Having Trouble Meeting 1200 Calorie Limit

Options
I replaced all of my foods with whole foods, and now I feel like I have to force myself to eat just to reach 1200 calories, while still maintaining my macros! Whole foods are too darn healthy dang it! >:^0 Does anybody have any methods they use to reach their limits without exceeding 40g of fat daily??

Replies

• hippiesaur
    hippiesaur Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    She eats 40 grams of fat because that's what MFP suggests if you are on 1200 cals. I set my macros to 50% C/25% F/25% P and it says I should eat only 33g fat. I always it more though, lol.
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    If you want a whole food with a lot of calories, low in fat, give lentils a shot.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    sidcorsini wrote: »
    Men need a bit more, but I'm reading that 1400-1500 calories per day, along with exercise is not a bad range for a 6'2" man. Any thoughts?

Varying factors affect how much is the right calorie goal for everyone.. in your case at your height how much you currently weigh, need to lose, your age and activity level (NOT including exercise), and exercise.

6'2" male has a much higher BMR than this, so 1400-1500 is very aggressive.
  • rj0150684
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Men need a bit more, but I'm reading that 1400-1500 calories per day, along with exercise is not a bad range for a 6'2" man. Any thoughts?

Varying factors affect how much is the right calorie goal for everyone.. in your case at your height how much you currently weigh, need to lose, your age and activity level (NOT including exercise), and exercise.

Yeah, I’m 6’2 and eating about 2050/day. With the workouts, it’s doing about 2 lbs/week
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

Irrelevant to the OP, but you've been reading nonsense. Bare minimum for a sedentary 6'2" male would be 1500. Maintenance would be at least about 2100 calories if he's at normal weight, and a pretty aggressive 1 lb/wk deficit would be around 1600. That's not even factoring calories for exercise.

OP, here's a post with a list of calorie dense foods. Try to incorporate some of them into your routine, you should be hitting at least 1200/day.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    rj0150684 wrote: »

Yeah, I’m 6’2 and eating about 2050/day. With the workouts, it’s doing about 2 lbs/week

Men, in general, should eat no less than 1500 Net calories, if you are quite large, that number may be even higher. for women the general rule of thumb is 1200 Net a a minimum
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

I am assuming that you have a lot of weight to lose needing a 2 pound per week rate of loss.
  • rj0150684
    Options
    About 30-40lbs, so yeah. Enough. Still below 1% bodyweight/week (I’m 215 now)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Hanatastic wrote: »
    I replaced all of my foods with whole foods, and now I feel like I have to force myself to eat just to reach 1200 calories, while still maintaining my macros! Whole foods are too darn healthy dang it! >:^0 Does anybody have any methods they use to reach their limits without exceeding 40g of fat daily??

I got fat eating mostly whole foods (and lost the weight, NOT eating below 1200, also doing so), so it's not that hard to eat more than 1200 with whole foods, or mostly whole foods. I wouldn't worry about the fat limit, there's nothing magical about MFP's default macros and it's fine to adjust yours if it would work better for you (I tend to eat more fat, fewer carbs than the default, just because that's how I prefer to eat). When adjusting I would keep in mind that the default 1200 macros are already kind of low in protein (lower than I'd recommend for most).

Are you doing something beyond focusing on whole foods? Or is your definition really restrictive or this, perhaps, such a big change that you are having trouble knowing what to eat?

Give us a sense of what you are eating and what you are thinking you need to avoid.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    About 30-40lbs, so yeah. Enough. Still below 1% bodyweight/week (I’m 215 now)

I won't derail this thread any longer. Sorry OP

You can probably do 2 pounds very short term, it will evidently slow down any ways based on your current weight. But these are basic guidelines

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Worry about hitting your calories. Going over your macros, especially fat and protein, is fine. Also make sure you’re logging everything as accurately as possible. A lot of times when people claim they can’t meet 1200 calories they’re eating more than they think.

I would personally recommend hitting your protein goals. Once you hit your minimums for fats, then carbs can come into play. Just my humble opinion. Also, why not shoot for a 80/20 split? 80% whole foods, 20% what you want. Helps keep me sane!
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I, for one, would like to know what your typical day looks like. I'm struggling to find things to fill be up at 1400 calories.