Nutritional facts on food

Options
Are the nutritional favts of a certain meat based on raw meat or cooked meat? Because whenever I weigh something I cook, it weigh less than when I weighed it raw. So which weight do i follow?

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    OnalimOjag wrote: »
    Are the nutritional favts of a certain meat based on raw meat or cooked meat? Because whenever I weigh something I cook, it weigh less than when I weighed it raw. So which weight do i follow?

I log raw. Much more accurate to me.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Unless it specifically states otherwise, the nutrition listed is for raw/as is.

When you cook meat (and a lot of other things ) it looses moisture so it weighs less.

I agree that raw is more accurate, but regardless you need to use the correct entry in the database. There are usda entries for example for both raw and cooked.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    "The most important thing however is to be consistent." exactly! Find a entry and stick to it!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    Options
    So the funny part is that everything except the conclusion is absolutely correct.

Statistically speaking a bunch of random errors tend to cancel each other out with the actual total error smaller than the sum of the absolute values of the individual errors.

Think of it as another reason as to why weight loss is not linear! :lol:

So, yeah, a lot good information in their graph. But a bit of a biased conclusion.

As to the entry to use.... whichever is available and appropriate as long as it's paired correctly: cooked entry for cooked food, raw entry for uncooked food.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    IDK.....I cook my meats in a broiler or George foreman grill. So much of the fat that is in my food raw is not there when I eat it. I would not call that accurate.
    But I still scan the barcode on the raw food and log it. It's not that big of a deal really. I still lose weight.