Skinny fat

Options
Should skinny fat people cut first or bulk?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What are your stats ? Do you know your approximate bodyfat %?

For the most part I would recommend recomping.. so eating at maintenance and following a progressive lifting program in order to change your body composition over time.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Depending on your stats you can cut a bit.. (provided you are not bordering on underweight of course) with the intention of bulking after.

I would bulk if you are close to underweight or fairly lean with lack of muscle.
  • OnalimOjag
    OnalimOjag Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    What are your stats ? Do you know your approximate bodyfat %?

For the most part I would recommend recomping.. so eating at maintenance and following a progressive lifting program in order to change your body composition over time.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Depending on your stats you can cut a bit.. (provided you are not bordering on underweight of course) with the intention of bulking after.

I would bulk if you are close to underweight or fairly lean with lack of muscle.

I’ve been cutting for approximately 2 months now. I was 165 when I started and down to 154lbs right now. I’d like to cut until around 12-14% bf then start a slow bulk. Here is a photo of me. 20qimsret5cw.jpeg
  • sardelsa
    Options
    How tall are you? I would continue cutting based on your photos. Recomp would probably be a bit too slow based on your bodyfat %. Then when you are closer to goal you can reassess. Make sure you are getting adequate protein (0.8-1g per lb goal weight) and following a lifting program for best results to retain as much muscle as possible.
  • OnalimOjag
    Options
    I’m 5’6. I’m on a high protein/low carb diet. Around 160-190g of protein per day and then carbs play at around 60-100g of carbs per day. I eat at 1750-1800 calories per day. Are my calculations correct? I’m 18 years old.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Is that the calorie intake that MFP gave you or did you use a calorie calculator? How many lbs a week are you losing? I don't know where that leaves your fats but make sure you are getting a minimum of at least 0.35g per lb
  • OnalimOjag
    Options
    Yup it’s what MFP gave me but I have my lbs per goal hefe in MFP at 1lbs but I think I’m losing pretty fast because from March 23, I was 158.8lbs. Now, I’m at 154. I don’t know if thats fat or it includes water weight.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that it largely depends on what your programming is and where you are in your progression. But based on the pictures, a slow cut or recomp is probably what you should start with.

If you're already 3-6 months into a program, keep cutting, if you're less than 3 months into a beginner program, take a 3 month maintenance break.
  • OnalimOjag
    Options
    OnalimOjag wrote: »
    Yup it’s what MFP gave me but I have my lbs per goal hefe in MFP at 1lbs but I think I’m losing pretty fast because from March 23, I was 158.8lbs. Now, I’m at 154. I don’t know if thats fat or it includes water weight.

Just checked my weight when it I woke up and I’m down to 152.5 Is this fluctuation, water weight, or should i just increase my calorie intake to 1900-2000 ,alories and see what happens from there?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Low carb is going to have you drop water weight so I would watch for a 4 week trend in what your weight is doing.

Your best results for bulking are going to be reducing current body fat percentage. I would recomp with a small deficit.
  • OnalimOjag
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Low carb is going to have you drop water weight so I would watch for a 4 week trend in what your weight is doing.

Your best results for bulking are going to be reducing current body fat percentage. I would recomp with a small deficit.

Thanks for the advice! I’ll just continue cutting as I’m feeling good. My pants feel better and my dress shirt looks better on me now. I’ll immedietly start a slow bulk when my abs are already showing.