People LOVE to discourage

This is not a vent, more of a “You’re not alone” post. I see many posts about friends, coworkers, family making comments that seem to be more on the discouraging side. I’m sure we all get them. People who are not happy with the fact that they’re not doing anything about their health/weight so they feel the need to say something negative about you doing so. Just pity those folks, they are only harming themselves.

For instance, my husband & I get up at 4:00 to hit the gym. Our children are sleeping & normally don’t wake before we return around 6:15. They know where we are & are all old enough to get themselves some breakfast.

This weekend I found out a family member couldn't BELIEVE we do this. “Does this mean they are making the kids get themselves ready. What about their breakfast???”

How dare we, making fully capable children dress themselves and eat. Surely, they shouldn't know how to make a bowl of cereal, frozen waffle or grab a hard boiled egg & fruit out of the fridge. Must be child neglect.

Another I've received is, “you really shouldn't get up so early to work out. You’re only going to crash hard by 2:00.”
Really?? Because I noticed crashing in the afternoon when I was lazy & full of sugar by noon. I’m finding I’m much more alert now that I’m burning calories while you’re sleeping. Laughable.

And lastly, “You’re going to hurt yourself in the long run, you need more sleep”.

Hmmm, I’m in bed most days by 9:00, this gives me 7 hours. Most adults need 7-9 hours to function properly. I’d say 7 is just fine.

So just laugh at those poor negative nellys & remember, they’re wishing they could do what you’re doing!

Replies

• pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Great reminder, thank you!

Out of curiosity how old are your kids? Mine are 7 and 3, I know it will be a really long time, but I'm looking forward to when I can go run before they wake up.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member

Out of curiosity how old are your kids? Mine are 7 and 3, I know it will be a really long time, but I'm looking forward to when I can go run before they wake up.

Good morning!

Mine are 17, 11, 9 & 7. As long as my 17 or 11 year old are home, I feel totally confident in leaving to work out.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    My youngest is now 17. We need to do what we must. I got some comments when they were younger also. I had to stop karate class because my MIL refused to watch them and my husband worked strange hours at the time. Now I wake up early, wake up my 17 year old and we hit the pavement together. Don't let them discourage you, keep moving.
  • JRadd14
    JRadd14 Posts: 206 Member
    I'm lucky that I haven't received too many negative comments (yet)... Lol...

Clearly those that are telling you you'll crash by 2pm or that you aren't getting enough sleep are saying these things b/c that's likely what they are telling themselves on why THEY don't get up early and workout. They are projecting their crappy excuses on to you.

Personally I would rather have 6-7 hours of great sleep (from eating well, not overdoing it, and working out), then to have 8-9 hours of poor sleep from sleep apnea, hard digestion, snoring, restlessness, etc.
  • jaxbeck
    I'm lucky that I haven't received too many negative comments (yet)... Lol...

Clearly those that are telling you you'll crash by 2pm or that you aren't getting enough sleep are saying these things b/c that's likely what they are telling themselves on why THEY don't get up early and workout. They are projecting their crappy excuses on to you.

Personally I would rather have 6-7 hours of great sleep (from eating well, not overdoing it, and working out), then to have 8-9 hours of poor sleep from sleep apnea, hard digestion, snoring, restlessness, etc.

Exactly! I actually had a NAP yesterday afternoon! This is something I haven't been able to do in years!
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Good for you in raising competent kids..not only are you better off THEY will be as well. Good grief I was cleaning the house and taking care of myself by the time I was ten...my mother was a single mom and EVERYBODY pitched in...
    I don't usually get negative comments so much as "disinterest" from friends and coworkers..."oh you are losing weight , that's nice"..LOL and they insist on bringing in goodies to share.. I have finally moved to another part of the building from my department and simply do not respond to "grazing" messages.
    I think what you are doing is great!
  • jaxbeck
    Good for you in raising competent kids..not only are you better off THEY will be as well. Good grief I was cleaning the house and taking care of myself by the time I was ten...my mother was a single mom and EVERYBODY pitched in...
    I don't usually get negative comments so much as "disinterest" from friends and coworkers..."oh you are losing weight , that's nice"..LOL and they insist on bringing in goodies to share.. I have finally moved to another part of the building from my department and simply do not respond to "grazing" messages.
    I think what you are doing is great!

Same here, what's funny is this comment was from a family member who was raised & also raised her kid to be the same as my mother did. I guess they tend to forget :huh:
  • jaxbeck
    My youngest is now 17. We need to do what we must. I got some comments when they were younger also. I had to stop karate class because my MIL refused to watch them and my husband worked strange hours at the time. Now I wake up early, wake up my 17 year old and we hit the pavement together. Don't let them discourage you, keep moving.

That's great! There's a mother/son team at our gym in the mornings....I love seeing them get fit together!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Very true.
  • AlwaysanOptimist
    AlwaysanOptimist Posts: 15 Member
    This is not a vent, more of a “You’re not alone” post. I see many posts about friends, coworkers, family making comments that seem to be more on the discouraging side. I’m sure we all get them. People who are not happy with the fact that they’re not doing anything about their health/weight so they feel the need to say something negative about you doing so. Just pity those folks, they are only harming themselves.

For instance, my husband & I get up at 4:00 to hit the gym. Our children are sleeping & normally don’t wake before we return around 6:15. They know where we are & are all old enough to get themselves some breakfast.

This weekend I found out a family member couldn't BELIEVE we do this. “Does this mean they are making the kids get themselves ready. What about their breakfast???”

