What is your craziest weather event memory?

Options
13»

Replies

• klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    I moved to FL in July of 2004 - my research said that town I was moving to had not had a hurricane strike in 124 years. That year in September we had Frances followed by Jean two weeks later. 7 days with no power the first one, 5 days the second. I thought for sure we would have snow that winter. Just because I had moved there.

One day a strong straight line wind blew my daughter's trampoline out of the back yard. It took out part of a small tree, missed the fence, horse trailer and barn and was in pieces up against the pasture fence that is about 1/8 of a mile from where it started. I was picking up those springs for a while out in the pasture. I bet my horses were a bit freaked out when that went tumbling by.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Grandkids live north of Galveston. They had real snow for the first time in their lives this winter. They were 30 minutes late for school because
    Mom stopped every time they saw a little pocket of snow on the side of the road and let them get out and play--in their shorts.
  • The_Canadian_Apex
    The_Canadian_Apex Posts: 572 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    While camping during a thunderstorm, my parents had a tree fall on their tent trailer just moments after they went outside to check out the storm.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    I was little (probably about 8 or 9). My mom and I went shopping and she saw a storm coming and got us into the car. But the storm was too rough and we just had to sit in the car and watch as branches fell onto the car. My sister was home alone (and these were the days before cellphones) so the moment my mom could see to drive we raved home to check on my sister. She'd been happily collecting hailstones the size of her head and putting them in the freezer to show us.

It turns out we caught the edge of a tornado that planted caravans in people's living rooms and wrapped cars around trees
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    Oh, and one time we had about a half an hour of actual snowflakes falling from the sky. They melted as soon as they hit the ground, but it was so crazy!!
  • go_cubs
    go_cubs Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    When I was in 5th grade we had a blizzard that had us without power for 3 weeks good thing we had no school either
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Some of these stories are incredible!

@caco_ethes: Wow! those pics are insane! What area was that in?

I'm dating myself, but the 1974 tornado outbreak across the whole Midwest stands out in my mind. I live in Cincinnati, OH. I was 7 years old. It started hailing like crazy. We were outside looking at the hail when my sister yelled "tornado!". It was at the top of our street then hooked to the right. We ran to the basement. It seemed like sirens were going off the whole rest of the night. I was terrified. My aunt's house was destroyed a few miles away. The town looked like a war zone. Xenia, OH, maybe 50 miles to the north of us, was flattened by an F-5 tornado. I still get creeped out by bad weather to this day!

On a lighter note, I remember the blizzard of 77-78 where our school was closed down for about two weeks. That was fun!
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Another one that stands out is one of our October snow storms while I was either in the 6th or 7th grade. It snowed 18-24" overnight. I was listening to the radio and the weather report came on. We were under severe winter weather warning. No unnecessary travel advised. Stay in your homes and don't venture out unless it's an emergency. I thought for sure they were going to close school, as this was a heavy wet snow. The next morning I woke up and listened to the radio again for the report of is schools were closed. Nope, school would be in session today, regular starting time. I trudged through the knee deep snow to the bus stop down the road. While on the bus, the bus slid off the road and got high centered in the ditch. We all had to sit there and wait an hour while another bus came to get us and take us to school. We didn't get to school until 10:30 am that morning.

Now-a-days it seems like these storms shut the whole town down and schools do get closed or have a late start. There was another one about 5 years back that dumped 18 inches of heavy wet snow. The mall closed at 12 that day, but the store I was working at was required to stay open. We were still making money selling chain saws, chains, chain saw lube, pole saws, snow throwers etc. left and right. We sold out of every chain saw we had in stock as this storm was breaking tree limbs off all over town. My weather memories all seem so tame compared to some on here though! I did have a tiny little tornado/funnel hovering over my house last spring. I sat at my window snapping pics and posting them to Facebook, lol. It never touched and was gone so fast tornado sirens never fired up either. We do get wind storms sometimes that send debris flying through the air and can cause as much damage as an EF1- EF2 though.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    @rdevol wrote: »
    Some of these stories are incredible!

