Advice on my weight loss- keep going as-is or change it up?

Options
Hello all.

So I usually reply to posts and don't create my own threads.. but I have a question I think the community can help with.

I'm currently 35yrs old, 5'9". I started off late Sept at 234-ish pounds and started using MFP on a 2lbs/wk rate of loss. My Dr. also prescribed Saxenda to aid in the efforts. If you aren't familiar, it's a daily injectible that curbs appetite, slows digestion, causes some stomach upset if I eat too much or too quickly, and is a tool to help me learn to eat less and feel full quicker and for a longer period of time.

My activity level is rather low, a lot of walking and general housework or cleaning up the garage type activities, but I've been horrible at maintaining any sort of regular exercise. I had been lifting weights when I started this, but have fallen away from that for various reasons that while understandable, are also really just excuses.

Since the first week of Oct I've lost 41lbs to date. I am now 193lbs. I feel relatively awesome and quite a bit healthier than I used to be already. Although I am a bit low on energy most days and I feel I've lost some muscle strength.

My question is this: At what weight/point in time should I slow my rate of loss to 1lb/wk AND/OR, begin eating at a mainenance levels and increase my physical activity (which I fully intend to do!)? My goal is anywhere in the 170s.

MFP has be consuming 1500cals/day for the 2lb/wk rate of loss. I frequently eat a range of 1300-1800 calories per day.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    100+ lbs to lose = 2 lbs per week
    50-75 lbs = 1.5 lbs per week
    25-50 lbs = 1 lb per week
    Less than 25 lbs to lose = 0.5 lbs per week

The other method is 1% of your body weight per week.
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Seems reasonable. Going off of that, with roughly 20lbs left to lose, that would mean going up to 2,010 calories per day (and preferably adding back in some solid weight lifting program).

Would that arrangement essentially lead me to recomp some body fat to lean muscle? I definitely need more muscle mass and strength; as I lose all this fat, I'm seeing my old, thin self underneath it all.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

Seems reasonable. Going off of that, with roughly 20lbs left to lose, that would mean going up to 2,010 calories per day (and preferably adding back in some solid weight lifting program).

Would that arrangement essentially lead me to recomp some body fat to lean muscle? I definitely need more muscle mass and strength; as I lose all this fat, I'm seeing my old, thin self underneath it all.

I wouldn't PLAN on those changes adding muscle. It's possible but it's not going to be dramatic. If anything it will help you to maintain more muscle.

I do think it's time to up your calories and slow the rate of loss down. How do you feel about your current body composition? You're not too tall so I can see want to shed more weight. You do have the option of taking a diet break as well if you're feel tired.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Sure. Use a proven lifting program. This thread lists almost every program out there.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    If I do any weight lifting I only do a Nautilus set. I am 56 and more worried about getting hurt than bulking up. A couple of years ago I messed up my shoulder to the point that I can't throw anything overhand anymore. I started walking after that and that turned into running. Regarding your question and if your doctor agrees I would stop the medication and maintain the deficit to see how you do without medication. If all goes well and you still lose at the same rate you can start to slow the loss and prepare for maintenance.
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I'd be perfectly fine with a weight training program simply maintaining existing muscle- nothing wrong with that. I will increase calories now for a while, see how that goes. At 1lb/week that gives me 1760cals/day- I'd expect that may help with my low energy and feeling tired as well. Although the new baby with erratic sleep patterns isn't helping either! A break from all of this may be warranted as well.

As for body composition, I'm overall happy with my appearance; I'm doing this half as much for general health and well-being as I am for aesthetics. I've defeated pre-diabetes and a number of other ailments thanks to just the 40lbs lost so far. In terms of body to fat content, certainly I'm too squishy in all the right places but light-years ahead of where I was 6 months ago. Definitely more physically capable and in better overall condition.

I don't feel I am anywhere close enough to begin talking about "my ideal physique" or target body fat composition yet. I would think it wise to get close to a "normal", or typical body weight and size before focusing a ton on building muscle or going after a beach body. I'm happy just to not have to look around my gut to see my shoes at this point!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Hello all.

So I usually reply to posts and don't create my own threads.. but I have a question I think the community can help with.

I'm currently 35yrs old, 5'9". I started off late Sept at 234-ish pounds and started using MFP on a 2lbs/wk rate of loss. My Dr. also prescribed Saxenda to aid in the efforts. If you aren't familiar, it's a daily injectible that curbs appetite, slows digestion, causes some stomach upset if I eat too much or too quickly, and is a tool to help me learn to eat less and feel full quicker and for a longer period of time.

My activity level is rather low, a lot of walking and general housework or cleaning up the garage type activities, but I've been horrible at maintaining any sort of regular exercise. I had been lifting weights when I started this, but have fallen away from that for various reasons that while understandable, are also really just excuses.

Since the first week of Oct I've lost 41lbs to date. I am now 193lbs. I feel relatively awesome and quite a bit healthier than I used to be already. Although I am a bit low on energy most days and I feel I've lost some muscle strength.

My question is this: At what weight/point in time should I slow my rate of loss to 1lb/wk AND/OR, begin eating at a mainenance levels and increase my physical activity (which I fully intend to do!)? My goal is anywhere in the 170s.

Last September, But Now is good too.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I think you should do a diet break at maintenance for a week to 2 weeks. I was not too big on the idea but it was suggested to me and I now know it was exactly what was needed. Your body and mind will thank you. Great job on all your weight loss!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1