Eye Laser Surgery at 40

39andfat
39andfat Posts: 144 Member
I mentioned to a colleague at work today that i want to get my eyes laser surgery and she said " I wouldn't at your age as your eyes will get worse and will only work for a few years.

Has anyone had this done at a similar age and has it worked for longer than a few years?

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Well, they will probably get worse with age, the surgery can't magically keep you and your eyes from aging. That doesn't negate the benefits of the surgery, you would still be better off.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    I work in the industry and we have 40+ year olds that get lasik all the time. Yes, eventually most everyone will need help with reading and most 40+ lasik patients end up with reading glasses at some point. But to have a few years without needing anything then more than likely only needing reading glasses part time is still worth it.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    I was about 54 when I had Lasik Surgery. I still need reading glasses, but at least I can read street signs now as I drive.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    @RunHardBeStrong what’s the success rate on people who have it redone?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I know many people that have had it done and it didn't last for some. I have always wore glasses and now bifocals. So I just kind of figure why take a chance if I need to keep readers at hand. My next thing to try is mono vision contacts where one eye is far and one is near. I decided to try this after my sister said it works great for her. The need came when I entered a trail half marathon only to find out that I need to look down at blurry roots and rocks for 13 miles, it was brutal.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    I guess that would be a question for your ophthalmologist. I have crazy eye issues, some age related, some not and unfortunately I've never been a good candidate for the surgery. Truly disappointing to have to wear glasses (can't do contacts) almost my whole life. If I could do it I would, at any age!
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    I would think it would depend on your eyes. I had PRK done several years ago, which is like lasik but because of my astigmatism they did this procedure. After 4 years, my eyes reverted back to how they were before and I now have to wear glasses and contacts. I had it done when I was 27.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    @RunHardBeStrong what’s the success rate on people who have it redone?

@caco_ethes Do you need a retouch/tweak on your original prescription or are they wanting to correct your reading prescription now? If it's a tweak on the original, success rate is very high.

Now, correcting the reading script, I wouldn't do. They often over correct and therefore yes, you can read without reading glasses but they take you back to being near sighted and will need full time distance glasses which is what most people are trying to get away from.