Chocolate

Options
allyssasmommy8
allyssasmommy8 Posts: 12 Member
edited April 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I just started my journey to being healthy and I’m a huge chocoholic especially after a hysterectomy. What are some good alternatives that aren’t carb heavy and good for a low cholesterol diet. I haven’t tried to touch it because I don’t want to loose control of the control I have now

Replies

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I satisfy my chocolate craving by adding unsweetened cocoa powder to yogurt, mashed bananas, whey-based smoothies. 15g is 3 TBSP and 30 calories.
  • JayneNoor
    JayneNoor Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Cacao nibs are great. Nice chocolate hit and they take a lot of chewing.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I think the key is learning to savor it in small amounts. I love raisinets, especially dark (which helps a little). I weight them out - 10 grams is 40 calories (actually this is from the chocolate covered raisins I am eating now, which aren't actually raisinets) and about 10 pieces. I eat them one at a time. i have fun size candy bars in my desk at work and I have one, maybe two a day (I am in maintenance now, so I have a little more wiggle room), but not every day. I put 6 soft Chips Ahoy cookies in a sandwich bag a few weeks ago because the kids made the rest disappear in a day. I still have 3 left.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    A cup of hot chocolate
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comment: I know it's coming so I don't feel deprived. If you add in maybe a square or two of dark chocolate after dinner it might help? Also love the idea of adding cocoa powder to low fat yoghurt.
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have two squares of Lindt 90% cocoa supreme dark chocolate most nights (116 calories and 2.5g in the two squares). It's quite bitter but has a nice feel in the mouth. As for the bitterness, well I've become accustomed to it and now milk chocolate tastes sickly sweet to me
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    The forum won't let me edit (403 Forbidden). 2.5g should be 2.5g of carbs (1.3g of which are sugars)
  • MushroomLadyJR
    MushroomLadyJR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I just satisfied my chocolate craving with 2 chocolate rice cakes, 81 calories. Otherwise I just have a hot chocolate (options 40 Cal if at home or from the machine at work, 60 Cal's).
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,515 Member
    Options
    Buy artisan chocolate. Not something like Lindt, but really expensive chocolate, and only eat one piece a day because it's so expensive.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    100% baker's chocolate is very low carb; it's not for everyone though taste wise - can be very strong and a tad bitter
    Various cacao powders are also similar (just always read the label) as others have mentioned
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate. Most afternoons I enjoy a cup of Stash Chocolate Mint tea. I add a couple shakes of cocoa powder and a splash of half and half. 40 calories and delicious. I also have a square or 2 of Endangered Species 88% dark chocolate per day. 28 calories each.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    One square of Ghirardelli chocolate is about 50-80 calories depending on which flavor you buy. They’re individually wrapped, so it’s easier to get one out and put the rest away.
  • quebot
    quebot Posts: 99 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I'm not a chocolate fanatic. But I do love treats. I'll find spending extra on something "nice" helps me savor it. I also miderate my groceries. I'm celiac and three things I miss are donuts, buscuits with gravy, and muffins. I grocery shop weekly and give myself a weekly budget of calories for treats and will buy myself something nice every week. I'll find some gluten free donuts (that actually taste good) or muffins or something. Just like money, I don't want to ruin my calorie budget all in one day, so I'm pretty good at stretching it out over the week. I treat myself at the end of the day when I have calories left to fill. And I don't scarf it down. I take my time and enjoy every bite. I hate the gluten free diet, so it's nice to enjoy food occasionally.

I'm not super fit or a mfp expert, but this plan is working. I still enjoy my treats, and I stay in my calorie budget. I'm still losing weight, so it's working!
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Pudding or Fudgecicles
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I also love chocolate, so I make room in my allowance for an options low cal hot choc, made with milk, so I don’t feel like I’m depriving myself.