Water - How important to weight loss...REALLY?

Options
13»

Replies

• 32sami
    32sami Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Water does not burn fat, but you still need to be hydrated. :)
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I think it is extremely important. Most everyone has stated that in different ways. Your body is mostly made up of water. It needs to replenish constantly. Sometimes thirst can be mistaken for hunger. You just have to suck it up and drink more. I would be concerned with the previous medical issues due to not drinking enough water. That was your body telling you hey I am thirsty dude. There are ways to get it down more: like adding lemons or limes or even cucumbers to it. Crystal light may have fake sugars but at least you drink more with it. Limit your pop and other stuff and reach for more water. Your body will thank you for it. It also helps when you are losing such a big amount for your skin's elasticity. THis is what prevents sagginess and stretch marks. Yes guys get that too. Your skin will get a nice glow too.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Well, I have read that if the body is even slightly dehydrated, metabolism will slow down.
  • _hillary_
    _hillary_ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If drinking water correlates to weight loss, it's because your body stops holding onto extra water in case it needs it. I have noticed that if I don't drink enough water, I start to get a puffy face and double chin - obviously that corresponds to extra ounces of weight (and even pounds, maybe - since you retain water all over your body). If I really push the water for a couple of days, the puffiness goes away and I weigh a little less. But I think it's too extreme to say that drinking a lot of water is necessary for weight loss!
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Seconding the person who was talking about confusing hunger and thirst. Sometimes I think I'm hungry, but if I have a glass of water before a snack, I find out that I was indeed just thirsty.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Some articles on the importance of water in the diet. There are plenty more on Google of course.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jenheath4.htm
    http://www.cohens.com.au/news_media/weight_loss_articles/water_is_so_important

Basically water is necessary to keep the kidneys working to flush out toxins etc from the body. If the kidneys aren't getting enough water, they can't do their job and the liver has to take up the slack to help out. The liver's main function is to metabolise stored fat (leading to weight loss). If the liver is over worked doing the kidney's job it can't metabolise fat as efficiently which leads to weight loss slowing down or stopping.

But the fact is, you need water to survive especially in hot climates. I work in the Pilbara. Temperature today will get to 47 - 50 degrees celcius in the sun with close to 80% humidity. We drink around 7 - 10 litres of water a day here and still don't pee all that often because we sweat it out pretty quickly.