Forgot to weigh meat before I cooked.

Options
jefamer2017
jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
edited April 2018 in Food and Nutrition
Sometimes I forget to weigh meat before I cook it. I add back in 25% to the cooked weight. Should that be accurate enough for calorie counting purposes?

Replies

• andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I would probably search for the cooked meat in the app.
    31shines wrote: »
    I never weigh my food before I cook it. I'm still losing. I have wondered if I'm doing it wrong but I'm 23 pounds down so who knows

It doesn't matter how you do it as long as you are consistent really ;)
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I've never done a before/after comparison, and I'm sure it varies depending on the cooking method, but I've heard that 25% is about average for weight lost while cooking. That should be close enough, unless maybe you're working on those last stubborn few lbs. and need to be really tight on your tracking.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I weigh my meats raw just so i'm not missing out on anything. it's all estimates in the end.
  • valentinagyorfi874
    valentinagyorfi874 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Doesn’t matter if! Just make sure you specify cooked chicken vs raw when you’re weighing it for it to be accurate ☺️
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I have forgotten at times, and just put what was on the package. It's not a perfect method, but if you're still reaching your goals, then it should be fine
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    depending on the cooking method, there are some database entries that used the prepared weight instead of raw. If it's something you prepare regularly it might be worth doing a before/after investigation for your own use. I did that with scrambled eggs for post-cooking portioning purposes. FWIW four Jumbo eggs from Meijer runs 240g, no milk/oil/butter added.