Endomondo & Calorie Adjustment

Options
leebrayshaw
leebrayshaw Posts: 10 Member
Hi all, I've recently started using a Samsung Gear Fit 2. It's tied in with Endomondo, Samsung Health and MyFitnessPal. It's really useful, but I'm finding my calories burned from exercise is effectively being doubled...

My steps are counted on the Gear Fit, which updates Samsung Health. This automatically updates MFP to make adjustments to my available calories.
When I run, I use Endomondo, and this is automatically added to Samsung Health and in turn MFP.

Yesterday I ran 40 minutes, burning 572 calories (Endomondo).
An adjustment of 640 calories was made through steps, but this will include my run too.
Total was 1212 calories, which is clearly inaccurate.

What should I do to ensure I'm not getting double readings? Is it better to exclude Endomondo from MFP and stick with the step adjustment? Or would you get rid of the step adjustment and stick with Endomondo?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    If your exercise is at the same time it shouldn't be double counting steps, however there are often glitches with 3rd part apps.

I would probably just disconnect Endomondo from Samsung Health, as presumably your Samsung Gear Fit already tracks your runs in Samsung Health. That way everything should still sync through to MFP but you shouldn't get the double dipping?
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I've recently started using a Samsung Gear Fit 2. It's tied in with Endomondo, Samsung Health and MyFitnessPal. It's really useful, but I'm finding my calories burned from exercise is effectively being doubled...

My steps are counted on the Gear Fit, which updates Samsung Health. This automatically updates MFP to make adjustments to my available calories.
    When I run, I use Endomondo, and this is automatically added to Samsung Health and in turn MFP.

Yesterday I ran 40 minutes, burning 572 calories (Endomondo).
    An adjustment of 640 calories was made through steps, but this will include my run too.
    Total was 1212 calories, which is clearly inaccurate.

What should I do to ensure I'm not getting double readings? Is it better to exclude Endomondo from MFP and stick with the step adjustment? Or would you get rid of the step adjustment and stick with Endomondo?

Yeah I have Gear S3. And I have noticed the double dip as well. You can disconnect you're Endomondo from S Health and MFP. That way you get an accurate step count from S health This is how I have it set right now but I usually just walk and not run. This way I can still map my walks without affecting my step count. I'm not sure if that is best for you, if you are a runner. you could set your activity level to lightly active or active, turn off steps in MFP, ignore your step count and just include your run and exercise calories in MFP.
  • leebrayshaw
    Options
    Thanks both for your help. I see there's an issue with negative calorie adjustment from steps at the minute too, so will likely turn off steps and up the activity level.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Check out the Known Issues on the Help section for updates.
  • jhkebea
    jhkebea Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi I was just looking for some insight into Endomondo. I have been using mapmyrun with my Apple watch pretty affectively but saw Endomondo also have a watch app. Just wondering if you had any experience with mapmyrun and know if one works better over the other. I also sync with myfitnesspal with Apple Health but it's been delayed or missing workouts and not adding them to my account. Thanks in advance. - Jared
  • leebrayshaw
    Options
    Hi Jared. Unfortunately I've got no experience with using MapMyRun. I can only presume they're very similar, just restricted to running as opposed to a wide range of workouts like Endomondo. If you're just running, maybe stick with MapMyRun?

My workouts now sync directly with MFP rather than Samsung Health, and I'm finding they are delayed by nearly 12 hours. It's no real issue for me but is slightly annoying!