Sinus Surgery today. Scared it will derail my progress

Options
Good morning! Today is the day that I have sinus surgery. I have had many symptoms since September so it is a good thing.

However, I have been very good about working out and eating within my calories and I have lost 17.5 pounds since the end of January. I hope to loose 10 more by June. My recovery is 7-10 days and can not get my heart rate up during that time. I am hoping it is only 7 days. I am worried about not being able to get to the gym during that time. I also don't know if I can eat only 1200 calories. I enjoy working out and it allows me to eat the things I love.

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Eat at your maintenance calories until you are cleared by your doctor. Get well soon <3
  • ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Eat at your maintenance calories until you are cleared by your doctor. Get well soon <3

Thank you

• h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    yeah, just take a week off and chill out ... you would be surprised at how a week off of the gym and eating in a defict can actually benefit the body and mind.

you will probably put on a couple of lbs as your muscles re-fill with glycogen, your body will repair and recharge and when you get back on the fitness train it will take you about a week to get back in to the swing and get back into the groove at which point you will most likely be stronger and faster than you were before.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Of course mind your doctor and take the time you need. Also, everyone is different so you can't go by others' experience, but I had sinus surgery 5 years ago, and it wasn't a terribly big bump in my normal routine. I was on lifting restrictions for a week or two and then cleared for whatever. I did not have to have a septoplasty, so if you do, your pain level will likely be higher than mine was. For me, I just felt burning, similar to having a sinus infection (which I was used to so I didn't find it to be the torture a lot of people told me it would be) and had blood come out with my sinus rinses instead of snot for a few days.
    It was definitely worth it and I'd do it again if I needed to. I hope your experience is as good as mine was. Good luck!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,736 Member
    Options
    Definitely go to maintenance calories for 2-3 weeks, for better assurance of smooth healing. I stuck to a deficit after laparoscopic gallbladder surgery, and it was a bad idea. I should've taken a maintenance break. (Healing was OK, but got fatigued, and it took a while to recover. Not worth it!)

Don't panic if you see a scale jump after surgery: The healing-related inflammation will very likely cause a little water weight to hang on. It's normal, and will drop off when your body's ready.

If you do eat at/near maintenance for 2-3 weeks, you'll likely also see a little scale increase from water weight related to extra carbs/sodium in the added food compared to your usual, plus the weight of a little extra average food volume in transit through your digestive system. Don't let it worry you, it's not fat; it'll drop right off after a few days when you go back to your calorie deficit and workout routine.

Wishing you a speedy and stress-free recovery!