Triceps pull downs - pain in the neck?

Options
Hi all, resumed doing Triceps pull downs (Rope) after a couple of weeks of not doing it. Struggled on the last set... couple of hours later- Getting a really sharp pain between my neck & left shoulder. Think I pulled/tweaked something

Replies

• tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Has this ever happened to anyone else
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,563 Member
    Options
    That tends to happen to me when I do OHP that's too heavy... I put out my neck somehow. Can take upwards of a week to get better, and sometimes massage /chiro helps.

I tend to avoid maxing out reps for that exercise for that reason.

You likely compromised form to push out the last reps and it caused you to get misaligned.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Umm how heavy were you going?

We're you upright with your elbows tight against your sides or kind of bent over with your elbows angled out infront of you a bit and almost doing a pressing motion?

Honestly if you're feeling pain in your clavicle. Meaning you either involved your pectoralis minor or trapeziods indicating you were going far too heavy. Tricep extensions are just that. Extensions of your lower arm done by isolating your triceps.

My suggestion from your description is lighten the load and practice better form.
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Hi. Thanks for your input.
    Yes, I was struggling on that last set - wanted to make sure (mentally) I was where I was at 2 weeks ago/not falling behind.
    So pretty sure -no, certain- I compromised form just to finish off.

Gonna take a naproxen anti inflammatory after work & rub some deep heat
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was struggling on that last set - wanted to make sure (mentally) I was where I was at 2 weeks ago/not falling behind.

I hope for your sake it's only a minor setback.

I tried that a few years back and it's been almost 2 years before I'm feeling even close to ready to starting over at 0. I had taken a couple weeks off and jumped back in where I'd left off and set off a chain of injuries.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,563 Member
    Options

I tried that a few years back and it's been almost 2 years before I'm feeling even close to ready to starting over at 0. I had taken a couple weeks off and jumped back in where I'd left off and set off a chain of injuries.

Pride is a b**ch, isn't she?

I pulled a 235lb deadlift in Oct and then was off for almost 8 months Because of an unrelated injury (fall) .

I back now, but it's really hard to be patient while I regain that strength. I want to be there now, but I'm back to struggling with 205!

But... I don't want to be injured again, so I'm shelving my pride this time around. Form is more important than gains.

Risking injury to gain that extra rep is NOT worth it.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Pride is a b**ch, isn't she?

I pulled a 235lb deadlift in Oct and then was off for almost 8 months Because of an unrelated injury (fall) .

I back now, but it's really hard to be patient while I regain that strength. I want to be there now, but I'm back to struggling with 205!

But... I don't want to be injured again, so I'm shelving my pride this time around. Form is more important than gains.

Risking injury to gain that extra rep is NOT worth it.

For me it was carelessness mostly... because that was 2 weeks after 2 inconsistent weeks after 2 weeks travelling after 2 inconsistent weeks preparing to travel.

So it ended up being 2-3 months, but I hadn't noticed because, "I trained last week"
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    We've all been there at some point. Ego will kill you every time. Form is everything. But we also want to push our selves. One bit of advice, that was given to me was to really focus my other muscles when lifting to make sure they are stable.
    Tighten your core, pull in those glutes, and tighten your quads then pull down. I find the by keeping everything tight I can lift a little bit more. Any way good luck hope it isn't anything more than strained muscle.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Weight is too heavy.

When the weight is too heavy doing tricep pulldowns, you will engage your upper back and shoulders and will start to hunch and do forward rotating shrugs instead.

Done w/proper weight, you should just be using your arms.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Remember if you're behind or missed a few workouts, you can lower the weight and go for more volume. I just did this with triceps this week. I actually felt like the triceps were way more engaged.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Part of it, for me, was relaxing my neck when doing certain exercises. I was doing straight arm DB pullovers & I kept having neck/trap pain every day I did them. Finally I narrowed down the exercise & realized that I was straining my neck, which was causing my issues. I lowered the weight just a little bit & focused on form, especially relaxing the neck & haven't had problems since.