Shiatsu Massage

Options
Grnhouse
Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
Wondering if anyone has tried Shiatsu Massage for joint pain relief?

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on what's causing the pain. i wouldn't expect it to cure anything, for instance if the pain's from actual injury or inflammation inside the joint.

with that said though, pain tends to spread. so if one of my joints is painful the muscles associated with it can tighten up in order to try and guard it. any kind of body work that encourages more natural muscle condition is helpful in an indirect kind of way. and i've also had the odd joint that got uncomfortable because of super-tight muscles affecting how the different bones were aligned.

i'd go gentle and take a try-then-inspect kind of approach. and again, to repeat: it depends on what's making your joints hurt in the first place.
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    @canadianlbs I have low back pain. I tried deep tissue massage but was interested in this.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Over the years I have tried different forums but have been with deep massage for the past 24 years for my arthritis pain. I have been relative pain free since I went Keto Oct 2014 yet I still go with the deep massage as we work to reverse frozen muscles and joints.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Grnhouse wrote: »
    @canadianlbs I have low back pain. I tried deep tissue massage but was interested in this.

Do you know what the cause of the pain is? Massage may give temporary relief from symptoms but the real answer is to rreat the underlying cause.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I had a shiatsu massage once, and I enjoyed it. From what I recall it was similar to deep tissue, but with karate chops and light striking with a bamboo stick. I enjoy massages, I have thick muscles and it helps me with mobility. But when you say joint relief, that sounds more in the realm of Chiropractors and Reflexologists. As where massage are more for muscle soreness, cramping and overall tightness.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I had a shiatsu massage once, and I enjoyed it. From what I recall it was similar to deep tissue, but with karate chops and light striking with a bamboo stick. I enjoy massages, I have thick muscles and it helps me with mobility. But when you say joint relief, that sounds more in the realm of Chiropractors and Reflexologists. As where massage are more for muscle soreness, cramping and overall tightness.

Great point. In our area the Chiropractors and Massage Therapist tend to cross refer patients so I do both often on the same day. The Chiropractors prefer to see me right after my deep tissue massages. I am eating to help move the calcium deposits out of the wrong places back into my bones and teeth as well. In my case it is a team effort.
  • johnslater461
    johnslater461 Posts: 449 Member
    Options

Great point. In our area the Chiropractors and Massage Therapist tend to cross refer patients so I do both often on the same day. The Chiropractors prefer to see me right after my deep tissue massages. I am eating to help move the calcium deposits out of the wrong places back into my bones and teeth as well. In my case it is a team effort.

Please explain, in detail, the mechanism of action behind this bit of nonsense.