What the heck?

Options
So last night I was trying check out my back to see if my right scapula was winging, and then I protracted my scapula and saw this. Is that my lat??!! My left side does not look like this. I mean, you can see the demarcation, but it doesn't stick out. Is this normal? I have impingement issues on this side, so just wondering if it's somehow related or a muscle imbalance.

tbb6efmpth0j.jpg

Replies

• Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

You're talking about the muscle line running vertically down your side from your arm and wrapping around your back correct? Yup, that's your lat, it looks exactly like mine when I raise my arm to that position but mine do look almost the same on both sides. Perhaps you just have more muscle mass on one side that makes it more visible?

Edit to add a pic for reference. Clearly the young lad in the picture is not me lol

x55763e8b1pv.png
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Thank you @Keladelphia!!! I could not find any pictures online like the one above showing something similar to how I look. My left side looks more like this picture below. It doesn't have the hill and valley look the right side does.

depositphotos_71051289-stock-photo-side-view-on-fighter-with.jpg
  • Keladelphia
    Options
    Ahhh I definitely have a DEEP valley like yours when pose similarly. I don’t have any flex pictures but you can kind of see it from the back on the attached snatch picture. One of my sides is definitely deeper as well. You look great btw!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I totally see it in your pic! Thank you for the reassurance it's normal. I guess we rarely look at ourselves in the mirror in that position. I get paranoid because I have so much trouble with that shoulder.

And thank you for the compliment! I'd love to look half as good as you!
  • Keladelphia
    Options
    I totally see it in your pic! Thank you for the reassurance it's normal. I guess we rarely look at ourselves in the mirror in that position. I get paranoid because I have so much trouble with that shoulder.

And thank you for the compliment! I'd love to look half as good as you!

Interestingly enough I have a shoulder issue on one side myself as well and am always on the lookout for visible differences. And thank you, it's kind of you to say :)