It may be Sunday but it's not my day to rest

Options
Something many people run into (maybe not so much on here because you're all incredible) is resting on Sunday, or maybe using it as an excuse to indulge a bit more...Don't fall into this trap! In order to succeed, at least for me, is to be disciplined everyday. There is no day where rest is the most important part unless I NEED it.

My workout today was 400 kettlebell swings, 8 sets. 15 one handed swings into 20 Russian style swings, and then maxing out push-ups.

You can accomplish your goals - but create your own standards. I hope you all have an amazing FITday!

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    Sunday is long run day for me, so definitely not a rest day. I do usually indulge after my long runs though.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    As a good Christian I follow Gods commands
    And rest on the sabbath
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Started lifting heavy stuff at the gym at 6 a.m. Just finished 1.5 hours of chainsaw work and tree removal. Everyone has a schedule and many like to use Sunday as their day of rest. I rest when my body tells me it needs a break.
  • UntilProud
    UntilProud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Oh, I believe in rest days - I just think that people use Sunday as an excuse to rest! It's the lazy day, and as Watts6151 it's the day of the sabbath. However, for those of us who are heavily influenced by our friends or our community, it's important to stay strong and endure on a day where everyone else rests. Like I said, I rest when my body tells me I need it (and I've learned to listen to it years ago), I'm just not a person who uses a single day as an excuse to rest and indulge was all I was stating!

Dougii, Good to hear about your dedication! Keep up the great work man!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Two hours on the turbo trainer for me.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    I’m really conflicted about this message.

It’s not wrong, but misguided. I can rest on Sunday and also accomplish my goals. Such a weird message. You can replace Sunday with any other day of the week, and then you notice how weird the message sounds.

I guess it's the cultural relic of christian domination of society.

Have to say that Sunday is normal marathon day for most of my races.
  • UntilProud
    Options

It’s not wrong, but misguided. I can rest on Sunday and also accomplish my goals. Such a weird message. You can replace Sunday with any other day of the week, and then you notice how weird the message sounds.

It's a society thing, we're brought up to work a week, live it up on saturday, and then relax sunday. I ABSOLUTELY believe in rest days, but I don't believe in being unmotivated because of a social norm.

I'm just excited to be motivated no matter the day of the week...that's the point I'm trying to make...No excuses no matter the day.

Keep on hitting your goals!
  • UntilProud
    Options

"Normal Marathon Day" lol...you kill me! Keep it up!
  • UntilProud
    Options
    jojo6mfp wrote: »
    What is a rest day?

That's the SPIRIT! Keep up the great work!
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    UntilProud wrote: »

I've got six marathons and four ultras this season
  • UntilProud
    Options
    UntilProud wrote: »

I've got six marathons and four ultras this season

I have no idea what that kind of fitness commitment is like, but I'm excited to strive for your work ethic! I might not be there now but I've got a lot of heart to get as close as I can every day!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Eh - well first Sunday isn't my rest day, in terms of religion, to begin with (it's not the day of the sabbath so much as it's the day of your sabbath - shabbat for me is Saturday).

Second, I do take rest days, though what I consider a rest day doesn't appear to be what you consider a rest day, or at least what you appear to think other people consider a rest day. For me it means doing my home PT exercises if I'm not especially unmotivated or busy (they should be an everyday thing) and then not cycling or going to the gym. I normally have two of those days a week. Normally those are on Saturday and Sunday but this week it was just Saturday. I bike inside Mon/Wed/Fri and do gym PT exercises Tues/Thurs. Come May there will be at least one ride outside a week assuming I don't hurt myself in such a way to nessistate me not biking outside - again.

Note, last Summer I was easily able to more or less unintentionally "train" for a 100k ride while only doing 2-3 rides a week. I wasn't intending to do a metric century so much as I did a 50 mile ride and then realized it would be nothing to just go ahead and do a metric. I didn't do any weight training nor was I paying attention to my nutrition requirements off the bike, just steadily increasing my mileage. I have a century ride (100 mi) in late June that I'm actually training for, but it's not as exciting/"I'm going to use caps lock!"/look at me go! as it sounds.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    As mentioned previously, Sundays are usually race days. I usually (when not racing) take a day of rest on Sunday because I have a lot of other commitments, but once this everlasting winter is finally over the famjam and I will walk to some of those weekly things we do on Sundays.