@caco_ethes: Wow! those pics are insane! What area was that in?

I'm dating myself, but the 1974 tornado outbreak across the whole Midwest stands out in my mind. I live in Cincinnati, OH. I was 7 years old. It started hailing like crazy. We were outside looking at the hail when my sister yelled "tornado!". It was at the top of our street then hooked to the right. We ran to the basement. It seemed like sirens were going off the whole rest of the night. I was terrified. My aunt's house was destroyed a few miles away. The town looked like a war zone. Xenia, OH, maybe 50 miles to the north of us, was flattened by an F-5 tornado. I still get creeped out by bad weather to this day!

On a lighter note, I remember the blizzard of 77-78 where our school was closed down for about two weeks. That was fun!

This happened in the upper Midwest when the Red River flooded. Which it does a lot because the damn thing flows north like an idiot.

I thought of another weather event though because of your post. In 1985 my older siblings missed a week of school because of a cold front that brought windchills of -85F (-65C). A bunch of people died of exposure in minutes.
  • quettabird
    quettabird Posts: 59 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    i was 6 - they had let us out of school early (although they didn't say why...) as i was walking home the entire sky turned black and eerily silent... i remember thinking well, if this is it, it sucked that i had to wake up and go to school today. Mount St. Helens 1980
    i will always remember that one even after numerous crazy events while serving ad for 24 years.
  • gingerdonalds
    gingerdonalds Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I’m from Missouri and the crazy weather is just a part of the landscape. It’s not uncommon to see someone at the grocery store wearing a winter coat with flip flops. However, I loath ice storms and golf ball sized hail.
    Thunder snow is very cool! Tornadoes are only nerve wracking when a perfectly sunny sky goes green or black and then the animals stop making any noise. We’ve had damage, but at least we weren’t in the direct path.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Oklahoma. Our first big earthquake. Just a few years ago. Standing in the kitchen. Fell to my knees. No noise. Immediate thought- memories of OKC bombing, but no noise. Where's the noise? Panic. Ran to the back door. No smoke anywhere. Ran to the front door. No smoke anywhere.
    Ran around the yard. No smoke. Just didn't know what to think.
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    Oklahoma. Our first big earthquake. Just a few years ago. Standing in the kitchen. Fell to my knees. No noise. Immediate thought- memories of OKC bombing, but no noise. Where's the noise? Panic. Ran to the back door. No smoke anywhere. Ran to the front door. No smoke anywhere.
    Ran around the yard. No smoke. Just didn't know what to think.

Did you feel the earthquake this morning??? Also, the sleet and snow. In April. Mother Nature is drunk right now.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    1994 Northridge, California earthquake. 6.7 strength. I was visiting relatives in Northridge and asleep when it happened at 4:30 AM. Couldn't find my glasses in the dark, everything coming down from the house walls and cabinets, family huddling and praying. Scariest time of my life ever. And then when it was over, my relatives laughed and said "It wasn't the Big One." My flight left later that day and I was never more relieved to be leaving any place ever.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    We don’t get dramatic weather here so my most crazy weather memory was in April of 97. Exactly 21 years to the day, in fact.

First it snowed. A blizzard every few weeks all winter. Just shy of 120” total.

2v454d0l2icd.jpeg

Then it melted.

811v5tdbts98.jpeg

sv1y03dosp66.jpeg

Then fires broke out and ironically couldn’t be put out though surrounded by water.

e41jqlxjjl2y.jpeg

f8dcke4qwe7r.jpeg

And the most important part.. like a week of school missed (but without power)

Grand Forks?
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Minor stuff compared to you guys.. an ice storm in 79 that dropped about a foot of ice. 1986, 98 degrees one day then a foot of snow the next, Lightning struck a tree as I was driving by it. It looked like I was in the middle of an explosion.. minor earthquake that lasted about 2 seconds.. I've never been in a tornado but plenty of them have struck within a few streets of me. .. interesting stories.