Macro help

Options
I'm trying to find the best way to determine my macro break down and how to weigh my food. Should I weigh my food in grams or onces? Looking to lean out and maintain muscle.

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    grams vs oz... whatever is easier for you. Weight is weight.

Macro breakdowns... there is no 1 optimal breakdown. Let your goals and preferences dictate them. Keep protein fairly high and get a reasonable amount of fats and carbs. "fairly high" and "reasonable" are somewhat subjective.
    Beyond that, you can kinda do whatever you want.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Check out the macro calculators at Macro Inc or IIFYM. They're pretty decent. They say weighing food in grams is better. I personally do both but I'm not a hard core macro counter anymore. I just make sure I hit my protein and let the others fall where they will while eating at my calorie goal.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to find the best way to determine my macro break down and how to weigh my food. Should I weigh my food in grams or onces? Looking to lean out and maintain muscle.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,163 Member
    Options

On some digital scales, grams gives more granular values, thus more precise weights. For example, my scale displays whole grams, or ounces and eighths. Since there are roughly 28 grams to an ounce, but only eight eighths ( ;) ) in an ounce, I can be a little more precise by using grams.