Finally joining the boards looking for support

BACK STORY
(deep breath)
All during my childhood and growning up my parents were overweight. I never seemed to pay attention to what I ate and I remained at a normal size well into my 30's. Needless to say middle age and the decline of metalobism started to slowly take it's toll. My job is pretty stationary and the wacky schedule makes fast food an "easy fix" for being on the run. During my mid 40's I spent some time on the South Beach Diet which shed some pounds plus gave me some well-needed energy. I found I was spending every waking moment buying, preping, and eating food and I slowly drifted away from it. When I hit 50 I found that my XL t-shirt size that I had been able to maintain the last decade in were strating to become tighter. I'll be 54 in October and last year had to break down and get a 2X t-shirt and it embarased me to no end (not unlike this story). My dress shirts are in the 2X-3X zone and although I'm not a big eater by any means my body seems to have given up completely. My new work location is an hour away and that is not only another 2 hours a day sitting but time where fast food and snacking is a great temptation even when not hungry. Last year was the first year I had difficulties keeping up with the my friends in my theme park visits and I need to try to re-coup some of my former stamina. The age alone should not be a factor and I feel if I can reverse some of this weight it will help me back to a reasonable weight.

My only excercise is my weekly theme park trips and with me pusing 300 pounds *sigh* and being diagnosed with atrhritis in my knee my concentration at this stage in the game is going to be diet. Hopefully when I get some decent weight off it will help me to be more mobile to up my excercise. I've been logging my progress here for 2 months and the act of being accountable for everything I eat seems to speak to the "A" personality in me. When I started MyFitnesspal I was wearing a 54 inch waist pair of pants and yesterday I bought a 50 inch. I've done pretty good at keeping on track but feel I need to fully utilize this site and the boards/friends aspect to help keep me on the right track.

Feel free to add me and we can help each other on the road to skinny

Replies

• scottberrydsm
    scottberrydsm Posts: 74 Member
    I hear ya and I know it can be done. I've struggled back and forth and back and forth, and finally over the last week or so I am again making some progress. This system works, just as EVERY system works, if we just work it. What's different about MFP is the supportive community - if I take advantage of it, then it helps me. If I don't, then it doesn't. Please feel free to add me.
  • murdledoe
    murdledoe Posts: 98 Member
    Your more then welcomed to add me to your support team. With a good support group you can do this and achieve your goals.