Low Carb question

Options
I was following low carb (25 to 35 carbs per day). I fell off the wagon when my mom passed away a few weeks ago. I'm trying to get back on track. I feel that 25 to 35 carbs is too low for me and I will end up cheating and then feeling like a failure. What do you all consider low carb? I was thinking of setting my daily carbs to 50 to 75. Does that sound reasonable? I mean if I want a sandwich and I eat 2 pcs of lower carb bread I want to feel like that's ok, instead of saying no bread, etc. I will still eat better and limit the higher carb foods. I just feel like I would be more successful this way. Does anyone else allow a few more carbs and still see weight loss? I'm sure I would still lose but maybe not as fast as if I was sticking closer to 25 carbs per day but compared to what I used to eat before low carb this would be great....lol....i was averaging 200 to 300 carbs per day before I started watching my carb intake. So just wanted to get some thoughts and insights from others as to what has or hasn't worked for you. Thanks so much!!

Replies

• SouthernMamaUnderConsruction
    Options
    So sorry about your mom !
    I do the Atkins diet. The intro phase is 20 carbs. But you can always start with what you feel is right for you and adjust as you see fit.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Losing mums is tough... It will be the 10 years since I lost my mum, and sometimes it seems like it doesn't get easier.

Eating carbs is not failing. Eating food you enjoy isn't failing. I'd honestly recommend just trying to stick to your calorie goal, and let the carbs fall as they do. Some days can be higher, others lower... There is no "best" or "right" amount. Personally, I focus on getting sufficient protein and fat.

Doing low carb may initially make your weight loss appear faster, but that's because your body gets rid of a lot of water. When you eat more carbs, your body holds on to more water. Fat loss is not different whether your eat higher or lower carb though, if you're sticking to your calorie goal.
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry about your mom <3

Honestly, you can choose whichever amount of carb you want, as long as you keep your protein and calories at their goal. If you prefer more carbs (I do too!), then set your number higher. Set the carbs to what you feel like you can follow, and then adjust the fats down a bit to make the calories right.

There has been shown no benefits to low-carb diets over high-carb for weight loss, so why put yourself in a booth where you will feel like a failure and be miserable? Do what you can adhere to, and the results will follow as long as calories and protein are accounted for.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    sorry for your loss xx

I follow a lower carb regime. Your carb tolerance will be different to mine. Also, it depends if you are trying to lose a lot, lose a little, or maintain. My carbs tend to come from vegetables rather than grains or starches, although I allow myself a little of those. The main thing is, whatever eating style you go for, you pick something that is sustainable and enjoyable for you. It's pointless aiming for something that makes you feel unhappy and highly likely to fail.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your mum :(

Generally, Keto is anything less than 50g, 50-100g very low carb, 100-150g low carb.
    Some poeple have been known to be in Ketosis up to 70g, so it varies from body to body. If you are stuggling I would start with 70-100g (or higher if you want) and then you can go lower as you get into the swing of it.
  • agrube1968
    agrube1968 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Sorry you lost your Mom.

Low carb is generally considered to be under 100 grams per day.

Weight loss is about calories, not carbs. I lost ~140 pounds and am maintaining a healthy weight eating ~50% of my calories from carbs.

How long did it take you to lose the 140 lbs that you lost?
  • loe_loe23
    loe_loe23 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I went low carb (about the same as you, 25g of carbs) and it was ROUGH. I felt the cravings were more intense and I found myself cheating way worse than ever. What I do now is I still aim for a lower amount (around 40-60g of carbs) but I make sure they are COMPLEX Carbohydrates. Meaning- sweet potatoes, whole-grain wheat bread/pasta, steel cut oatmeal.. etc. I found it's way easier on my mind to eat "good" carbs verses trying to kick them out totally. If you need ideas of what to eat, there are some great articles on the internet that go in depth of what kinds of carbs you can eat that are friendly for weight loss (:
  • agrube1968
    Options
    loe_loe23 wrote: »
    I went low carb (about the same as you, 25g of carbs) and it was ROUGH. I felt the cravings were more intense and I found myself cheating way worse than ever. What I do now is I still aim for a lower amount (around 40-60g of carbs) but I make sure they are COMPLEX Carbohydrates. Meaning- sweet potatoes, whole-grain wheat bread/pasta, steel cut oatmeal.. etc. I found it's way easier on my mind to eat "good" carbs verses trying to kick them out totally. If you need ideas of what to eat, there are some great articles on the internet that go in depth of what kinds of carbs you can eat that are friendly for weight loss (:

That's what I am going to try this time around is choose healthier carbs; wheat bread, etc. Or if I eat something that is higher carb I will eat a smaller amount. It's so hard cooking for my husband and son and not being able to eat mashed potatoes or corn or whatever; but I figure if I make it and I want some to just have a spoonful of each and that wont be as bad and I wont feel like I am over doing it plus I will be satisfied and not feel like I am deprieving myself.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Low carb isn't necessary for weight loss. If it helps you hit your calorie goal, that's great. If it makes it hard for you to stay on plan, that's bad. Calories determine weight loss, macros are for satiety.

I eat @ 200g of carbs daily, but I really don't pay attention to the number. I just make sure I get enough protein, fiber, and fat. That's how I lost the weight, and that's how I've been maintaining. Carbs fill me up, so that's how I roll. Other people find carbs make them hungry, so low carb is a better choice for them.

Do what works best for you - the key is figuring out a way of eating that keeps you happy and at the right calorie level for the rest of your life, so you don't have to worry about being motivated or staying on the wagon anymore.

