MFP VS. Weight Watchers

Options
I have felt so out of control lately and thought I ruined things again today by eating the rest of a pint of Ben and Jerry’s (1cup). I thought my whole day was blown because I was way over on Weight Watcher points. I decided to see how many calories I ate and it was only 1,000. I don’t know how the day will end up but it’s 430pm and I’m under 1200. I feel that by counting calories it let me see that I didn’t ruin things and I am having a successful day after all. I have been trying to manage my weight by counting points for months but every day I find myself not trusting that math process and needing to know the actual calorie count. I just don’t know which plan is better because calorie intake can vary so drastically even if you are eating the same number of points every day. I feel like I am in a free fall with no real security unless I know total daily calories. And it was coming back to mfp today that showed me I didn’t ruin my day just by having 26 points of ice cream when if I had gone by ww math my day would have been blown on only 1,000 calories. Something is wrong with their math..

Replies

• SalinitySally
    SalinitySally Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you trust your own MFP logging. Go with it.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    What do you do when you go over points? Do you say "I blew it" and keep going to the point of overeating? If counting calories allows you to have flexibility and enjoyment, while staying within your limits and losing weight, then do that. It sounds like you feel better counting calories.
  • Kayla647
    Kayla647 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My friend does weight watchers and I can't wrap my head around the points system it doesn't make sense to me, the CICO method makes sense which is why I use MFP
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    For me, personally, I think MFP is easier. I just don't get the rules about what you keeping track of points. To me, it's just easier that I get a set amount of calories at the beginning of the day, and if I want more calories, I have to work out, lol.
  • lmbecker12
    lmbecker12 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am currently in the process of switching from WW to MFP, mainly because I am finding sodium is a huge issue with me, and that it's really affecting me.

I appreciate some of the thoughts behind WW in that unhealthy foods (higher saturated fats/higher sugar) are higher points and that high protein/fruits/veggies are low points. I feel great when eating this way, however I don't like that it can be easy to eat unlimited amounts of "free foods" and convince yourself you can still lose weight. I'm not sure it's a good indicator anymore of how much a person is eating as you lose that double-check.

I will continue to essentially eat as WW taught me, but will be tracking 100% in MFP and no longer a member of WW. I was tracking in both and like you, found it to be a pain in the rear!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    WW plus points lists the various flavors of Ben & Jerry's at 3-8 points for 1/2 a cup.

Is that really enough to blow a whole day?

I haven't done points plus, but if I remember right on the old plan I had 32 points per day, so a cup of ice cream, even good ice cream, would always fit.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    WW plus points lists the various flavors of Ben & Jerry's at 3-8 points for 1/2 a cup.

I haven't done points plus, but if I remember right on the old plan I had 32 points per day, so a cup of ice cream, even good ice cream, would always fit.

OP at the whole pint, not just a half a cup. So it was nearly her whole points allotment for the day.

Personally, I did WW with Points Plus and did very well. When they switched so Smart Points (and then Beyond the Scale), I stopped having as much success. Mostly because I'm a grown *kitten* woman who doesn't need to be told that jelly beans or ice cream or chocolate is "unhealthy" by using up a 1/4 of my daily points. I just found that punishing fat and sugar is silly.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I don't like about Weight Watchers & Slimming World, they create a massively unhealthy guilt around foods that could easily be fit into a balanced diet that still allows for weight loss. Also don't like the guilt trip some of their "leaders" lay on people who haven't seen a loss, when in reality most of them are just experiencing normal water weight fluctuations, I have heard some right horror stories from friends.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

OP at the whole pint, not just a half a cup. So it was nearly her whole points allotment for the day.

Personally, I did WW with Points Plus and did very well. When they switched so Smart Points (and then Beyond the Scale), I stopped having as much success. Mostly because I'm a grown *kitten* woman who doesn't need to be told that jelly beans or ice cream or chocolate is "unhealthy" by using up a 1/4 of my daily points. I just found that punishing fat and sugar is silly.

I think OP ate part of a pint (they refer to "the rest"), which equaled 1 pint. Although it's possible they had eaten more earlier in the day and they were just finishing off what was left after their initial planned portion?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I genuinely don't understand the appeal of the WW points system (although I know a lot of people who appreciate the group support structure). If you've got a reasonably good head for numbers, counting calories is much more accurate and logical. And if you don't have a good head for numbers, I don't see why points would be easier to manage than calories.
  • amlelas68
    amlelas68 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have been on WW before and definitely support both plans. I know WW also has a simple filling plan which is less of point counting. For me the MFP works better because i Know exactly where I am at. You could log in the MFP and go to WW for the support and would be getting the best of both worlds. :)