I put on weight, and sugar causes me to crave (and eat more), Ice cream is off my list at the moment. :-( More power to you if you can reach your goal and eat it... Someday, I will be able to do it again. There are times you need to sacrific to reach your goals.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    A couple of thoughts ....

1). If he is a kid - implying that he's under 18 - I'd watch yourself. As you don't work for the gym, you could actually get yourself in some serious trouble. As a minor, it's his parents and/or the gym's (depending on their policies) responsibility to be monitoring him.

2). If you have time to watch him bust out 100 reps on anything...what the heck are you doing with your gym time? Focus on yourself.

3). Are the random sets/reps/weights helping him? Maybe, maybe not.... But are they hurting him? Also, maybe, maybe not. I grant you from what you're saying it sounds like he doesn't have a clue...but that doesn't mean YOU are qualified to correct him.

4). Again assuming that he's a kid, aka under 18, shouldn't we all be grateful that he has gotten up and going to the gym AT ALL instead of sitting on his butt all day playing video games? Look at any program designated towards kids, perhaps NFL Play 60. The whole point of the program is getting kids up and moving/playing for 60 minutes a day. It doesn't matter if they're jumping rope, playing soccer, or what...as long as they're up an moving!

5). Did I mention pay attention to your own workout? Good gosh
  • Bridgysmalls
    Options
    Worry about yourself at the gym. If you notice what people are or aren't doing in the gym, you're doing it wrong.

Utter nonsense mate...
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Bring your concerns to the gym manager or lead trainer, especially if he's a minor. Other than that, I'd just focus on your own technique.

As a side note, if you are at a gym where the trainers are mirin' and on their phones instead of watching the floor and helping people you may want to look for another gym.
  • Bridgysmalls
    Options
    A couple of thoughts ....

1). If he is a kid - implying that he's under 18 - I'd watch yourself. As you don't work for the gym, you could actually get yourself in some serious trouble. As a minor, it's his parents and/or the gym's (depending on their policies) responsibility to be monitoring him.

I would guess he is a fat 16 year old

2). If you have time to watch him bust out 100 reps on anything...what the heck are you doing with your gym time? Focus on yourself.

I was training on the bench next to the digital leg press machine, which showed 100 repls done. I was not sat watching and counting his reps

3). Are the random sets/reps/weights helping him? Maybe, maybe not.... But are they hurting him? Also, maybe, maybe not. I grant you from what you're saying it sounds like he doesn't have a clue...but that doesn't mean YOU are qualified to correct him.

Do you know my skill set level? errr, no :)

4). Again assuming that he's a kid, aka under 18, shouldn't we all be grateful that he has gotten up and going to the gym AT ALL instead of sitting on his butt all day playing video games? Look at any program designated towards kids, perhaps NFL Play 60. The whole point of the program is getting kids up and moving/playing for 60 minutes a day. It doesn't matter if they're jumping rope, playing soccer, or what...as long as they're up an moving!

exactly, as i noted in my previous starting message.

5). Did I mention pay attention to your own workout? Good gosh

I do, and thanks for you invalid input. rather than commenting on my question you feel it appropriate to tell me off...haha, very amusing.

Gheez, i dont want loads of questions but here goes...see above
  • Bridgysmalls
    Options

I know when I re-started, I was really greatful for the people who corrected my form. I would suggest striking up a conversation, and then say something suggesting you would be willing to give him some pointers. It would open up the conversation at least and if he is not interested in learning more, so be it. Of course, if you are not close to and reaching your goals, it may be better to suggest he talk to a trainer or point one in his direction if the gym offers them.

As for Ice Cream.. Guess it all depends on where you are in reaching your goals and how it effects your body. Personally, at this time, since I am so far away from my goal, and I have noticed that when I eat too high an amount of carbs I put on weight, and sugar causes me to crave (and eat more), Ice cream is off my list at the moment. :-( More power to you if you can reach your goal and eat it... Someday, I will be able to do it again. There are times you need to sacrific to reach your goals.

Yes, just what I was thinking...I may give him my copy of 'Arnolds encylopedia of modern bodybuilding' it helped me on the right track all those years ago.
  • jaggerhawks
    jaggerhawks Posts: 187 Member
    Options

Utter nonsense mate...

If you're lifting hard, I assure you, you won't have time to be counting that some kid is doing 100 reps. My bet is that you're in no better shape than the poor kid you're trying to help.

When you actually focus on your own workout, you will look like this
    <<-

Which you don't. Nuff' said.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with ice cream. He could hurt himself though, so if he's unsupervised, make the management aware someone needs to talk to him.
  • Bridgysmalls
    Options

Seriously, what are you talking about. A fat kid leaves the gym after a piss poor workout and then eats ice cream and you see this as OK?

Yes, more than experienced, but thanks for checking..
  • oOxXxOo
    oOxXxOo Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I would let him be. Everyone has their own ideas of what they should and shouldnt be doing. He will learn like everyone else, through trial and error and a bit of research when things are not working out for him.