I'm so sorry for your loss, hang in there!
  • Scott555
    Scott555 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Very sorry for your loss.
    I started a low carb regimen a few weeks ago and so far the weight is coming off steadily. I hear what you’re saying about the cravings and one thing that has helped me is glutamine powder. While it apparently has lots of other health benefits I was mostly interested in its ability to lessen sugar and alcohol cravings (lots a carbs in that beer I love). Anyway, I did some research and now I mix about 1.5tsp into a glass of water before lunch and again before dinner. It doesn’t taste like anything so no worries there but so far I haven’t had a drink in 7 weeks and sweets aren’t even an issue.
    This has really helped keep me on track with the carbs and I have so far been able to keep to under 20g per day (mostly coming from leafy vegetables).
    I’m in my late 40s so dieting isn’t exactly my favorite thing but breaking the sugar addiction (in all its forms) is definitely worth doing. The glutamine just takes the edge off.

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    agrube1968 wrote: »
    Sorry you lost your Mom.

Weight loss is about calories, not carbs. I lost ~140 pounds and am maintaining a healthy weight eating ~50% of my calories from carbs.

Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. Pounds per week wasn't something to which I paid any attention. Much more important was to craft a comfortable way of eating that left me at a calorie deficit so that I would lose weight over time rather than looking at day-to-day or even week-to-week weight except as data points. As long as I was on an overall downward trend, I was doing what I needed to do. When I reached goal, I stayed with my way of eating that I'd customized and just increased my calories a bit.

Looking back through my data, I can see that I started at the end of Feb 2015 at 285 pounds, weighed 214 in Dec 2015, 161 in Dec 2016, 141 in Dec 2017, and that's about where I'm maintaining.

I suggest that you start by logging how you normally eat for a couple of weeks to collect some data. You can then see where you might reduce your portions and/or make satisfying substitutions.
  • agrube1968
    Options
    I am finding so far that increasing my carb intake is helping me not be as hungry and not feel as deprived. So far today I've had a good day so hoping the rest of the day goes just as good. Just wondering for those that are watching your protein, fiber and fat what is the amount of grams of those you should be having per day? Does it vary by person or what? Thanks for the help!
  • agrube1968
    Options
    Sorry you lost your Mom.

Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. Pounds per week wasn't something to which I paid any attention. Much more important was to craft a comfortable way of eating that left me at a calorie deficit so that I would lose weight over time rather than looking at day-to-day or even week-to-week weight. As long as I was on an overall downward trend, I was doing what I needed to do. When I reached goal, I stayed with my way of eating that I'd customized and just increased my calories a bit.

Looking back through my data, I can see that I started at the end of Feb 2015 at 285 pounds, weighed 214 in Dec 2015, 161 in Dec 2016, 141 in Dec 2018, and that's about where I'm maintaining.

I suggest that you start by logging how you normally eat for a couple of weeks to collect some data. You can then see where you might reduce your portions and/or make satisfying substitutions.

Do you have any before/after photos you could share? Your starting weight is pretty close to mine and I just can't picture myself at a normal weight because I've been heavy all my life. Also anyone else that wants to share before/during/after photos I would love to see them; they are so motivating!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I was following low carb (25 to 35 carbs per day). I fell off the wagon when my mom passed away a few weeks ago. I'm trying to get back on track. I feel that 25 to 35 carbs is too low for me and I will end up cheating and then feeling like a failure. What do you all consider low carb? I was thinking of setting my daily carbs to 50 to 75. Does that sound reasonable? I mean if I want a sandwich and I eat 2 pcs of lower carb bread I want to feel like that's ok, instead of saying no bread, etc. I will still eat better and limit the higher carb foods. I just feel like I would be more successful this way. Does anyone else allow a few more carbs and still see weight loss? I'm sure I would still lose but maybe not as fast as if I was sticking closer to 25 carbs per day but compared to what I used to eat before low carb this would be great....lol....i was averaging 200 to 300 carbs per day before I started watching my carb intake. So just wanted to get some thoughts and insights from others as to what has or hasn't worked for you. Thanks so much!!

25-35 grams is keto...it's ultra low carb and close to complete elimination.

You also don't have to eat low carb to lose weight...losing weight and weight management in general is about calories. I typically reduce carbs when I cut weight but that's because my protein and dietary fat remain fairly constant regardless of my weight management objectives.

I'd personally consider anything below 130 grams to be low carb.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It really depends on why you are doing low carb. I eat low carb for diabetes. Since I monitor my results, I know that I have to stay under 80g/day. If it were just about satiety, I can handle closer to 100.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I am finding so far that increasing my carb intake is helping me not be as hungry and not feel as deprived. So far today I've had a good day so hoping the rest of the day goes just as good. Just wondering for those that are watching your protein, fiber and fat what is the amount of grams of those you should be having per day? Does it vary by person or what? Thanks for the help!

it does depend on person. it depends on if more carbs satiate them or not. for some that may be 200g,for others it may be 80-100 of carbs. as for fat and protein. again its all about satiation where you are most satisfied. if you dont have any health issues where you have to do say a low fat or low protein diet then play around with the amounts and see where you are most satiated. for protein most say .6-.8g per lb of lean mass some do .6-.8g per lb. some do more. so yes its going to depend on the person.

I do better on higher carb but I cant do higher amounts of fat that usually comes with low carb due to a health issue. so I have to be on a low fat,low cholesterol,high fiber diet. I get about 40 grams of fiber per day, sometimes its a little less,sometimes its more. but that may be too much or not enough for some people. when it comes to weight loss worry most about calories unless you are needing to watch your macros for some reason(training,health issues,etc)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Macros are pretty much personal preference. I think the standard MFP fiber goal for women is 25g which is what I try to get over. The typical recommendation I see on here for general health and muscle retention while losing weight is 0.6-0.8g of protein per lb of goal body weight, and 0.3g of fat per lb of body weight. But these are just general guidelines, not hard and fast rules!