HELP! I’m Injured but need to move!

Options
Hey guys,

So i’m super serious about getting my weight down. I’m 5’8” but I weigh 372 lbs (down 10 lbs! Yay!) and i have a tear in my knee. I sprained my ankle on the same occasion. To make matters worse, I was under a lot of pressure to be back on my feet ASAP and as a result experience pain in both of my ankles and both my knees (from compensating). I am losing weight from changing my eating habits but because of my injuries, my lifestyle is very sedentary right now and I know I need to move a lot more. Im wondering if anyone can share some exercises or have resources as to exercising without having to be on my feet sooooo much ( I have a bad limp and bearing my weight for long periods hurts). Any help from this awesome community would be GREATLY appreciated!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you don't need to move to lose weight, you just need a calorie deficit.

i would see a physio for some advice on how to best manage your injuries and concentrate on your food intake for now.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Google chair based exercises for now and also look at some non weight bearing leg exercises too. Maybe one of those foot cycle things might be good too while you can't get up and about
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Also in the camp of chair exercises. Do go and see a physio and keep eating at that deficit as TavistockToad has suggested (because that's the main factor in weight loss), but investing in some dumbbells (nothing major, 2kg ones will be just fine) to do some chair exercises may well help you get more active without putting pressure on your knee and ankle until they have healed. Once they have you will probably be a little lighter and you can start walking again.

Also, a physio will be able to give you exercises based on your personal ability and limitations.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    You might also try water exercises. See if your Y has any exercise classes. You might be able to do some pool running (though that might put more stress on the knee). I'd check with a PT first to see if you can exercise at all right now.
  • yesevedo
    yesevedo Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yes, actually my PT says im super good to do water stuff. I just cant really afford the Y right now.
  • yesevedo
    yesevedo Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks y’all!

I looked up some chair exercises this morning and i think i’ll try them tomorrow!

Gracias!!!
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Is there a public pool around? Or somewhere you can swim that's inexpensive? Agreed on the chair exercises. I think they even have chair yoga. https://www.doyouyoga.com/6-benefits-of-chair-yoga-8-poses-to-get-you-started/

You could even get some weights and do upper body weight exercise or get some bands. Perfect for putting around a doorknob, etc. and moving.

There are lots of options! Just depends on your mobility.