Is Anybody still doing step aerobics

Options

Replies

• SouthernMamaUnderConsruction
    Options
    My shock cardio from Cathe Friedrich has a few step workouts. The STS uses them too.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Irir5 wrote: »
    Is there one Firm video or more? I am hearing about Firm all time so I am thinking about ordering one.

There are tons of Firm videos. The latest ones don't use the step. I haven't tried those, so can't comment.
    All the step videos are super excellent however.

The Firm uses a two piece step however. Not sure if you can get a hold of one now. (Firm was bought by Gaiam and killed sadly)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Yep, lots of firm videos use the step. Theirs is different than a regular step. They call it a short box in the older videos, Fanny lifter later on. A Rubbermaid kitchen step works well for their routines. Regular step uses a longer, flatter step than the box/Fanny lifter. I only have a Rubbermaid kitchen step, so have to modify other routines that use a traditional aerobic step. Cathe Friedrich incorporates a step in most of her workouts. Denise Austin and Caribbean workout also does some step. I really like their kickboxing step routines.
  • hablondi
    hablondi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Irir5 wrote: »
    Is there one Firm video or more? I am hearing about Firm all time so I am thinking about ordering one.

There are literally 100s of Firm videos. The Firm was started in the mid 1980s by Anna Benson. IMO they are the best home workouts available. My experience is that the earlier, the better. Volumes 1-6 are amazing and will kick your butt. If you are looking for some really great step workouts check out there Body Sculpting System series with the Fanny Lifter or the Transfirmer. There is a group on FB that has a daily Firm check-in thread and lots of great information. I believe it is called Firm Originals.

I had done the Firm on and off for years, but only started doing the older workouts about a year ago. The difference in my figure is amazing (not brave enough to post the before and after bikini pics so you'll just have to take my word for it :).
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I did until recently, since I ended up falling down and injuring myself too many times. Had to cut out Zumba too. I take spin class now - I occasionally fall off of it too but not as bad.

But you enjoy it!
  • LewisAMartinez
    LewisAMartinez Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I do step workouts. The aerobics and up/down movements help my hiking.
  • txtea3
    txtea3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Late to the convo but I love step aerobics, its really the only workout I enjoy doing. My fave is Kathy Kaehler's Fitness Program from the early 90s! :) Never get tired of that one!
  • zoeandnimo
    zoeandnimo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Les Mills Bodystep is popular at my gym right now! Super fun and a great workout!
  • DancingMoosie
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I do Karla's step on her YouTube channel Fitoutsidethebox! Jenny Ford and CDorner also have some good step routines.
    Lets share some links here! I did this one today:
    https://youtu.be/FaHb9h4AuBA
  • Tanya_Clair
    Tanya_Clair Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My mum and I were talking about this a couple weeks ago, as we remember going to classes back in the 2000s! I haven't done any since, but am thinking about recommending it to mum as a way to build up her cardio and general fitness. For those who do it regularly, are there youtube workouts etc that can be followed by beginners? One main issue my mum has is with her knees, does step aerobics cause alot of impact on the knees?
  • LunaTheFatCat
    LunaTheFatCat Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Aaaaw I used to love Step classes. Unfortunately the trainer left the gym and those classes were never replaced.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    My mum and I were talking about this a couple weeks ago, as we remember going to classes back in the 2000s! I haven't done any since, but am thinking about recommending it to mum as a way to build up her cardio and general fitness. For those who do it regularly, are there youtube workouts etc that can be followed by beginners? One main issue my mum has is with her knees, does step aerobics cause alot of impact on the knees?

Yes! Jenny Ford, Karla, and CDorner all have basic and beginner routines on YouTube
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    Aaaaw I used to love Step classes. Unfortunately the trainer left the gym and those classes were never replaced.

You can do lots of step on YouTube!
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    Freestyle stepper here. Fabian Kuhn on you tube. And Keith Coleman on facebook, there’s also a group of presenters on the color-fit group on Facebook.
    Steps good for cardio, but it doesn’t tone, OP. You need to lift weights for that.

Im gonna look up some of the people recommended here .
  • DancingMoosie
    Options

Just try and see how it feels. You can also do it without the step. Start with basic, then beginner routines.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    Loved it then, love it now. The Reebok step video with the drummers!! Gin Miller, i think?

Classic! As soon as gyms closed I pulled out my old step and found her videos on YouTube!
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    I also like Yvette Bachman workouts. She uses a step In a lot of them, but doesn't necessarily do "step aerobics" or routines. I did this one today:
    https://youtu.be/jD7lReniTp8
  • AquaFan
    AquaFan Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Haha I still have my step in my closet and was just talking to my husband about whether I should get rid of it. Boy what a blast from the past. I used to be obsessed with the Firm and had tons of their videos. I used to also have Kelli Roberts Ultimate Step and loved it. However, I got my start with Cher's step workout. Loved it. And Cathe Freiderich was the queen to me. I felt like I was flying when I did her workouts.
  • hablondi
    hablondi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    AquaFan wrote: »
    Haha I still have my step in my closet and was just talking to my husband about whether I should get rid of it. Boy what a blast from the past. I used to be obsessed with the Firm and had tons of their videos. I used to also have Kelli Roberts Ultimate Step and loved it. However, I got my start with Cher's step workout. Loved it. And Cathe Freiderich was the queen to me. I felt like I was flying when I did her workouts.

I love The Firm and still do their workouts on a regular basis. It was their 90 Day Rotation that helped me get into the best shape of my adult life. I also ended up with an over use shoulder injury from it, but that is my fault for not listening to my body, not theirs. I had shoulder surgery 6 weeks ago and am really looking forward to bringing my TransFirmer back out!
  • JessBbody
    JessBbody Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    After reading this thread I was inspired to buy a step! Thank you.

Two days ago I tried a Jenny Ford beginner video, and the next day I tried a basic video. They were both too fast for me. Does anyone have any recommendations for YouTube videos where the foot movements are a little slower than these?