Body fat percentage?

Hi all - I recently took some measurements and input them to a website I found on here somewhere (sorry computer froze and I lost it!) - my estimated body fat percentage is 29% which is on the 'large' side for an average non-athletic woman from what I can tell.

I am nearly 40 and 169.5cm (5'6") and weigh 66kg. I have a very slight build for that height.

I've always been wary of BMI measures because of my small frame. I am currently on about a BMI of 23ish but still have inches of fat I can pinch on my belly and thighs. I mean multiple inches in the one place. So I did the body fat measurement as a guide to how much more I should lose in terms of medical/health measures. I know how much I want to lose (6.5kg) but I was after a more scientific measure.

Just wondered if anyone else was in the same boat (ie small frame, still 'fat' but 'healthy' BMI) and how you viewed it? Or any other comments/advice?

Thanks all

Replies

• ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited April 2018
    I would only suggest that you not put too much stock in an online bf% estimator based (I assume) on BMI and wrist measurements and so on. Even the best attempts to directly measure body fat are approximate and have significant error windows, and an online estimator will be the worst. If you're really worried about it, find a place that can give you a hydrostatic weighing or DEXA scan and get a less inexact number.

DEXA is the more expensive of the two, but at least where I live you can often find a Groupon that can save you about half the cost.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    29% body fat for your stats sounds high. Online body fat calculators are not reliable sources for determining body fat; you can enter your stats in 2-3 different ones and get different results.

Are you doing any strength training? By not doing any muscle sparing during our weight loss, we can become undermuscled and over fat because we lose body fat and muscle. You should be maintaining/minimizing muscle loss.

I would do a small deficit, strength train and assure you consume ample protein in your diet to support fat loss and strength training.
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    29% body fat for your stats sounds high. Online body fat calculators are not reliable sources for determining body fat; you can enter your stats in 2-3 different ones and get different results.

Are you doing any strength training? By not doing any muscle sparing during our weight loss, we can become undermuscled and over fat because we lose body fat and muscle. You should be maintaining/minimizing muscle loss.

I would do a small deficit, strength train and assure you consume ample protein in your diet to support fat loss and strength training.

Thanks for that - yeah I thought it was high - I do a little strength training - HIIT once a week and 30 pushups and at least 60 squats a day. Not much really but better than none. I'm returning to my home country in June where I can more easily access 3 classes a week - hoping for Les Mills Body Pump or similar. Walks on alternate days or elliptical. That's the plan anyway!