Fat burners, Hydroxycut, etc.... Any positive or negative thoughts on these?

Options
I simply can't tell if these are making any difference in my life. They're expensive. They don't seem to help. But maybe I'm missing something. Thoughts?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    scam
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Only negative thoughts from me on them :blush:
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    djkm0305 wrote: »
    I started using a product called Shred Jym. For a product that only has only like 6 ingredients, it's pretty effective. I lost 7% body fat in about a month. It's gotta be paired with diet and exercise for sure.

It's legit. Because I was working out for a month before, and didn't see much of a change. Then I used Shred Jym and it's worked out so far. Depends on the person. There's a lot of skeptics out there but it's what you make it. No ephedrine, just caffiene- really more for focus not a buzz.

nope - it contains Synephrine which is a synthetic version of ephedrine.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I started using a product called Shred Jym. For a product that only has only like 6 ingredients, it's pretty effective. I lost 7% body fat in about a month. It's gotta be paired with diet and exercise for sure.

It's legit. Because I was working out for a month before, and didn't see much of a change. Then I used Shred Jym and it's worked out so far. Depends on the person. There's a lot of skeptics out there but it's what you make it. No ephedrine, just caffiene- really more for focus not a buzz.

It's not legit. The bolded is why any of it actually works. Take away the pill but keep the diet and exercise you'll likely get the same results.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

As has been reiterated numerous times on this forum, weight loss isn't linear. You may well go for a month without seeing significant results, and then have them suddenly catch up to you. It's a very common experience, even without a scam supplement.

Yes, we can assume your pills have no ephedrine. If they did, they'd be illegal. It's been banned as a supplement outside of herbal use in TCM since 2006.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Note: Ephedrine + gauifenisen (BRONKAID, PRIMATENE tablets) are legal with valid form of govt ID in MOST US states without an Rx
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Save your money, and buy healthy food, track calories, drink lots of water, and get plenty of sleep. All these " quick fixes" are temporary. Trust me- I did a ton of them before I got smart about weight loss.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    I tried hydroxycut for awhile at one point. All it did was suck a bunch of money out of my wallet. Counting calories, weighing my food, and sticking to my food budget and exercise plan - that works every time.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The only difference they're making is in your bank account.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Note: Ephedrine + gauifenisen (BRONKAID, PRIMATENE tablets) are legal with valid form of govt ID in MOST US states without an Rx

Yes, as an asthma treatment, not as a dietary supplement.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    lillyy23 wrote: »
    I take Lcarnitine and it naturally produces in the human body and when you take more of it. It increases fat burning. So it's a natural fat burner which uses stored fat for energy. I took it last year and lost 10 pounds for one month. And then I stopped working out and stuff but ya it works. I'm taking it again!

Not so much, according to the actual scientific evidence: https://examine.com/supplements/l-carnitine/
    ...Theoretically, ALCAR supplementation for fat burning should work well, but studies on ALCAR in isolation do not show very good results. Fat loss is typically attributed to the increased activity done by people, from the increased energy they have from ALCAR supplementation...

...There appears to be a fat reducing effect of L-Carnitine supplementation, but this may be limited to elderly persons; limited studies in otherwise healthy youth and adults fail to note an effect...