13»

Replies

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Greek yogurt + fresh Kiwis

Sour and a gross consistency.

My cooking teacher would be disappointed in me. She repeats the old mantra "no kiwi or ananas with milk" pretty much at every lesson. I know why now...

? My smoothie breakfast that I have several days each week has 4 oz of kefir and a whole banana, along with other stuff, and everything plays nice together.

@JeromeBarry1

Does the other stuff include kiwis? Cause the problem is not yogurt + fruit, it's specific to kiwis and to a lesser extent ananas. There's enzymes in those that will make milk taste horribly bitter. Granted, it probably depends on a) how ripe the fruit is and b) how long you let it stand. If you have kiwis and add yogurt and eat it, then there's a chance it'll be fine. Forget it for half an hour and forget about eating it...
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    When I was a young adult, I once made a roast (back when I ate mammal meat) and I knew mom used carrots, potatoes and onions. I didn't know that Spanish onions were different than the sweet onions she always used. My roommates didn't ever let me live that one down; a piece of beef that would bring tears to your eyes...
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Non dairy cheese and sour cream - every time I have used them, they pretty much ruined whatever I was cooking.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Non dairy cheese and sour cream - every time I have used them, they pretty much ruined whatever I was cooking.

Agreed. We eat quite a bit of vegan stuff but not the non dairy cheese.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    madwells1 wrote: »
    Air fryer homemade paleo sweet potato tater tots (mashed sweet potatos, coconut flour, egg and other random spices). This was by far the most disgusting thing ever and went straight into the trash.

I am an air fryer hater as everything I have tried (other than pre-processed food) has been terrible!!

I feel the same way.

I am also a slow cooker hater. I've had at least 5 different Crock Pots through the years, and I'm fine with using them for things I watch like a hawk such as beans, soup/stew, or apple butter. Also great for keeping dips hot for parties. But when it comes to "throw in a few ingredients and some meat" meals, I haven't had good experiences. It's either undercooked or burnt and gooey. Is it just me? (I usually do well with any recipe, unless it's a slow cooker meal)

It's not just you. I gave my crockpot to Goodwill. Hated that thing. I think most slow cooker recipes, especially the ones on Pinterest are horribly overrated and most are just downright terrible.

I don't use Pinterest - are there reviews for recipes like on allrecipes.com? If I'm not getting a recipe from a trusted source like the Joy of Cooking or America's Test Kitchen, I'd like to read reviews. On allrecipes, you'll often see a consensus in the reviews like you need to use less liquid, and this can make the difference between success or failure. Or that you should avoid a particular recipe.

I haven't tried all of the recipes in The Gourmet Slow Cooker: Simple and Sophisticated Meals from Around the World, maybe 50%, but all of them have turned out well.

Note - this is not a "dump and walk away" cookbook. There can be a good amount of prep time involved, and many of the recipes aren't long enough to start before being out of the house for 9 hours or so for work. Since I work from home, it works for me. For smaller cuts of meat, I often use my lunch break to prep the recipe, and then it's ready for dinner. If I still worked in an office I'd save these recipes for the weekend.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Air fryer homemade paleo sweet potato tater tots (mashed sweet potatos, coconut flour, egg and other random spices). This was by far the most disgusting thing ever and went straight into the trash.

I am an air fryer hater as everything I have tried (other than pre-processed food) has been terrible!!

I feel the same way.

I am also a slow cooker hater. I've had at least 5 different Crock Pots through the years, and I'm fine with using them for things I watch like a hawk such as beans, soup/stew, or apple butter. Also great for keeping dips hot for parties. But when it comes to "throw in a few ingredients and some meat" meals, I haven't had good experiences. It's either undercooked or burnt and gooey. Is it just me? (I usually do well with any recipe, unless it's a slow cooker meal)

It's not just you. I gave my crockpot to Goodwill. Hated that thing. I think most slow cooker recipes, especially the ones on Pinterest are horribly overrated and most are just downright terrible.

I don't use Pinterest - are there reviews for recipes like on allrecipes.com? If I'm not getting a recipe from a trusted source like the Joy of Cooking or America's Test Kitchen, I'd like to read reviews. On allrecipes, you'll often see a consensus in the reviews like you need to use less liquid, and this can make the difference between success or failure. Or that you should avoid a particular recipe.

I haven't tried all of the recipes in The Gourmet Slow Cooker: Simple and Sophisticated Meals from Around the World, maybe 50%, but all of them have turned out well.

Note - this is not a "dump and walk away" cookbook. There can be a good amount of prep time involved, and many of the recipes aren't long enough to start before being out of the house for 9 hours or so for work. Since I work from home, it works for me. For smaller cuts of meat, I often use my lunch break to prep the recipe, and then it's ready for dinner. If I still worked in an office I'd save these recipes for the weekend.

I don't cook meals often because my husband cooks for us and works from home. And we don't eat meat at home. If things were different, I'd check out that cookbook for sure. I mentioned in my response earlier that I do like slow cookers for recipes that I will be watching and stirring etc, rather than the "dump and walk away" type. I feel like so many of my friends & coworkers do the "dump and walk away" and are super happy with the results when they come home 9 hrs later to eat - and I am absolutely vexed by that, because mine were always a mess...lol.

I agree on Pinterest recipes. So many duds!! We do use it to find recipes sometimes, but try to vet them out thoroughly.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I feel the same way.

I don't like Pinterest. I google recipes and read reviews.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options

Agreed. We eat quite a bit of vegan stuff but not the non dairy cheese.

Can honestly say I have never tried vegan cheese. I know the fat free stuff is pretty lifeless!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Mine would have to be thinking it was a good idea to mix cottage cheese & powdered peanut butter! Utterly disgusting!

Also making the overnight oats. The Brownie Batter one had literally no sweetness even while adding a few Stevia packets.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I will try to remember something I recently tried and threw out.

I saw a recipe mixing ranch dressing and avocado. I am not crazy about ranch, it is okay. I don't remember if the recipe called for the pre-made bottled stuff or the powder, I purchased the dry powder store brand ranch mix. I figured I would try it and I could always sprinkle some on pop-corn. I added the powder to an avocado, it wasn't good. It tasted almost like a banana to me. I finished it but I will not try that again.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    My worst ever was something called "Chippy Fish" - fish fillets battered in a crumbled potato chips & mayo concoction. I thought it sounded different yet promising, but it was just wretched. This was years ago and not a healthier recipe, obviously.
    @seltzermint555 I think I remember this idea being published. I believe I tried it on chicken, and no it doesn't not work on that either.
  • New2ket0
    New2ket0 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Trying out lots of new recipes the ingredients listed first and a few say mix all the dry ingredients mix all the wet ingredients in a separate bowl then add all the dry ingredients or one pot meals , put all the i ingredients in for so many hours...

Then the last line of the method will say now add the cream or cheese and I’ve already put it in with everything else , devastation to put it politely 😝