success with tdee-20%?

Options
I have lost 50 ish lbs since last August and for the last few months I haven't lost anything except motivation! So I'm thinking of changing things up a bit and trying the tdee-20%. I'd like to hear from any who have tried this. I still have 50 more lbs to lose!

Replies

• strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I thought MFP's settings and the TDEE method were comparable. That's not the case? Is TDEE-20% going to give you a greater or lesser calorie allowance?

And congrats on losing 52 lbs!
  • JustSammi
    Options
    Hi, I've successfully lost 20 lbs doing TDEE-20%. Even though it hasn't been linear I've lost 1 lb a week on average except for the times that I haven't logged my intake like weekends away or holidays.

The important thing is to eat enough and not to eat under your BMR. I have been doing this for the past month without even realising that I've been under eating by around 1000 calories a week and as a result my weight loss stalled. I'm back on it now and making sure I'm eating enough and I'm certain the weight will start dropping off again.

Good luck! :smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I thought MFP's settings and the TDEE method were comparable. That's not the case? Is TDEE-20% going to give you a greater or lesser calorie allowance?

And congrats on losing 52 lbs!

they are if you use MFP correctly - set it to the right activity level and eat exercise cals back
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I discovered TDEE-20% after a week on MFP of starving and obsessing about food with 1200 calories a day. I have lost 30 pounds since May 2. I have 29 more to lose and my weight loss hasn't slowed down, I lost 2.2 lbs this week when I weighed in this morning. I'm 5 ft 5 inches and I shoot for 1600 calories a day. There are some days I don't eat that many.

I selected slightly active, but I think I may be moderately active. I'm a pediatric nurse, so I'm on my feet 40 hours a week, and when I'm home I'm always cleaning, mowing, etc.

It's hard to guess if what works for one person will work for another, we're all made different with different body chemistry. I did slowly up my calories by 50 or so every few days to get from 1200 to where I'm at now.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It would only possibly change your calorie intake but it shouldn't if you've been doing your calculations properly. More likely is that you need to just change things up in general. Take a look at your eating habits. Are you being honest with your food intake and exercise logging? It's easy in the beginning to be a bit off and still lose because the deficit is so big from where you started. The closer you get to goal the more critical it becomes to be sure that you are staying on track.