Is it really OK to eat back your workout calories?

Options
I always feel ever so bad when I do eat them. MFP sets me a 1280 daily calorie goal and I put that I was sedentary, today (according to my fitbit charge 2) I’ve walked 11,000 steps, done two gym classes (Step and Pump) and gained 821 workout calories to which I have eaten 414 of them but now I’m sat here feeling really bad!

Do others eat back they’re workout calories and still lose or should I try not to eat them back?

My daily steps are around 10k -11k everyday and I do two gym classes back to back 4x days a week, my classes are fatburn, pump, circuits, tone and step.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I came to MFP ~because~ they add workout calories and the other tracker I was using didn't. I never felt bad for using them because this was the method I chose. There are other ways to setup your goals that will include your exercise calories up front instead of adding them in after. It's just a matter of knowing which you prefer and why so that you can adjust as you go.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I find this mind boggeling too and always feel id do better in my weight loss journey if I did not eat my exercise cals back...but I always do. im hungry. :D
  • JorrunFulhelm
    JorrunFulhelm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time eating all those back as well. So, instead, I find a happy medium and eat back about half of those calories to give not only my anxiety about over eating to rest, but also to help curb any extra hunger I might feel. It might not work for you, but it has for me! Good Luck!
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    It doesn't work for me, keep in mind fitbit and other tracker overestimate a lot and I'm trying lose 10lbs. Just an idea you may change your setting to active just to see the difference. Setting your number to active probably will give another 500 to 800 calories per day and you can compare to your current daily activities. So its easier make a judgement call. Are you trying to lose or maintain?

Eating calories doesn't "work" for anyone if they're using overestimates for their calorie burn and fail to reach a deficit as a result. This doesn't mean that this method doesn't work, it means that one should use reasonable estimates for calories out, pay attention to the results, and make adjustments as needed.

Well unfortunately most fitness trackers notoriously do just that. I think the info from myfitnesspal is pretty spot on. I'm set at lightly active and eating my food cals which is 1910cals and I'm losing a pound or two a week. If I were to eat all of my workout cals, it would be over 3000 cals most days. And I know for a fact over 2500cals I start gaining. As you say, this is information is very helpful, but you have pay attention to the results and make adjustments.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work for me, keep in mind fitbit and other tracker overestimate a lot and I'm trying lose 10lbs. Just an idea you may change your setting to active just to see the difference. Setting your number to active probably will give another 500 to 800 calories per day and you can compare to your current daily activities. So its easier make a judgement call. Are you trying to lose or maintain?

Eating calories doesn't "work" for anyone if they're using overestimates for their calorie burn and fail to reach a deficit as a result. This doesn't mean that this method doesn't work, it means that one should use reasonable estimates for calories out, pay attention to the results, and make adjustments as needed.

Well unfortunately most fitness trackers notoriously do just that. I think the info from myfitnesspal is pretty spot on. I'm set at lightly active and eating my food cals which is 1910cals. If I were to eat all of my workout cals, it would be over 3000 cals most days. And I know for a fact over 2500cals I start gaining. As you say, this is information is very helpful, but you have pay attention to the results and make adjustments.

Some people do have this problem (although I've found my Fitbit to be very accurate). No matter what method we're choosing to estimate calorie burn, it's important to understand that they're all estimates.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Every person loses weight differently. I decided to be "clever" and not increase my daily calories level with 3 to 4 hours gym work outs 5 to 6 days a week. Result: the mother of all plateaus for a long time - and 3 years later I am back where I have started. I have learned my lesson...