High fibre intake

Options
fr33sia12
fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
edited April 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I usually eat over 40g of fibre a day without even trying and
a) wanted to know if this amount of fibre every day isn't too high and
b) would it cause a feeling of fullness in my bowels and/or wind on an evening? I usually move my bowels every morning right on track with no problems, but always feel like I need to on a night too, but can't although it could also just be gas. My diary is open so you can see what types of fibre I eat.

Replies

• jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    40g is probably ok if you aren't having issues. One thing I noticed though, your sodium is WAY TOO LOW!! Are you doing that on purpose?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a specific health issue, it should be fine. People on traditional diets (whatever you want to call it) typically ate more fiber than that, probably a lot more. When I was eating plant based, so tons of beans, I hit around 70 on some days, although now that I'm eating meat and eggs and dairy again I'm more like where you are.

Yeah, fiber could definitely cause a feeling of fullness. If you are having issues beyond that, you might want to check it out or experiment -- sometimes too much fiber can backfire, although it could be related to other things (inadequate liquid, not enough fat).
  • fr33sia12
    Options
    jflongo wrote: »
    40g is probably ok if you aren't having issues. One thing I noticed though, your sodium is WAY TOO LOW!! Are you doing that on purpose?

It's usually over 3g of salt and I do sometimes add salt to my salad if it isn't, but I am trying to reduce my blood pressure so advised by my doctor to lower my salt intake.
  • fr33sia12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Unless you have a specific health issue, it should be fine. People on traditional diets (whatever you want to call it) typically ate more fiber than that, probably a lot more. When I was eating plant based, so tons of beans, I hit around 70 on some days, although now that I'm eating meat and eggs and dairy again I'm more like where you are.

Yeah, fiber could definitely cause a feeling of fullness. If you are having issues beyond that, you might want to check it out or experiment -- sometimes too much fiber can backfire, although it could be related to other things (inadequate liquid, not enough fat).

I am trying to drink more water, I'm really bad at that as I rarely feel thirsty. My fibre intake did used to be lower too until I started eating a more plant based diet.
  • jflongo
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I am trying to drink more water, I'm really bad at that as I rarely feel thirsty. My fibre intake did used to be lower too until I started eating a more plant based diet.

Today is a good example. Only being around 1.5g of sodium is the reason you aren't very thirsty. Your body regulates sodium in the body, so if you are low, then thirst goes way down. As sodium is higher, you get more thirsty. Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbKk9tbNrfQ
  • fr33sia12
    Options

It's usually over 3g of salt and I do sometimes add salt to my salad if it isn't, but I am trying to reduce my blood pressure so advised by my doctor to lower my salt intake.

Just curious, how old is your doctor :wink:

There has been a million articles about the myth of sodium and high blood pressure over the years.

To be honest I was concerned about the amount of salt I eat, that's why I've started adding it to my meals when it's really low. Maybe I need to revisit my doctor (we now have a new doctor) and see what he says.
  • jflongo
    Options
    That i

There has been a million articles about the myth of sodium and high blood pressure over the years.

To be honest I was concerned about the amount of salt I eat, that's why I've started adding it to my meals when it's really low. Maybe I need to revisit my doctor (we now have a new doctor) and see what he says.

That is a good idea, and make sure to watch the youtube video I linked.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Also this: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/08/health/salt-health-effects.html
    "Why Everything We Know About Salt May Be Wrong"
  • jflongo
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

ahoy_m8 wrote: »

The really weird thing is that I am a uni student. Through the uni library I can get access to many peer reviewed articles. I had a look at the 11,000 + articles on salt and hypertension. Even the most current ones I looked at stated that reducing salt intake would decrease blood pressure. I'll go by peer reviewed articles rather than what some random said on a message board and someone that was using a newspaper article as proof any day of the week. I suspect the doctor will well on top of current research and is giving correct advice. A second opinion is always a good idea but I would put money on a second doctor recommending a reduction in sodium also

Well here is the funny part. How many doctors over the years have said to follow the food pyramid? Now that is completely being ripped apart and changed. In the past they would recommend around 70% carbs due to the food pyramid. That are hundreds of thousands of doctors out there that have followed old rules, hopefully they are staying current on studies.

How many doctors say your sodium is too high and that is causing a person to gain weight and high blood pressure? Just to find out many of these people are eating at Fast Food restaurants eating complete crap? So their health issues were actually due to their diet, crappy food, and nothing to do with sodium. Just saying :smile:
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

The really weird thing is that I am a uni student. Through the uni library I can get access to many peer reviewed articles. I had a look at the 11,000 + articles on salt and hypertension. Even the most current ones I looked at stated that reducing salt intake would decrease blood pressure. I'll go by peer reviewed articles rather than what some random said on a message board and someone that was using a newspaper article as proof any day of the week. I suspect the doctor will well on top of current research and is giving correct advice. A second opinion is always a good idea but I would put money on a second doctor recommending a reduction in sodium also

Well here is the funny part. How many doctors over the years have said to follow the food pyramid? Now that is completely being ripped apart and changed. In the past they would recommend around 70% carbs due to the food pyramid. That are hundreds of thousands of doctors out there that have followed old rules, hopefully they are staying current on studies.

How many doctors say your sodium is too high and that is causing a person to gain weight and high blood pressure? Just to find out many of these people are eating at Fast Food restaurants eating complete crap? So their health issues were actually due to their diet, crappy food, and nothing to do with sodium. Just saying :smile:

Dr's learn little to nothing about nutrition. Many now recommend keto/low carb diets unnecessarily. Or VLCD's with prescribed supplements. Just saying.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options

Dr. says X, which is proven incorrect.

Ergo, when Dr. says Y, Y must also be incorrect (which, of course, would imply that nothing the doc says has any merit).

Disregarding the actual opinions represented (which, interestingly enough, happen to coincide with your own), the logic here is faulty.

Additionally, if you have reason to believe a health care professional is giving you incorrect advice, you may want to enlist the aid of another professional (and not entrust your well-being to random forum posts).