Rotator cuff tendinitis

Options
I'm finally seeing definition in my arms and now have been diagnosed with rotator cuff tendinitis. I've been told to not use weights while exercising until I complete my physical therapy (which I can't get an appointment for yet). Are there exercises I can do to keep my biceps and triceps toned without aggravating my rotator cuff?

Replies

• sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have a partial tear and can do bicep curls just fine and tricep on a machine just fine both the shoulder is in a neutral position. Only thing that is difficult or dangerous is overhead presses and some chest presses but would wait until you get ok from dr or PT because having mine thinking it was better and then retearing it because I wanted to push it is just a bad idea.
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I have a partial tear and can do bicep curls just fine and tricep on a machine just fine both the shoulder is in a neutral position. Only thing that is difficult or dangerous is overhead presses and some chest presses but would wait until you get ok from dr or PT because having mine thinking it was better and then retearing it because I wanted to push it is just a bad idea.

^^^ This. Also try not to lift heavy things at home (I messed myself up more by doing so). I had rotary cuff injury in both shoulders and physio exercises fixed me up. I hope you both recover soon.
  • frida001
    frida001 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses, @sschauer513 and @ElizabethAN2017 . I got diagnosed with frozen shoulder, so I have to stretch that out before I'm allowed to strengthen again. Bummer.
  • stephaniep12345mfp
    stephaniep12345mfp Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I just got diagnosed with rotator cuff tendinitis and am starting PT soon. Meanwhile, my doctor said not to push it too hard but not to baby it, either, meaning continue to try to use it as much as possible but not to the point where it causes more damage. I'm looking forward to PT to strengthen the muscles around it and get back to a pain-free life!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Body Blade. They aren't too expensive. Probably the best single device you can have to work the small muscles in the shoulder, not only for PT, but also for warmups. Around $99 for a smaller one. There are cheaper imitations of them. People look at them and think Shake Weight, but they were invented by a PT for shoulder PT. Would also work (though mildly) biceps and triceps.

Look, if your shoulder is hurt, you can't worry too much about losing definition. In the long run, if you work the small muscles of the shoulder properly, your arms will be killer. I hurt my shoulder pretty bad one year and had to work 6 months on rehab. But my shoulders, in the long run, were fantastic, because I learned a lot about different ways to hit different muscles.

Scapular pushups and hanging therapy were huge in my recovery.
  • g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    frida001 wrote: »
    Thank you for your responses, @sschauer513 and @ElizabethAN2017 . I got diagnosed with frozen shoulder, so I have to stretch that out before I'm allowed to strengthen again. Bummer.

Make sure to follow PT info/exercises. This can get super painful and return. Best wishes!