I feel worthless

Options
So I’ve felt ok about myself that is until my bf commented in my body and said I was getting too bulky. I’ve gained muscles

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Are you currently eating in a surplus and gaining weight ? Keep in mind if you are, you are gaining fat too which can add size/bulk. Once you cut down you will lose some of that. To add though.. the leaner you are the more muscles pop, some people may consider this bulky as well.

I don't really have advice about your boyfriend's view on your physique though. Sometimes we are attracted to what we are attracted to, however doing what you want to do and feeling good about yourself is important too.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Congrats on the muscles .... ah seriously MFP app I write a page of stuff and you cut it out and leave me with 4 words ????? ... this app was coded by kittens
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    What matters is how you feel about yourself. As with your boyfriend's comment, there's a difference between feeling bad and feeling worthless. The former is understandable, the latter is a bit more concerning. You should feel a sense of worth no matter your body type. Be proud of the hard work you have done so far.
  • vartua
    vartua Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The only person that should feel worthless is him for making those comments. And you should be feeling good about yourself, especially said you are ok with gaining muscle - so don't make anyone make you feel worthless. No one should have that type of power and control over how you feel about yourself.
  • SnakeCharmer13
    SnakeCharmer13 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Sweetheart, you are NOT worthless. It sounds like exactly something my husband would say. Ignore it. Do YOU like how your body is turning out? Because that's all that matters. I'm sorry he said that. My husband is the King of jerk comments. Message me if you want to talk.
  • SnakeCharmer13
    SnakeCharmer13 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Your other thread I read said you were maintaining weight but having a small issue with binging. Since you state you have been gaining muscle, this is a good thing if its inline with your goals. I presume recomp is your goal, not a surplus?

Does your boy friend not understand your overall goal? Maybe he doesn't understand the process? I have a glimmer of hope that he may have said this as compliment and not meant to be negative.

To think that your boy friend actually made you feel worthless when you say you actually feel okay is disheartening. I don't have any advice other than to say to ask him what he meant. Don't let others have the power to make to you feel a certain way.

Don't let others have the power to make you feel a certain way....love it! I'm learning this with my husband.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Looking at some of your other posts since February I think it may be helpful for you to talk to a professional about your feelings. You seem to really struggle with how you feel about yourself or dealing with emotions healthily.

Your value as a human being is not your appearance. If you felt good about yourself don't let someone else take that away with a dumb comment.
    If you have been strength training isn't getting stronger or adding muscle the goal? Have your body measurements really changed that much?
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that. Perhaps he is just jealous. As long as you feel good about yourself. F*** him.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    If you are happy with how you look that is all that matters, some men cannot handle that.
  • fjpatten
    fjpatten Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Your boyfriend is garbage. Use your gains to throw in him into a dumpster.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. I know how those comments can feel.

Maybe you should let him know it was a downer for you...explain your goals and the process and why it's important to you.