Need a Pep Talk...Struggling with Calorie Goal and Weight

Options
CMNVA
CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
Oh, where to begin. So, I'm always trying to either lose or keep off those "last ten pounds" which, as we know, are the hardest to deal with. I am on my third go-round on MFP since 2016 in losing 10-12 lbs, getting it off, relaxing over the holidays, packing it all back on very quickly, and starting over again.

The last two times, I started out with roughly 1250 calories for about 2 weeks just to get myself going, then would up it to 1400-1500 calories for a slower weight loss. It's worked for me generally. I am not always great about sticking to my calories but I log it and average about 1600 calories. I was doing really well through the fall last year. Also did C25K and made it to 3.1 miles of running 3 days a week. Then the holidays came and I just could not pass up the delicious home made treats and meals that come along with the season. Within about 2.5 months, all the weight came back on.

About 3 weeks ago, when my biggest clothes were getting tight, I got a hold of myself and restarted my logging. Caloric start was 1410 calories. Very few days have I been able to stick with that, but overall I was doing well at around 1500-1600. Dropped 3 lbs of what I assume to be water very quickly then I remained 3 lbs lower for 2 weeks. Then came Easter. I budgeted as best I could from my Easter meal. Ended up eating about 2,200 calories that day. Got back on track the next day but really having issues sticking at 1400-1500 a day. Eating in the 1600-1700 range. That doesn't sound too bad, but my weight is now creeping back up. That is *very* discouraging as I think this is not an amount to gain weight on.

I am weighing everything I can weigh and overestimating when I'm unsure of something.

I am sedentary which is why my caloric limit is what it is. I'm 5'7", 54 y/o, started at 154 lbs. Got down to about 151, but I'm close to 154 again. Not routinely exercising at this point due to work constraints but will be doing more in the next few weeks. I don't appear to have any water retention going on (I did on Monday morning after the ham). I am also extremely hungry at dinner time and I know my portions are going over, whereas I was doing much better with that 2 weeks ago. I've tried mixing different combos of food trying to get more satiety but I am not seeing a difference on whether I eat protein in the morning or carbs.

Does anyone see any issues here?

Replies

• CMNVA
    Options
    It's far from my usual answer, but seeing as you seem to be on top of your food, I wonder if you might manage to work even a little bit more physical activity in there somewhere - a couple of ten minute walks at work, maybe 15 minutes in the AM or before dinner? You're basically struggling with maintenance, not weight loss, and although exercise isn't necessary for weight loss, it is highly correlated with successful maintenance (even just walking more). You won't make a huge deficit with 20-30 minutes of brisk walking, but you might be able to turn your trend around. Good luck!

I *should* be able to do something exercise-wise, but haven't yet managed it lately. I'll get there though. I'm just really bummed that so few calories aren't working for me. Pretty sure my age isn't helping. I used to lose weight pretty quickly on 1700 calories. I just wish my hunger would slow down with my metabolism.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    The thing with age is the slowing down, lack of movement, loss of muscle mass, not age itself so much.

As soon as work allows start adding in more everyday movement and short walks. This will give you a little higher calorie burn without upping your hunger levels.

If switching around carbs and protein isn't helping, try upping your fats a little. Many people find them satiating.

Cheers, h.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    I budgeted as best I could from my Easter meal. Ended up eating about 2,200 calories that day. Got back on track the next day but really having issues sticking at 1400-1500 a day. Eating in the 1600-1700 range. That doesn't sound too bad, but my weight is now creeping back up.

I think you're being too hard on yourself. Easter was Sunday. So your weight isn't creeping back up on you in four days. You don't have a lot to lose so it will be a slow and steady wins the race situation. Tighten up your logging, and I agree with moving a bit more to give yourself some wiggle room.
    I'd also recommend a trending app (Libra on Android, I think the Apple one is called Happy Scale) It helps tremendously to make the idea of weight loss not being linear a visual thing that's easier to have faith in.

• CMNVA
    Options
    jayemes wrote: »
    I budgeted as best I could from my Easter meal. Ended up eating about 2,200 calories that day. Got back on track the next day but really having issues sticking at 1400-1500 a day. Eating in the 1600-1700 range. That doesn't sound too bad, but my weight is now creeping back up.

I think you're being too hard on yourself. Easter was Sunday. So your weight isn't creeping back up on you in four days. You don't have a lot to lose so it will be a slow and steady wins the race situation. Tighten up your logging, and I agree with moving a bit more to give yourself some wiggle room.
    I'd also recommend a trending app (Libra on Android, I think the Apple one is called Happy Scale) It helps tremendously to make the idea of weight loss not being linear a visual thing that's easier to have faith in.

I do hope you are correct. Based on my history, I can go up a few pounds the day after a big meal. I know it is water weight and I am never concerned. I usually let go of it by the third day (should have been Tuesday or Wednesday). This morning, it seemed even higher than yesterday. To add to that, since I've been in menopause, my water retention tendencies are much less problematic than they used to be.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I usually let go of it by the third day (should have been Tuesday or Wednesday). This morning, it seemed even higher than yesterday.
    But you've also been over your calories by a few hundred each day since Sunday - drink your water, get back to your calories and give it a few more days :)

• brittmcleod123
    brittmcleod123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I find it really hard in the evenings not to snack. Does anyone have any methods to refrain from doing this? I also have to make my partners dinner and I end up snacking on his ( as he gets home late ) and then end up about 200 over my calorie goal ( 1700 ) every day. I am not sure how to do my evenings better as I find I just snack adn snack after dinner. How do others avoid this? If I try to eat more protein through the day it doesn't help as then my calories are even higher as it doesn't stop me snacking.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I agree with the advice about adding more activity. During this time when you are being slammed with work, adopt some new strategies during your work day. My favorites before I retired were taking the stairs instead of the elevator, walking to co-workers' offices if I needed to talk to them rather than phoning, or emailing (unless I needed that "paper trail"), parking further from the building or getting off the bus one stop early and walking one stop to take the bus home, and using the farthest restroom in the building. Little stuff but it added up over the course of a day. On the weekends, I adopted the same strategy when I ran errands. It's all habit now.

What helped me deal with being ravenous by dinner time was to eat more during the afternoon. I budgeted in 200 calories or so for a mid to late afternoon snack, which was generally 24 g of protein in a greek yogurt, an apple, and a cup of tea. Hot liquids seemed to help with appetite control. I never had dinner before 7 so I often had this snack around 4. Then, while preparing dinner, I snacked on cut-up vegetables so that I could live with "reasonable" (i.e. what fit in the calorie budget) portions for dinner.

Good luck with your journey. Once you are within a healthy weight range for your height, which you are, shedding additional pounds in a healthy way takes time. With a modest deficit of 250 calories a day, it takes about 2 weeks to lose a pound (if tracking is absolutely accurate) and any fat loss can be hidden by a scale gain due to water or slow digestion.

• CMNVA
    Options
    jayemes wrote: »
    I usually let go of it by the third day (should have been Tuesday or Wednesday). This morning, it seemed even higher than yesterday.
    But you've also been over your calories by a few hundred each day since Sunday - drink your water, get back to your calories and give it a few more days :)

I guess I'm really struggling to stay at 1410 calories and having a tough time facing the fact that I actually cannot even maintain at 1600. :'(
  • CMNVA
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    I agree with the advice about adding more activity. During this time when you are being slammed with work, adopt some new strategies during your work day. My favorites before I retired were taking the stairs instead of the elevator, walking to co-workers' offices if I needed to talk to them rather than phoning, or emailing (unless I needed that "paper trail"), parking further from the building or getting off the bus one stop early and walking one stop to take the bus home, and using the farthest restroom in the building. Little stuff but it added up over the course of a day. On the weekends, I adopted the same strategy when I ran errands. It's all habit now.

What helped me deal with being ravenous by dinner time was to eat more during the afternoon. I budgeted in 200 calories or so for a mid to late afternoon snack, which was generally 24 g of protein in a greek yogurt, an apple, and a cup of tea. Hot liquids seemed to help with appetite control. I never had dinner before 7 so I often had this snack around 4. Then, while preparing dinner, I snacked on cut-up vegetables so that I could live with "reasonable" (i.e. what fit in the calorie budget) portions for dinner.

Good luck with your journey. Once you are within a healthy weight range for your height, which you are, shedding additional pounds in a healthy way takes time. With a modest deficit of 250 calories a day, it takes about 2 weeks to lose a pound (if tracking is absolutely accurate) and any fat loss can be hidden by a scale gain due to water or slow digestion.

Thanks for the advice. Based on 1400-ish calories, I just feel like I have no room for anything. My diary is open, but I average about 230-295 for breakfast, in between breakfast and lunch, I have some hot tea with 1 tsp of sugar (and milk), lunch is usually a 250-330 calorie frozen meal, plus a yogurt. Some days I may have a snack a little later of popcorn or fruit. When I get home, another mug of tea keeps me going while I cook. By that time, I seem to only have about 600 calories left for dinner and snack. I cook for myself every night and I like interesting things so it's tough to keep it under 500 calories on some evenings. I've basically cut out all pasta and rice because of the calorie bombs they are. I feel like if I add more in my day, my dinner meal will be really small. I guess I'm just finding it hard to eat reasonably at 1410 calories. Today, I will already be over. That's mainly because I got so hungry after lunch that I overate some Skinny Pop popcorn.
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Instead of snacking at night waiting for your partner to get home, walk around your house briskly. If you have stairs, include those in your walks to get your heart rate up. If you do that for 30 min you can burn about 120 calories. You can do it in 10 min increments. It’s easy when you do it like that.
  • CMNVA
    Options
    ITUSGirl51 wrote: »
    Instead of snacking at night waiting for your partner to get home, walk around your house briskly. If you have stairs, include those in your walks to get your heart rate up. If you do that for 30 min you can burn about 120 calories. You can do it in 10 min increments. It’s easy when you do it like that.

Yeah, just having foot problems right now which is why I'm limiting my activity. And I'm not snacking waiting for anyone. I get home from work and immediately start cooking. The snacking is late afternoon or after dinner. I'm actually not snacking a lot. But when you only get 1410 calories it takes virtually nothing to go over your calories.
  • CMNVA
    Options
    That is a really small amount of calories for sure. To be honest, I'm wondering if those last 10-12 pounds are really worth it. If you're unhappy with how your body looks, you might be better off focusing on strength training once you're able to free up some time.

I'm pretty happy at about 145 lbs (which is only about 9 lbs from where I am). At my current weight, I am pretty uncomfortable around my midsection and very unhappy with how my clothing hangs. When I get into the 140s, I still have some cellulite and rolls, but it's much more tolerable and my figure is more uniform. I just feel better. BP goes down (not that it's overly high), and my resting heart rate even changes. Due to age, I'm experiencing some stiffness in my knees and feet and 10 lbs really makes a difference in my movement.
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    ITUSGirl51 wrote: »

Yeah, just having foot problems right now which is why I'm limiting my activity. And I'm not snacking waiting for anyone. I get home from work and immediately start cooking. The snacking is late afternoon or after dinner. I'm actually not snacking a lot. But when you only get 1410 calories it takes virtually nothing to go over your calories.

That’s too bad. I think if you found some activity you could do it would help increase the number of calories you can eat and help your appetite. I workout to earn around 300 calories a day in exercise to allow a snack at night. It feels manageable at 1750 a day. I have no idea how people keep it at 1200.

• wefts
    wefts Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    so obviously you are not eating enough to keep you full and satisfied. you can eat all your calories and still be hungry if you do not choose wisely . so I would go the volumetrics route and add more fiber, vegetables and complex carbs .( things like broth or vegetable based soups double portions of vegetables ) it is possible to stay between 1400 and 1600 and stay satisfied it does mean rethinking what you put in your mouth so that you are leaving some treat calories for the end of the day . because that is what makes this doable for me . I need to know I have saved enough for a fruit pop or some dark chocolate or even a piece of pie . I do that by adding a fiber filled protein shake , and either a high fiber low cal cereal or a serving of eggs with a bunch of vegetables ( or a salad for a mid morning snack ) . Then for lunch a broth based soup full of vegetables or something like pumpkin soup . then a normal dinner and I save 2-300 cal for an evening treat
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Large servings of vegetables is my big "savior" when I'm restricting calories more (I also make workouts a priority, but that's another matter).

A rather large mound of vegetables can contain very few calories, and can fill me up at dinner time. By the time I'm heading to bed I may be getting a bit hungry, but I can usually ignore it with a glass of water and brushing my teeth. A good, high protein meat to go with it keeps me pretty satisfied, and I leave a bit of room for a low cal desert (popsicle or the like).

I do need some fats during the day, I have seen my weight plateau without enough fats, and hunger is worse, too.
  • SalinitySally
    SalinitySally Posts: 258 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    In the past I've been in the mindset of "that's not enough calories" but right now I'm eating 1300 calories and although I'm occasionally hungry, I'm usually able to end dinner with about 100 calories left over (which I do eat). I don't want to be judgy but I don't usually have dinners that go much over 450 calories. For me it's about intense planning and having what I think of as boosters during the day, like a few almonds or a banana. When my eating is done for the day I brush my teeth and chew sugar free gum to keep everything else out of my mouth. I also do an hour of cardio most days and I must be weird because that seems to suppress my appetite. BTW I'm 61 and have a hip, ankle and knee that actually do better when I'm doing regular cardio, so maybe that would be true for you as well. Hang in there.