How dare we, making fully capable children dress themselves and eat. Surely, they shouldn't know how to make a bowl of cereal, frozen waffle or grab a hard boiled egg & fruit out of the fridge. Must be child neglect.

Another I've received is, “you really shouldn't get up so early to work out. You’re only going to crash hard by 2:00.”
    Really?? Because I noticed crashing in the afternoon when I was lazy & full of sugar by noon. I’m finding I’m much more alert now that I’m burning calories while you’re sleeping. Laughable.

And lastly, “You’re going to hurt yourself in the long run, you need more sleep”.

Hmmm, I’m in bed most days by 9:00, this gives me 7 hours. Most adults need 7-9 hours to function properly. I’d say 7 is just fine.

So just laugh at those poor negative nellys & remember, they’re wishing they could do what you’re doing!

Negative nelly indeed! Soo many people are like that :laugh: Some don't seem to understand that everyone functions differently:smile: - for example when you said about your family member couldn't believe your gym routine.

My family are quite a nuisance when it comes to me trying to lose weight. My mum tries to force food that I don't want down my throat and my sister tells me that I don't need to lose weight and I'm fine the way I am (definitely not my opinion).:smile:
    I just try to ignore it and move along :happy: Luckily I live on my own now :laugh:
  • JuliaLee67
    JuliaLee67 Posts: 149
    i am sooooo not a morning person but i do understand people who are [either by choice or necessesity, lol], and i know from precious little experience that being at the gym super early can mean having the entire gym to oneself [which is amazing and wonderful]. as for the haters screaming 'child abuse' at you, i hope you smile when you tell them to stfu. 17, 11, 9 & 7-year-olds are not helpless babies and are fully capable of operating a toaster, lordy.
  • NakAttack
    NakAttack Posts: 64 Member
    LOVE this post because it is SO true and this post says a lot more than what you think!

First of all, parents SO often like to use our kids as a reason for us not to workout. They MUST be monitored at ALL times. This was not the case when I was growing up and do not see why it is the case now. Now, dont get me wrong..if they are not old enough to be home by themselves, then that is one thing, but if they are, then I say do what you have to do! The negative nellies should have been proud of your children for being obedient and not burning down the house so that mom and day can work out. Whatever happened to responsibility?!?!?

No matter what you do, SOMEONE is going to find fault with it. Do what works for you and your family and unless they are cutting checks to cover your mortgage and expenses, then they can keep their mounths shut!!!! And do not feel like you even have to justify their comments with a response. I would simply respond with, I am so sorry that you feel that way, and keep it moving!!!
  • mariabraceyrobinson
    mariabraceyrobinson Posts: 94 Member

Good morning!

Mine are 17, 11, 9 & 7. As long as my 17 or 11 year old are home, I feel totally confident in leaving to work out.

Well, they're nearly grown. What kind of mess?! I was thinking they were little, that's why they had a problem. Unless they have mental issues, even at 7 you can make cereal by yourself.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,988 Member
    Ignor the comments you r doing a great job arent we as parents suppose to teach our kids to be independent? So many people today think we should do everything for our kids until they r 30 good grief your oldest is almost 18.there will always be negative comments.good for u for teaching your i7ds to be resposible while you and your husband get fit and take care of yourselves so you can be around to help with the grandkids
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    What's the point of having teenagers if you can't leave your kids home alone?? (says the mom of a 7yo and 1yo)

I think it is a totally sensible situation. And yeah, some people do just like to discourage.
  • shanniepk
    shanniepk Posts: 98 Member
    My husband leaves for work at 4:30 and I leave for a bootcamp class about the same time. Class is close to home, my son has his phone and knows the days I won't be home by 5:30, and just sleeps right through it. Still makes me a little nervous (you start thinking about worse case scenarious like fires/intruders, etc.) but we've been doing this on and off since he turned 10. He'll be 11 soon. FL doesn't have an age minimum for staying home alone. A Sheriff lives across the street, so that makes me feel a little more secure. I still feel a little guilty, but it's worked out so far.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    You're exactly right. They hate that you have the will power to do what they want but aren't willing to put in the work and effort it takes to get there.

Pay them no mind....do your thing girl!
  • Yeah, people can really suck some times. Not all people are able to block out the sounds of the jealous haters but they have to realize that that is what it is. Plain simple jealousy.
  • jaxbeck

Good morning!

Well, they're nearly grown. What kind of mess?! I was thinking they were little, that's why they had a problem. Unless they have mental issues, even at 7 you can make cereal by yourself.

Exactly, 90% of the time, they aren't even up by the time we get home. Silly people
  • jaxbeck
    LOVE this post because it is SO true and this post says a lot more than what you think!

First of all, parents SO often like to use our kids as a reason for us not to workout. They MUST be monitored at ALL times. This was not the case when I was growing up and do not see why it is the case now. Now, dont get me wrong..if they are not old enough to be home by themselves, then that is one thing, but if they are, then I say do what you have to do! The negative nellies should have been proud of your children for being obedient and not burning down the house so that mom and day can work out. Whatever happened to responsibility?!?!?

No matter what you do, SOMEONE is going to find fault with it. Do what works for you and your family and unless they are cutting checks to cover your mortgage and expenses, then they can keep their mounths shut!!!! And do not feel like you even have to justify their comments with a response. I would simply respond with, I am so sorry that you feel that way, and keep it moving!!!

Amen! Someone is ALWAYS going to disagree with what you do. The point is to recognize the haters & move on! :drinker: