Strange feelings - is there anything I should look into?

Options
mrs_kurz
mrs_kurz Posts: 185 Member
Hi Everyone,

So I'm trying to eat healthily and cut out junk, I realise I won't be perfect straight away but i need to cut down so this is my aim.

Today I had porridge for breakfast with a little dried fruit and some honey. An orange for a snack mid morning.

By lunch time I feel shaky and have intense cravings for something sugary. I resisted and have my homemade vegetable soup with edemame beans and a plum. However I have this weak feeling in my arms like they are going to collapse if that makes sense. Its such an intense feeling of craving it makes me breathe harder and stuff.

Is this normal? I've had my thyroid tested and i'm not diabetic, but has anyone else had these uncontrollable feelings that make you feel awful when you don't eat sugary things?

Any help appreciated or tips of what to eat for balanced, healthy lifestyle

Replies

• GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Were you eating a lot of sugar previously?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    well if you've just started your body has no clue whats going on :) Maybe you have to wait too long between meals? so maybe try and mid morning snack, some nuts/dried fruit, a banana/apple etc, anything to keep those shakes from happening. You are getting sugar withdrawals.

Good on you for persevering, keep on going, your body will get used to its new calorie intake - the first week is going to be the hardest.

Wishing you all the best on this journey :)
  • reree6898
    reree6898 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you have just started trying to eat better you are likely having withdrawals from the sugar. When I first started I felt like I had the flu or somthing for the first several days as my body was adjusting to not having all of the extra sugar and junk that I had been eating. I would say if it continues for more then a few days, or gets more intense you may want to just check in with your doctor for good measure.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I would keep eating healthy for a few days and see if this goes away. When you feel weak, you should probably eat something. If you're craving sweets, try a piece of fruit. If it doesn't improve you should check with your doctor.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Your breakfast and snack are pretty much pure sugar. Once your body took all the sugar out of your blood, it reacted to the low blood sugar by freaking out and asking you to eat more of it.

Adding some protein to your breakfast might help.
  • KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    The dried fruit, honey, plum and orange are all loaded with sugar. As the other posted listed, how much sugar had you been accustomed to?

Try adding a bit of good fats to your diet. A teaspoon of coconut oil stirred into your porridge is awesome!

And protein...do you like eggs? I live on eggs!
  • BlessedBe23
    BlessedBe23 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you don't have low blood sugar? That's what is sounds like to me. Alternately, if you're used to eating a lot of sugar and have now cut way back, it could be you coming down off the sugar....literally like a junkie. I suffer from that but it's getting better.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    you would/will probably get a headache from sugar 'withdrawl' if you're used to eating alot of it and cut down.

but if you're feeling a bit shaky/dizzy and weak then you might need sodium? (low levels of sodium can cause low blood pressure)
  • PheonixRizing
    PheonixRizing Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I would recommend another trip to the doctors but that sounds like what happens to me when my blood sugar drops. I don't have a thyroid problem or diabetes either but it is a distinct feeling like your body need sugar and NOW. Instead of giving it sugar I eat a sandwich or something with carbs. You should google blood sugar drops, you may not have diabetes but since you are just starting your weight loss journey your body might be going a little out of wack and you may need to make sure you are getting your carbs from good sources and balancing your proteins and whatnot to regulate your bodies insulin production. If you can't get any help from your doctor, you could see a nutritionist. They are excellent source for helping you along your journey. Do not let this be ignored though. It's very important to give your body what it needs when it needs it so you don't feel that way. Good luck to you.
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of carbs and not much protein or fat. I agree with the pp that it sounds like your blood sugar shot up with the carby breakfast & snack and then crashed. Adding protein and fats will help even out the big swings and should help you feel better.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Sounds like withdrawl symptoms. Either ween yourself slowly off sugar rather than going cold turkey, or suck it up and push through. If it keeps going to a week, go to a doctor.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    No one likes to admit sugar is addictive and yes there are physical withdrawal symptoms.
  • sabrafox
    sabrafox Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You've had almost no protein or fat in those meals. I would recommend trying to put in both of those. They will help satiate you and keep you full longer. Additionally, make sure you're drinking plenty of water.

Also, if you are just beginning this journey and you were eating a lot of sugar, your body will go through withdrawals. The worst of them should pass after about three days but they should NOT leave you feeling faint. Good luck on your journey!
  • ezziepug
    ezziepug Posts: 57
    Options
    I feel the way you describe when I don't eat enough protein and fat with each meal. Based on your description of your meals, it might be that you are shaky from blood sugar crashes and need to add more food that digests slowly. I find that even a "good carb" like oatmeal/porridge can cause my blood sugar to go wonky if I don't add fat and protein to my breakfast. I'm not an expert by any means, but you might want to try balancing your carbs a little more.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    This sounds like hypoglycemia - this is a condition where your body typically produces too much insulin, so you burn off simple carbs very quickly, leaving your blood sugar low. Low blood sugar is what gives you that awful shaky feeling, and makes you crave sugar. Left too long, you may also get nauseous.

The best way to prevent the shakiness, is to eat more balanced meals that include both complex carbohydrates and protein. For breakfast, try adding in an egg or milk, and skip either the dried fruit or the honey. For you (& me) a cheese stick might be a better snack than an orange.

If it's too late, and I'm already shaky, I usually eat or drink a small amount of something sugary to stop the shakes immediately. A small piece of fruit, a glass of juice, or if the vending machine is my only option, a little bit of regular coke. Then I eat something with some protein and/or whole grains to hold me over to the next meal. Any kind of nuts are great, greek yogurt works well, and also cheese and high fiber crackers.

Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of carbs and not much protein or fat. I agree with the pp that it sounds like your blood sugar shot up with the carby breakfast & snack and then crashed. Adding protein and fats will help even out the big swings and should help you feel better.

this
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I really think you probably aren't eating enough. Add some protein to your breakfast like scrambled eggs or egg whites. Have cottage cheese or yogurt with your orange for your snack. Maybe a salad with grilled chicken with your soup at lunch.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Your breakfast and snack are pretty much pure sugar. Once your body took all the sugar out of your blood, it reacted to the low blood sugar by freaking out and asking you to eat more of it.

I had a similar reaction when I tried lowering my sugar intake. Take a look at this:

http://media-cache-ak1.pinimg.com/originals/dc/21/fb/dc21fb4bfdb3282bb957b86514dc2301.jpg
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

^^^THIS! The first half of your day was nothing but carbs. What you were experiencing was a sugar crash after your insulin spiked.
    Try adding some protein and healthy fats. Eggs for breakfast. Nuts for a snack. That should help a LOT.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    The first thing I would have said was diabetes. If you've been tested for that, then it's probably just your body readjusting, especially if you had a high sugar diet before. The same thing used to happen to me, and it would stop in a few days. Try not to leave it too long between meals.